Mike Zimmer Hired as DC

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Too much personality for Jerry. And Fat Mike would probably see him as a threat.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
New Cowboys DC Mike Zimmer is 'going to test your mettle'

• Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer
  • Feb 13, 2024, 06:00 AM ET

FRISCO, Texas -- There isn't a coach Darren Woodson had in his career he respects more than Mike Zimmer.

They were together from 1994 to 2003 with the Dallas Cowboys. Woodson earned all five of his Pro Bowl appearances after Zimmer came to Dallas as a defensive assistant in 1994. Zimmer was his defensive backs coach for five seasons before becoming his coordinator for four seasons in a career that saw Woodson became the Cowboys' all-time leading tackler.

"He doesn't have any 'back up' in him," Woodson said of Zimmer, who is replacing Dan Quinn as the Cowboys' defensive coordinator. "He's going to set his feet. He will fight your ass tooth and nail, a lot like Bill Parcells. You're going to do it his way. He might not be your best friend. It's not going to be cuddly and kumbaya. That's not happening. He's going to test your mettle."

Zimmer's return to the Cowboys comes at a time when the organization is coming off one of the most disappointing exits in franchise history. A third straight 12-5 finish and NFC East championship that led to a No. 2 seed was done in by an embarrassing 48-32 loss to the Green Bay Packers in the wild-card round at AT&T Stadium.

Quinn left to be the head coach of the Washington Commanders. Secondary coach/defensive passing game coordinator Joe Whitt Jr. left with him to be the defensive coordinator after he was passed over to replace Quinn in Dallas. Defensive line coach Aden Durde was named the defensive coordinator of the Seattle Seahawks.

After Dallas finished fifth in the NFL in yards (299.7) and points (18.5) per game, Zimmer is bringing change in scheme, to a degree, but maybe more so in temperament.

He will have talent. Edge Micah Parsons and cornerback DaRon Bland finish third and fifth, respectively, in balloting for the NFL Defensive Player of the Year. Cornerback Trevon Diggs, a Pro Bowler in 2021 and '22 after totaling 14 interceptions, is returning from a torn left ACL. DeMarcus Lawrence was added to the Pro Bowl.

"He's a great man and he's a phenomenal football coach," said former Cowboys defensive end and current ESPN analyst Marcus Spears, who played for Zimmer for two seasons. "Tough but fair and he cares about his guys. It was great to play for Zim even when he cursed me out."

Bill Parcells did not know Zimmer when he took over as Cowboys head coach in 2003, but it did not take him long to like him. A lot.
"He's a coach's son, and I always liked that because they lived it at the dinner table when they were young," Parcells said. "[Bill] Belichick was the same way. That's the kind of guys they were. But I got to like Mike and we've become good friends."

They continue to talk frequently, and Parcells takes credit for getting Zimmer involved in horse racing. But their bond came in football. Parcells favored the 3-4 scheme, but when he came to Dallas, they had personnel for a 4-3 defense and they finished No. 1 in the NFL in 2003.

By 2005, Parcells moved the defense to a 3-4, and in that draft the Cowboys selected future Hall of Famer DeMarcus Ware, Spears, linebacker Kevin Burnett, defensive end Chris Canty and defensive tackle Jay Ratliff.

Zimmer had no background in that scheme.

"Technique-wise it was relatively simple, so it was just the linebacker play and how to coordinate that, and that involved some new stuff for him," Parcells said. "But he caught on to that easily, and he started to understand what kind of personnel we were looking for in that. That wasn't hard. He's a football guy. He likes the game. He's committed to doing a good job. He's not lazy at all. That's good."

At his stops since -- as a coordinator with the Atlanta Falcons and Cincinnati Bengals and a seven-year run as head coach of the Minnesota Vikings -- Zimmer blended his schemes, though mostly a 4-3. His scheme versatility and ability to mix between man-to-man and zone coverages was an attraction for his return to Dallas.

"Here's what I love, and a lot of people wouldn't have done this, but we're the Super bowl champs and I'm like at the height of my career, and he's showing me all my bad plays," Woodson said. "I'm like holy s---, but it's all what I can work on, and he's breaking it all down with me. That brought us that much closer because I wanted to be better. Again, it wasn't all cuddly. It was, 'This is who you are. Let's figure out how to get better.'"

