Garrett Watch Thread...

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
You can't ignore that the PA passes went down after week 3.
Like I said, I haven't seen a game since Thanksgiving 2016. I was just making a point about playbooks and how you can draw up any play and number the routes Coryell style or give them names Erhardt Perkins style.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Play Action was absent from the majority of the losses.

But I guess, that was all the rookie being all willy nilly and not going with what works.

And stuff.
So, you're saying lack of execution was the issue.

And stuff.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So, you're saying lack of execution was the issue.

And stuff.
Hard to be all about execution when you don't even ask that the execution take place.

I can't fathom how a team can go completely away from what works in an attempt to be deceptive.

But it sure seems that way.

And that was exactly what Garrett did when he was calling the plays. He would immediately overreact to criticism.

Thing is in this case, nobody was criticizing. It is like there was an attempt to be clever that often backfired.

That also is a trait that marked Garrett's tenure as a playcaller.

Naturally, that should tell anyone it just has to be Moore.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Moore didn't tank the offense.

The offensive productivity is what people like you used to pretend that Garrett-run offenses were when you insisted they were "prolific".
There’s no doubt Garrett forced some of his philosophies on Moore. Shit, you could see the offense reverting back to some of the Garrett bullshit and lack of motion game after game. It’s amazing the offense ranked where it did at seasons end.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The point is that it's not a prerequisite to winning. Garrett had many things in his control that were impediments to winning.
For sure. That’s why it’s right that Jerry still fire him.

But I’m just saying, pointing out that he didn’t get to do things the way he wanted is not a slimy move.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
For sure. That’s why it’s right that Jerry still fire him.

But I’m just saying, pointing out that he didn’t get to do things the way he wanted is not a slimy move.
In general I don't like putting the blame on others. Take responsibility for your failure and man up. I'd have a lot more respect for that than blaming the OC or someone else. If you have a problem with Moore than demand to fix it during the season.

p1_

DCC 4Life
In general I don't like putting the blame on others. Take responsibility for your failure and man up. I'd have a lot more respect for that than blaming the OC or someone else. If you have a problem with Moore than demand to fix it during the season.
A lack of accountability always rubbed me raw about Garrett. Sonofabitch, just man up and take some responsibility for yourself!

junk

Not So New Member
Zimmer almost makes sense, but I don't think this is the kind of team where the lunchpail and hardhat blue collar coach guy can keep the team in touch with reality. I think you need a coach that everyone buys into on a different level, either because they are an Xs and Os genius or a charismatic, driven personality.

If a coach can't build an identity for the team then they default to the lazy, swaggering playboy Cowboys.
I'm too dumb to figure out multi quote apparently, but I wanted to include @Sheik's Zimmer odds post in there too.

I think Jerry is dragging it out to see if Zimmer gets canned. Then he moves on from Garrett. I know Wilf sort of endorsed him recently, but that doesn't really mean anything.

There were rumblings about Kubiak. If Minnesota purges their coaching staff, pull Zimmer and Kubiak. Jerry is "comfortable" with Zimmer. He kept him around when Parcells came on board (even though their styles didn't exactly mesh). He and his kid hunt on Jerry's land.

HC: Zimmer
Asst HC/Offensive Advisor/Moore Mentor: Kubiak
OC: Moore
OL: Colombo or Dennison
TE: Pariani
WR: Lal
RB: Brown
QB: Kitna or Kubiak Jr.

DC: George Edwards
DL: Andre Patterson
LB: Zimmer Jr.

Defensive minded HC - check
Training wheels for Moore - check (one of Kubiak's kids is a Cowboys scout and for health reasons Kubiak might be OK with this role)
Familiarity/Comfort for Jerry - double check - Zimmer came in under Switzer so he can still be a Jerry find

Like 0% chance of it happening and it would be far from my first choice, but I could see the appeal from Jerry. Get Norv in there somehow and he'd be really fired up.

BTW, I learned today that Andre Gurode is a defensive assistant with the Cowboys. WTF?

junk

Not So New Member
I don’t think the guy deserves to stay. I don’t even think play calling was going to save his job.

If I had a boss and he told me my job is on the line and I have to reach certain criteria, and I tell him I want the ability to make calls that may directly alter the results of what I’m being judged on, and he says “no”.

That’s a problem.

Jason should have told him to cram the job up his ancient asshole the second his request was refused.
Well, absolutely the Jones are the real problem.

That doesn't mean Garrett isn't a problem too. He's proven he isn't a successful coach (and was given plenty of time). Jeff Fisher has made it farther in the playoffs.

The frustrating thing is that I have no real hope it will get better. Jerry and Stephen won't hire and empower a real coach.

p1_

DCC 4Life

That doesn't mean Garrett isn't a problem too. He's proven he isn't a successful coach (and was given plenty of time). Jeff Fisher has made it farther in the playoffs.

The frustrating thing is that I have no real hope it will get better. Jerry and Stephen won't hire and empower a real coach.
And if you’re honest, the play calling did not do Garrett in. So it wasn’t the issue. Take for a microcosm the 4th and 8 play against the Eagles. Why on Gods green earth would you have Amari Cooper and Randall Cobb on the sideline on the pivotal play of the game?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And if you’re honest, the play calling did not do Garrett in. So it wasn’t the issue. Take for a microcosm the 4th and 8 play against the Eagles. Why on Gods green earth would you have Amari Cooper and Randall Cobb on the sideline on the pivotal play of the game?
That wasn't Garrett's fault either. It was all Lal and Moore.

• Haha
Reactions: p1_

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
He had a zillion fucking chances here. No coach outside of Marvin Lewis gets ten fucking years at a place without actually winning
Here's the sad part....

As bad as Marvin Lewis was, he was still better than Garrett.

Garrett couldn't even stumble into consecutive playoff appearances.

Marvin Lewis made it to the playoffs 5 consecutive years.

Sheik

DCC 4Life

Hey you, nice to see you.

Also, nothing Jerry and Stephen do this off season or any other will ever improve things to where they need to be.

Unless they have a family reunion and sink hole opens up underneath them and devours that entire shit family.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I again do not see this as scapegoating Moore. Who knows what was actually said? But it’s entirely reasonable to argue “If you wanted to see my best chance to save my job then you should have let me call plays.”

It’s entirely reasonable for Jones to say no and terminate him anyway, but that’s on Jones. It’s not underhanded of Garrett to suggest that things were not done the way he would have done them this year, if Moore was in fact calling plays.
It's entirely reasonable to tell the shitbag that "We gave you 6 years of play calling before we deemed you unable to that and did everything else we could think of to help you succeed. Now GTFO and don't let the door hit you in the ass!"

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
It's entirely reasonable to tell the shitbag that "We gave you 6 years of play calling before we deemed you unable to that and did everything else we could think of to help you succeed. Now GTFO and don't let the door hit you in the ass!"
welcome back.

Top Bottom