Mike Zimmer Hired as DC

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Moore is the one who started floating how bringing back McCarthy was a solid idea a few days before it was announced, he's obviously being fed lines from the organization.

Ghelken is similar although he doesn't seem quite as biased.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This is obvious, in Minnesota he always had 2 properly sized LB's on the field no matter the situation in Kendricks/Barr, and would play a traditional 3rd LB maybe 25-30% of the time.

I think we might see certain downs and distances with only one traditional LB on the field, but I think it'll basically only be the most obvious passing situations, like 3rd and 8+ or 2nd and 12+. I don't think we'll ever see 1 traditionally sized LB on the field on 2nd and 6 or 3rd and 4 again.

And most of the time his LB's tended to be bigger than average (Barr, Burfict, Maulaga, etc.), so there's definitely going to be some churn there.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I get the feeling LVE is gonna try to keep playing.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I get the feeling LVE is gonna try to keep playing.
That's fine, they should just plan like he's not part of the team and whatever you get out of him is a bonus.

If we sign one legit FA LB I think we'd be fine with a group of FA/Clark/Overshown/LVE with Parsons playing in more traditional LB spaces than he had previously. Add in maybe a late day 2/day 3 rookie and that should be enough.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's fine, they should just plan like he's not part of the team and whatever you get out of him is a bonus.

If we sign one legit FA LB I think we'd be fine with a group of FA/Clark/Overshown/LVE with Parsons playing in more traditional LB spaces than he had previously. Add in maybe a late day 2/day 3 rookie and that should be enough.
Yeah you just can't count on LVE. I think Zimmer needs a real field general on defense in the middle and I don't think we have that guy. There are a few in the draft I really like and a few options in free agency. Just don't count on LVE being that guy because you won't have your general on the field when you need him most.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah you just can't count on LVE. I think Zimmer needs a real field general on defense in the middle and I don't think we have that guy. There are a few in the draft I really like and a few options in free agency. Just don't count on LVE being that guy because you won't have your general on the field when you need him most.
Yea and at the very least I trust what Zimmer wants to do at the position. His first two years in Minnesota he drafted Barr (2014) and Kendricks (2015), with Barr being a top 10 pick and Kendricks being an early 2nd I believe, so I'm good with whatever route we take there assuming we don't just stick with the status quo.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea and at the very least I trust what Zimmer wants to do at the position. His first two years in Minnesota he drafted Barr (2014) and Kendricks (2015), with Barr being a top 10 pick and Kendricks being an early 2nd I believe, so I'm good with whatever route we take there assuming we don't just stick with the status quo.
Young Kendricks is exactly what we need. I still have hope for Damone Clark who was playing out of position last year. I have hope for Overshown who I think makes for a great third LBer (Because he has some safety type coverage ability to sort of not have to sit in nickel all the time). Parsons kind of fills a role at LBer and kind of fills a hole at DE but when you have a guy like that you sort of have to be prepared for when he doesn't play LBer or when he doesn't play DE. So in a way it almost makes you have better depth at both positions.

• Props

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I doubt LVE is able to play whether he wants to or not.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He may be able to play 6-10 games but he should probably preserve his long term health instead. You have money, you have serious health issues that impact quality of life, I would retire if I was him.

• Props

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I know everybody likes to poo on Broaddus but he is around the Cowboys a lot closer than the rest of us. He quickly and emphatically said LVE was done when the other guys were talking about him coming back. Said he talked with his contacts on several players that had questions about staying with Dallas. I wasn't counting on LVE before he said it but take it for what you will.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I know everybody likes to poo on Broaddus but he is around the Cowboys a lot closer than the rest of us. He quickly and emphatically said LVE was done when the other guys were talking about him coming back. Said he talked with his contacts on several players that had questions about staying with Dallas. I wasn't counting on LVE before he said it but take it for what you will.
It happened so early I think people have forgotten now, but at the time the people around the team were saying this was bad and probably would be the end of his career.

p1_

DCC 4Life
It happened so early I think people have forgotten now, but at the time the people around the team were saying this was bad and probably would be the end of his career.
I wonder when he will announce it.

Top Bottom