Mike Zimmer Hired as DC

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
name to watch re: Zim's staff hires: Paul Guenther. DCoordinator at Cincy and Defensive assistant at Minny.
I would be surprised if he is not on the staff. Who knows in what capacity unless Fat Mike re-assigns Scott McCurley.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
People on this board have only been saying something along those lines for about two months now.

With that said, I don't think it will take a significant investment to get us to a decent spot. Either spend on someone like Josey Jewell, Willie Gay, etc., or take an Edgerrin Cooper or Payton Wilson in the 2nd and we'll be fine.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I like Zimmer, I've said that from the start. I'm fine with him as DC. But I sort of hate all these ex-players lining up to sing his praises.

Again, not a good dynamic with the HC on the hot seat. It's set up for all the blame to go on the McCarthy if things -- even the defense -- don't go well.

p1_

DCC 4Life
People on this board have only been saying something along those lines for about two months now.

With that said, I don't think it will take a significant investment to get us to a decent spot. Either spend on someone like Josey Jewell, Willie Gay, etc., or take an Edgerrin Cooper or Payton Wilson in the 2nd and we'll be fine.
How about at least one of each FA and draft?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
How about at least one of each FA and draft?
In an ideal world I absolutely would do both. Give me Eichenberg. Hell I think he is a young Josey Jewell anyway.

If course with only one pick in the first, second and third round and no pick in the fourth you can only address so much in the draft. I don't have high hopes for the fifth round and beyond in this draft. I've just read too much stuff saying that the depth isn't there because of a lack of underclassmen declaring.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

p1_

DCC 4Life
Clark is basically all you can count on. Overshown won’t bounce back quick.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Overshown is another guy whose injury happened really early in the process last year. I sure would hope the extra time will allow him to hit the ground running. They can't all be fucking Michael Gallups. But in Michael Gallups instance his injury was at the end of the season and he was pushing just to be ready to start the following season.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Overshown has not even demonstrated he is a solid choice yet. It is almost like we are counting on the guy to be a steal who just happened to take a year off. It is very unintelligent.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Overshown has not even demonstrated he is a solid choice yet. It is almost like we are counting on the guy to be a steal who just happened to take a year off. It is very unintelligent.
Is a third round pick at LBer a steal if they are a solid starter? Isn't that sort of expected out of a LBer pick at that point in the draft? The Cowboys saw him up close before the injury. They probably have a pretty good idea of how good or bad he was preinjury. Now post injury could be a different question. But camp and practices are when teams determine who their best players are before the season starts. Just because us fans don't have the chance to judge doesn't mean the team hasn't already.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Is a third round pick at LBer a steal if they are a solid starter? Isn't that sort of expected out of a LBer pick at that point in the draft? The Cowboys saw him up close before the injury. They probably have a pretty good idea of how good or bad he was preinjury. Now post injury could be a different question. But camp and practices are when teams determine who their best players are before the season starts. Just because us fans don't have the chance to judge doesn't mean the team hasn't already.

I think it would be pretty retarded to count on a big role from Overshown, even if we assume he's healthy. He's an unknown until he shows otherwise and that was true last year before he got hurt also.

Hell, we didn't even count on Mazi (thankfully) last year and he was a first.

You just don't know until you know.

Add a major injury on top of that, and we'd be fools to assume he's a guy we can count on.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You just don't know until you know.
I've heard a number of people talk about it, but teams knows pretty quickly in camp. Fans don't know until the guy hits the field. But teams can tell pretty early if a guy is ready or not. They don't just throw random dudes on the field to find out who is ready.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I've heard a number of people talk about it, but teams knows pretty quickly in camp. Fans don't know until the guy hits the field. But teams can tell pretty early if a guy is ready or not. They don't just throw random dudes on the field to find out who is ready.
They knew last year. In Quinn’s world, they had designs on him. That is why they went all weird because he was expected to play a role. All bets are off in a new system.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They knew last year. In Quinn’s world, they had designs on him. That is why they went all weird because he was expected to play a role. All bets are off in a new system.
This is also true, Zimmer wasn't there. I guess he ca. watch recordings but it's not the same. I'm guessing Quinn knew pretty quickly Mazi was an issue. Which is probably when he started the idea of changing his body.

Top Bottom