2022 Draft Weekend Chatter Thread...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Williams makes past the top of the 3rd, I could see us trading up for him. I think we love him that much.
With all the pass rushers still in this draft I think he makes it to the third. It really is a deep DE class. And I think we saw guys drop in the first because teams probably see that depth and figure that they can get a talented guy later.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
He has only played like 5 years of offensive line. He just turned 21. My guess is the technique is bad from inexperience or bad coaching. But you can see, it's all hand placement with this guy. And his hand placement is pretty awful and inconsistent.
I guess you just hope his OL coach was a recruiter and a terrible technique guy. :lol

But you can't teach those feet. I'm really impressed with how quickly he gets his body turned on some of those hook or seal blocks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess you just hope his OL coach was a recruiter and a terrible technique guy. :lol

But you can't teach those feet. I'm really impressed with how quickly he gets his body turned on some of those hook or seal blocks.
No and raw power just seems to be something a guy either has or doesn't have. And any time you're talking guard, I want a dude who can move guys and not be moved by bull rushers. I think this guy has that. He isn't going to get pushed back into Dak's lap and he is going to get a push in the running game to give our backs a lane to run.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
The guy is a turd who has no idea what he is talking about. Fisher just makes shit up as he goes to justify his bullshit rumors.
If you watch him, he mostly shoots down rumors. Even tells you why. It's just a painful journey. Definitely a step above the Cowboys Report but that's faint praise.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
No and raw power just seems to be something a guy either has or doesn't have. And any time you're talking guard, I want a dude who can move guys and not be moved by bull rushers. I think this guy has that. He isn't going to get pushed back into Dak's lap and he is going to get a push in the running game to give our backs a lane to run.
I will say some of those guys he's pancaking are like 210-215 lbs. LOL. He's a bully (and you want that).

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I am off the ledge. Overindexed on Brugler, I think.

I’m still pissed at missing a shot at a top 15 talent in Johnson at 24.

I’m guessing they felt they could make up for it with a pass rusher in the 2nd.

And,,, according to the Joneses… Smith was the last 1st rounder, so Johnson wasn’t even a first rounder according to them :shrug

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
On one hand, I think Smith is a pretty big reach given what else was on the board and his technique/hand usage issues are just too risky for me at 24.

On the other, if we had done the right thing and taken Jermaine Johnson, I would've been all for moving up to the first 5 or so picks of round 2 in an attempt to get Smith, so it's kind of like Frederick in that regard. It also seems like every league insider (not these chucklefuck Cowboys types but the national guys like Jeremiah, Pauline and Schrager) had him going late 1, so it's doubtful he even makes it to round 2.

There has been smoke around the Titans loving him for weeks now and I don't think it's a coincidence that they traded down right after we took him. I also wouldn't have been shocked if the Ravens took him at 25 given their need at RT and that Smith kind of profiles as a riskier Penning in terms of having ideal height/length, nastiness, and so forth.

He was the last "dancing bear" type of OT in the draft in terms of having the elite size (i.e. 6-4+, 310+), length (34+ inch arms) combined with the light feet/athleticism, so there's probably very little chance he would've made it out of round 1, and maybe not even past another pick or two.

With all that said, the most concerning thing for me is that Stephen and the front office loves to tout how "pure" they can draft because of how "efficient" they are at filling holes in FA, but they're developing more and more of a habit of going into FA with a pre-set mindset of what they're going to do in the draft and locking in on a certain position or two that they allow to become needs during FA.

They did it last year with CB and they did it again now with OL. You can't tell me Jermaine Johnson wasn't higher on their board unless he had some crazy medical/character situation, and who here is going to be shocked if they pass on someone like Perrion Winfrey in the 2nd to draft Sam Williams?

They love to tout how they're so focused on BPA but in reality they're doing the exact opposite.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I am off the ledge. Overindexed on Brugler, I think.

I’m still pissed at missing a shot at a top 15 talent in Johnson at 24.

I’m guessing they felt they could make up for it with a pass rusher in the 2nd.

And,,, according to the Joneses… Smith was the last 1st rounder, so Johnson wasn’t even a first rounder according to them :shrug
Smith himself is a risk I wouldn't have taken that high, but going back to last year I've wanted a guy who could step in at LG while projecting as a possible Tyron replacement at LT, so from that perspective I can at least appreciate the gamble.

I can also appreciate the desire to fortify the lines, particularly with size/power, and the fact that the league basically had him pegged as a late 1 by all accounts so it wasn't much of a reach in that regard.

But like you I wish they would've actually went with the BPA in Johnson and let the rest sort itself out.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
So… what was the story with Johnson, really?

I wasn’t buying the top ten bullshit, but really thought he’d go top 15.

Even if the WR run torpedoes that, he still can’t be falling below 20 for no reason, right?

Why did he drop all the way to 26? Teams must have taken him off their boards for a reason.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yeah, no, he was a reach. But what are you going to do in Sept if you don't have a starter? This is the problem with going into the draft with huge holes. We could at least have signed Hernandez. Still can't believe he busted. I would have tried to rehabilitate his mean ass.
Stephen said free agency is not over!!

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Smith isn't a project. Just a dude who will get better. Starts at LG from the get go.
I think he is a project if you start him at LT. I think he can probably play LG right away as a mauler. His technique is too raw to play LT right now. He'd be a flag machine with his technique at LT. But LG isn't so complicated.

And maybe he never develops into a LT and he just becomes a powerful starting LG.

This is your classic I like the player but I don't like him at 24. I think he will work out just like I would have thought had we taken him in the second round. I just don't believe that he was the best at 24. But as most of us know we were locked in to drafting an Olineman and he was the next best available. Outside of Linderbaum, I don't think there was an Olineman any of us would have been thrilled with at 24. And I just don't think the Cowboys liked Linderbaum that much like a lot of NFL teams.

bleedsblue42021117

DCC 4Life
I can't remember an off season this bad since it was sad that we couldn't afford Trent Dilfer.
its bad on paper SO means nothing when real games are played. Feelings don't count how we come together as team in September and beyond is all that matter, just because up to this point no splash moves, big names have been signed, somehow its failure., that's not how it works..

Top Bottom