Woodson liked Zimmer's bluntness. So did Spears. So did a lot of the players he coached.

"He's himself," Parcells said. "That's what he does. That's what people that get along with players are. They don't say you have to get along, but players respect people who are straight-forward, to the point and trying to help them get better. He's the best with them. And the ones that don't like the truth are probably going to have a problem."

Woodson has advice to the players Zimmer is about to coach.

"I would say, 'Man, give him time,'" Woodson said. "He's going to be callous when he comes in. Don't be sensitive. The guy wants to win. He wants to win at all cost. He's the most competitive sumb---- I've ever met. Give him time and you'll get it. You'll understand. You're going to have to be ready. And you're going to bite him too. He's looking for the fight too. Don't back down because he's OK with it. But just have some thick skin."

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I really believe Micah and DLaw are natural fits as 3-4 OLBs, though I wonder if it would be too late for Lawrence to change his stance.

The rest of the front seven though would need a complete overhaul. With Zimmer and his base 4-3, they can focus more on getting the best players they can.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really believe Micah and DLaw are natural fits as 3-4 OLBs, though I wonder if it would be too late for Lawrence to change his stance.

The rest of the front seven though would need a complete overhaul. With Zimmer and his base 4-3, they can focus more on getting the best players they can.
Lawrence played from a 2 point stance last year in some of our defensive formations. So I don't think it would be a problem.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Zimmer hasn't ran a 3-4 in almost 20 years so it's a moot point, but I think Osa can play as a pseudo 5T/4i in 3-man lines here and there. It's not 1996 anymore, 5T's don't have to be 6-6, 300 anymore with how the game has changed.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Zimmer hasn't ran a 3-4 in almost 20 years so it's a moot point, but I think Osa can play as a pseudo 5T/4i in 3-man lines here and there. It's not 1996 anymore, 5T's don't have to be 6-6, 300 anymore with how the game has changed.
Yeah and the 3-4s you see today don't have the 3 Dlineman reading and reacting anymore. Like you said, the 3-4 has changed a lot in the NFL. The 3-4 doesn't always require 3 Dlineman two gapping anymore. Now a lot of times teams are shading those guys and attacking.

Wade Phillips 3-4 for example feels far more like a 5-2 to me.

p1_

DCC 4Life
How the Cowboys helped shape Mike Zimmer into an NFL head coach

Nearing halftime of the 1994 NFC Championship Game, the superstar-laden Dallas Cowboys were teetering on the verge of collapse.

This was America's Team, aiming to reach and win its third straight Super Bowl. And it was getting dominated by the San Francisco 49ers.

Clawing back from an early 21-0 deficit, the Cowboys went blow for blow with the 49ers in this Ali-Frazier-like matchup. With eight seconds remaining in the second quarter, Jerry Rice caught a 28-yard touchdown to put the 49ers up 31-14.

Out of the corner of his eye, Darren Woodson caught two men screaming at each other so aggressively that players and coaches stepped in to separate them on the Cowboys' sideline.

Wide receiver Michael Irvin was venting his frustrations with Dallas' defensive game plan, upset that the defensive backs weren't doubling Rice, who ended up with just two catches for 36 yards in San Francisco's 38-28 victory. Bearing the brunt of Irvin's anger was a 38-year-old Mike Zimmer, in his first season with the Cowboys as the nickelbacks coach.

"And that's when I knew. I was like, this guy is crazy," said Woodson, who spent his entire 12-year career in Dallas. "For one, Michael Irvin is a future Hall of Famer, two-time Super Bowl champ and you're the new guy ... Physically, Zim wanted to fight Michael Irvin and I was like, OK, this guy's crazy. He's something we're going to have to deal with.

"Zim didn't back down from anyone at that time. You just knew he had that special 'it' about him."

Mike Zimmer served as Bill Parcells' defensive coordinator for four seasons in Dallas. Ronald Martinez/Getty Images

Three jobs and 13 years stand between Zimmer and the place where his NFL career started. On Sunday, the Minnesota Vikings coach returns to Dallas, where he spent 13 seasons (1994-2006), first as a position coach and later as defensive coordinator.

The Cowboys gave Zimmer an opportunity to mold his defensive philosophy, win a Super Bowl and cultivate countless relationships with players and coaches, several of whom serve on his staff in Minnesota.

