2022 Draft Weekend Chatter Thread...

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So Bruglar is a dude I trust. NFL.com has him as like the 33rd best player or so. But here is Bruglar's right up and I pretty much agree:

6. TYLER SMITH | Tulsa 6045 | 324 lbs. | rSO. Fort Worth, Texas (North Crowley) 4/3/2001 (age 21.07) #56

BACKGROUND: Tyler Smith grew up in the Fort Worth, Texas area and played on the defensive line at the pee-wee level and middle school. He attended North Crowley High, where he was a three-year letterman and played on varsity as a sophomore defensive lineman. Due to the lack of depth, the coaches moved him to the offensive line as a junior (a position he never played before), starting at left tackle while also seeing snaps at guard and earning First Team All-District and Third Team All-State honors in 2017. As a senior, he again split time between left tackle and left guard, earning All-District honors. Smith also lettered in track and was the 6A Regional shot-put champion as a senior (with a throw of 53’9.75), finishing in the top 10 in the state. His personal best in the discus was 167’7. A three-star offensive guard recruit out of high school, Smith was the No. 133 offensive guard in the 2019 recruiting class and the No. 335 recruit in the state of Texas. A smaller high school, North Crowley combined for only seven wins over his three years on varsity, and he went under-recruited by the major Texas programs, including his hometown TCU. Smith picked up offers from Houston, Navy and Tulsa, and he eventually signed with the Golden Hurricanes. He elected to skip his final two seasons of eligibility and enter the 2022 NFL Draft.

YEAR (GP/GS) POSITION NOTES 2019:
(4/2) LT Redshirted 2020:
(9/9) LT Freshman All-American; First Team All-AAC 2021:
(12/12) LT Second Team All-AAC; Missed the season opener Total:
(25/23) LT

HT WT ARM HAND WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP
COMBINE 6045 324 34 10 3/4 83 1/8 5.02 2.89 1.70 27 1/2 8’9” 4.65 7.78 - (no bench press – choice)
PRO DAY 6047 327 34 1/4 10 5/8 83 1/4 - - - - - - - 25 (bench press only)

STRENGTHS: His frame, length and athleticism are attractive starting points ... carries his 325 pounds well ... agile footwork with the movement skills to cut off difficult rush angles ... bends well with the lower-body flexibility to quickly redirect, reset or recover ... able to anchor at shallow depth ... generates easy power with his upper body to torque or throw rushers out of the club ... flashes violence in his hands with outstanding grip/sustain strength ... excellent leg drive in the run game to displace defenders ... displays the inline power to wash defenders and create running room ... embraces the bully role and finishes with an aggressive attitude to put his man on the ground ... was near 350 pounds when he got to college and started to get more serious about his nutrition.

WEAKNESSES: His fundamentals need to be rebuilt from the ground up ... undisciplined hands, exchange and posture, making him a flag magnet (committed 16 penalties in 2021, including 12 holding calls) ... his hands start at his waist, don’t strike the same place twice and create wasted motion ... his punch timing runs hotcold and he has become too reliant on his forearms and body to shield ... routinely oversets and puts himself in a hole from the jump ... needs to shore up his pass-set angles and be more concise with his steps and depth ... late mentally and must quicken his vision to stay on schedule with what rushers throw at him ... sacrifices his balance for the kill shot ... a move inside to guard should help mask some of his issues, but he was a left tackle only in college and has unproven positional versatility.

SUMMARY: A three-year starter at Tulsa, Smith lined up at left tackle in head coach Philip Montgomery’s up-tempo smashmouth spread. One of the youngest players in the draft (and has only been playing on the offensive line for five years), he earned the starting left tackle job in 2020 and earned All-AAC honors each of the last two seasons. With his size, movement skills and physical brand of football, Smith is the type of young talent ideal for drafting and developing at the right price. However, he relies too much on his aggression, and his chaotic timing and technique lead to balance issues. Overall, Smith is incredibly raw, but he has the play strength and physical traits to get significantly better with technical and mental development. There is a sizable gap between where he is now and his ceiling as a potential NFL starter and will require a patient coaching staff ready for a project.

GRADE: 2nd Round (No. 50 overall)
He has him at 50, not 33.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It all comes down to coaching, if he takes to it he could be the best LT to come out of the draft, if not he could be a flat out bust.

The upside is there, and you could maybe argue the floor is just a solid starting LG, but I still hate taking on that much risk with Johnson, Lloyd and Karlaftis available.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He has him at 50, not 33.
Yeah, I mentioned NFL.com having him at 33 ... But actually I think it was ESPN.

I was trying to say I agree with Bruglar that he was more like 50th in my book. Sort of your typical, 24 is too high but he won't last until your next pick moves.

I don't know that we could have even got him after a trade down though. The NFL is LT thirsty.

Last edited:

shoop

Semi-contributing member
I don't like Linderbaum AT ALL. He's undersized with short arms. There was some analysis saying there has been zero PB centers with arms that short. We already got a small center. We don't need two.

As for the defenders, I agree. I would have taken Jermaine. However, they obviously didn't think he was that good or they would have taken him. But they are going off their analysis which is vastly better than mine or yours. They are the fourth best drafting team in the league so I'm not gonna have a shit fit and act like the sky is falling until I see the guy hit the field.

For every TJ Watt we've missed there are probably far more Johnny Manzels we didn't draft.

That being said, in a couple years we can look back and see if this was bad or not bad. You've been wrong about a lot of picks in the past and so have I.

My main issue with all this is we put ourselves in this situation with some baffling off season decisions. Letting go of Collins and Amari hurt this team and we are gonna be a worse team in 2023 no matter what we do in this draft.
I was fine with letting Collins go. The Cooper decision grinds my gears. Neither of these things would have been detrimental had they done anything worthwhile in free agency.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was fine with letting Collins go. The Cooper decision grinds my gears. Neither of these things would have been detrimental had they done anything worthwhile in free agency.
What bothers me is seeing AJ Brown, Hollywood and other WRs going for first round picks. Yet we got a fucking 5 for 27 year old Cooper. This is why you just hold on to dudes even if you want to trade them. Wait for the right trade and don't be desperate.

bleedsblue42021117

DCC 4Life
Imagine lying so much that no one believes you to the point that when you actually are telling them the truth you have to go this far?

I imagine the Cowboys had Smith higher because of the potential to play LT. Neither Green or Zion is playing LT in the NFL. But I feel a lot safer about those guys at LG.
good thing we don't build teams with fans feelings. That would be catastrophic..:drama

Chocolate Lab

csn this hash tomo
I was trying to say I agree with Bruglar that he was more like 50th in my book. Sort of your typical, 24 is too high but he won't last until your next pick moves.

I don't know that we could have even got him after a trade down though. The NFL is LT thirsty.
Yep, no doubt he wouldn't have lasted much longer.

That doesn't mean he'll be a good player, but he wouldn't have made it even 10 more picks.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Smith isn't a project. Just a dude who will get better. Starts at LG from the get go.
Given his lack of experience, it's probably best that he stays at LG for a couple of seasons. The bonus is his size and strength should instantly make him a better road grinder than Connor Williams.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
actually the Pats took someone who even more of headscratcher i guess BB needs to retire according to the super NFL scouts in here huh?
Man, I'm not going to have the patience for this type shit today. Be warned.

Top Bottom