His time with the Cowboys prepared him to become a head coach. As his Vikings take the field Sunday at AT&T Stadium (8:20 p.m. ET, NBC), it's evident that the coach Zimmer is today grew out of the time he spent working with one of the best franchises in history.

Following the 1995 season, his second in Dallas, Zimmer and the Cowboys reached Super Bowl XXX, where they met the No. 2 seed Pittsburgh Steelers.

This was familiar territory for many of Dallas' defensive backs who had been to three Super Bowls in four seasons and won rings following the 1992 and 1993 seasons. It was brand-new for their position coach.

"You guys got your rings, I didn't get one last year," Woodson recalls Zimmer telling his position group. "I want to get this ring so you win this damn game for me. As if we don't have enough pressure on us already."

The Cowboys had a comfortable 10-point margin entering the final moments. With the championship all but won, defensive coordinator Dave Campo made his way down from the coaches' box to the sideline, where he ran into Zimmer, who was intent on staying locked in despite the game's inevitable outcome.

"I'm looking at Zim trying to get the calls in," Woodson said. "There were three plays at the end of that game where I couldn't get his attention, so I'm calling the last three plays because he's pissed off at Campo and screaming at him about not staying up in the booth. They're arguing on the sideline -- people are pulling them apart. I'm looking to get a call and I thought, 'This is Zim, to a T, this is the guy.'

"He always said the game doesn't end until that damn ref blows the whistle. It's like baseball. That spoke directly to who that man was. We're in one of the biggest moments, about to win a championship, and it's his first championship, and he would rather be arguing with the defensive coordinator than celebrating a damn championship. We're on the field, myself and Deion [Sanders], we're laughing at him arguing with Campo. That defines who the guy was."

In the peak of celebration, a trying season had finally come to an end. There was little jubilation postgame. For several minutes, Woodson, Sanders, Super Bowl MVP Larry Brown, Brock Marion and Kevin Smith quietly sat at their lockers with their pads on, exhaling in relief after accomplishing what had been expected of them all season. But they knew in the back of their minds that this dynasty -- the one that won three Lombardi trophies in four seasons -- was about to end.

Across the way in the coaches' locker room, Zimmer shared the same sentiment.

"The year we won the Super Bowl in Dallas was one of the hardest years I've ever had coaching because we were supposed to win," Zimmer said. "We had ups and downs that year and I actually remember going in after the game and sitting down in a chair in the locker room saying, 'Whew, that was a long season.' It was hard, it was difficult. I feel like people believe it's an easy road. It is not."

Zimmer was promoted to defensive coordinator in 2000 when Campo was named Cowboys head coach. Three straight seasons of 5-11 records put Campo on the outs and ushered in the Bill Parcells era. Zimmer was the only coach retained from Campo's staff.

Zimmer built his defense with smaller players whose abilities allowed him to tinker with various coverages and blitzes predicated off speed. Parcells wanted to switch up the defensive scheme from the moment he arrived, unimpressed particularly with the linebacker corps.

Parcells wanted to change from Zimmer's 4-3 defense to the 3-4 he ran with the Jets, Patriots and Giants. But he didn't have the personnel to make the switch during his first two seasons as head coach (2003-04).

"Bill didn't want no 'midget' linebackers," former linebacker Dat Nguyen said, referencing Parcells' sentiments about the position group he inherited. "I remember every day after we worked out, Dexter Coakley and myself would come into the locker room and any time we saw Zim, he gave us that look and would come up to us and say, 'Don't worry about it, guys, we'll prove to Coach that we can play a 4-3 defense.'"

Dallas had the No. 1 defense during the 2003 season but dropped to 16th the following year.

"In the offseason, even when we were No. 1 in the league, he had me studying 3-4 teams," Zimmer said. "And he kept bringing in, having these big ol' linebackers in there that couldn't run real good. You could kind of see where it was going. So he walked in and said 'Hey what do you think about going to 3-4,' like it was a question."

In 2005, the switch was made. Growing pains ensued.

Dallas had drafted Greg Ellis with the eighth overall pick in 1998 as a defensive end. In this new scheme, he made the switch to outside linebacker, which he initially fought.

"I never did it so I was concerned," Ellis said. "Bill had me playing defensive end in the scheme, so my reluctance was I'm going against guys who in some cases weigh a whole 100 pounds more than me and I don't get to use my quickness. In a 3-4, I'm lined up face-to-face with them.

"Zim would call me the 'worrywart' because I always wanted to be good and I felt like, y'all want me to play outside linebacker, I don't know if I can be good at doing that, and I want to be good. But he hung in there with me and was very, very patient. More patient with me than I was with myself."

Parcells tested Zimmer's ability to adapt and succeed (the Cowboys had a top-10 defense the first year of the 3-4). The defensive coordinator had to do more than understand the intricacies of how to beat an offense in a scheme he had little experience with. He had to figure out how to teach a defense to players who were learning along with him.

"That might have been the best thing, in my opinion, for Coach Zimmer," Nguyen said. "When I see him now and what he does ... he has his own philosophies, but I think he learned a lot from Coach Parcells."

Zimmer left Dallas in 2006 for a one-year stint as the defensive coordinator with the Atlanta Falcons, followed by that same job with the Cincinnati Bengals (2008-13) before he received his first shot as a head coach in Minnesota at the age of 58.

Football brought him to Dallas, but it was here where his family established long-standing roots, friendships and memories.

His daughter Corri lives in the Southlake suburb of Dallas in the home Zimmer bought for himself and his late wife, Vikki. Corri, who was 4 years old when Barry Switzer brought her dad on staff, spent her formative years around the Cowboys organization, along with brother Adam, who is the Vikings linebacker coach, and sister Marki. The family used to spend the Fourth of July riding four-wheelers at Sanders' house. The Zimmer girls babysat Sean Payton's preschool-aged children when the current New Orleans Saints coach was the offensive coordinator under Parcells. Their homes were just four or five blocks apart.

Corri can still envision the environment at Texas Stadium, the way it smelled on game days when she attended games with her mother and younger sister.

Mike Zimmer returns to Dallas leading a 6-3 Vikings team that has won four of its past five games. Robert Deutsch/USA TODAY Sports

"Every now and then the fans would get bad and my mom, she'd be sitting in the stands and yell at someone 'You don't know how hard they work!'" Corri Zimmer said.

She witnessed her father's NFL career from the very start and remembers hearing the garage door open at 4 a.m. most mornings when Mike Zimmer headed to work as DBs coach and later defensive coordinator.

Years later, very little has changed.

"I always remember him having the same intensity," Corri said. "It never really grew as he moved up the ladder. I think he's always been intense, he's always been a hard worker and it got him to where he is today."

From owner Jerry Jones to the coaches who came through the organization, the Cowboys created a family environment that welcomed the Zimmers. But every relationship has its share of ups and downs. It wasn't until after Zimmer and Parcells parted ways that their bond grew into what it is today.

"When Parcells got there, he was so strict," Corri said. "Luckily he gave my dad a chance and we got to stick around. He was so strict and he was set in his ways. My dad, he really had a hard time adjusting, but Bill Parcells is his mentor now. He's learned so much from him in that time that they spent together that I think he's really grateful for it, too."

Added Woodson: "Parcells was molding Zim into being a head coach. He was putting him through some steps that would help him grow and be more understanding of defensive concepts through the years. It was hard because you had two stubborn men. I saw those two go at it a ton. Zim wouldn't back down from Parcells as well. I think it made Zim who he is today, made him much more well-rounded on how you attack teams with a 3-4 defense and a 4-3 defense as well on both sides."

Mike Zimmer, now 63, has moved on after 13 seasons in Dallas, but his daughter remains in the place where he began his path toward becoming a head coach. So too do the ties to a place that gave him his shot in the NFL, even after all these years.

"I think he learned something from everywhere he goes," Corri said. "Some of the great head coaches he was under, he has a book for each of them -- the things he liked, the things he learned from them. Being under different head coaches and working for an organization that was winning as much and so successful, I think that has a lot to do with his standards now and the way that he coaches now."

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
Time for Retard Sam to step up and claim the RDE spot so Parsons can play WLB.

p1_

DCC 4Life
name to watch re: Zim's staff hires: Paul Guenther. DCoordinator at Cincy and Defensive assistant at Minny.

Top Bottom