2022 Draft Weekend Chatter Thread...

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Considering the other thread is 50 pages I thought we might want a new chatter thread, if not the mods can feel free to merge.

At any rate, we're just about 48 hours out now so it's basically go time.

Let's assume the following players are all off the board: 2 QB's (doesn't matter which), 4 WR's (Williams, London, Olave, Wilson), 4 OL (Neal, Ekwonu, Cross, Penning), 4 DL (Hutchinson, Thibodeaux, Walker, Johnson) and 3 DB's (Hamilton, Gardner, Stingley).

That gives us 17, we pick 24, so give me your top 7 of the remaining prospects and just for fun let's bump it up to 15 to get us through the end of the 1st in case we trade down.

1. Jordan Davis (obvious)
2. Devin Lloyd
3. George Karlaftis
4. Zion Johnson
5. Tyler Linderbaum
6. Kenyon Green
7. Arnold Ebiketie

For me there's a bit of a gap between the top 3 and the rest, and then a gap between the 3 OL and Ebiketie. I go back and forth on Lloyd/Karlaftis and have no real preference between the 3 interior OL, but I had to put them in some sort of order.

8. Nakobe Dean
9. Devonte Wyatt
10. Treylon Burks
11. Daxton Hill
12. Jahan Dotson
13. DeMarvin Leal
14. Travis Jones
15. Boye Mafe

Dean would be higher, probably right at 4, but his refusal to run at his size is a bit of a red flag considering we don't have an obvious LB need.

Bonus Question: Where would Chris Olave fall on this list?

I'd have him at probably 6 or 7.

Last edited:

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I like all the guys you listed, but if it came down to guys like Mafe, Ebeketie, Leal, and Jones (you have Travis Jones listed twice) I'd be tempted to bypass them and maybe go with one of the top rated safeties, like Hill or Brisker. I think the drop of the safeties is bigger after them then it is after the DE's and DT's mentioned.

Depending on how far we dropped if we did trade down, then maybe consider guys like Christian Watson, depending on how the WR board looks.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I like all the guys you listed, but if it came down to guys like Mafe, Ebeketie, Leal, and Jones (you have Travis Jones listed twice) I'd be tempted to bypass them and maybe go with one of the top rated safeties, like Hill or Brisker. I think the drop of the safeties is bigger after them then it is after the DE's and DT's mentioned.

Depending on how far we dropped if we did trade down, then maybe consider guys like Christian Watson, depending on how the WR board looks.
Thanks, I was moving guys around and one of those Travis Jones slots should've been Hill.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Considering the other thread is 50 pages I thought we might want a new chatter thread, if not the mods can feel free to merge.
We can just make this the Draft thread for this weekend. We always have a separate thread anyway.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, I was moving guys around and one of those Travis Jones slots should've been Hill.
I'd probably have Pickens above a number of guys you have listed. I'll fully answer your question a little later when I have more time though. Honestly if it got past your top 6 I'm probably trading down. I like Ebiketie but he is too rich for my blood at 24. I think more than 3 DBs go before our pick though. I think you'll see more like 4 or 5. 3 corners are very likely to go before our pick. And I think Hill may jump up into the top 24 of this draft as well. I'm not as high on him but I think some teams are going to be pretty high on him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'd probably have Pickens above a number of guys you have listed. I'll fully answer your question a little later when I have more time though. Honestly if it got past your top 6 I'm probably trading down. I like Ebiketie but he is too rich for my blood at 24. I think more than 3 DBs go before our pick though. I think you'll see more like 4 or 5. 3 corners are very likely to go before our pick. And I think Hill may jump up into the top 24 of this draft as well. I'm not as high on him but I think some teams are going to be pretty high on him.
I have it way different. Pickens may go in the second since he is a little high maintenance. There is a strong chance Ebiketie goes before 24 because after him, there is a drop off until someone pulls the trigger on Ojabo.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
There is a strong chance Ebiketie goes before 24 because after him, there is a drop off until someone pulls the trigger on Ojabo.
I don't know. I think if Ebiketie goes in the first, it will be towards the end. I just don't see him going before our spot. When it's all said and done, I think he will slip out of the first, and somebody will trade up to get him at the top of the 2nd after thinking about it all night.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have it way different. Pickens may go in the second since he is a little high maintenance. There is a strong chance Ebiketie goes before 24 because after him, there is a drop off until someone pulls the trigger on Ojabo.
Teams are going to reach above us. Ebiketie may go before our pick. But I wouldn't be shocked to see him in the second either. I just don't have him worth pick 24 in my book. To me he is a top of the second type talent. Doesn't mean he will last until then, but I wouldn't take him without trading down first.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd be pretty shocked if Ebiketie went ahead of us but I do think he'll be gone by 40 at the latest, and it's probably 50/50 that he ends up sneaking into the late 1st.

24 might be a slight reach for him but I'd do it if the board were so bare that all the top OL were somehow gone.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd be pretty shocked if Ebiketie went ahead of us but I do think he'll be gone by 40 at the latest, and it's probably 50/50 that he ends up sneaking into the late 1st.

24 might be a slight reach for him but I'd do it if the board were so bare that all the top OL were somehow gone.
I see no way Green and Zion are gone by 24. But if they both are, I think someone will have dropped. Maybe it's one of these top 4 WRs, or Davis or whatever. I feel pretty safe that we will have Zion or Green available and unless the knee is a real concern I think the pick is Green. But they could like Zions intangibles more.

Then again, I saw no way last year that both corners would be gone by the time our pick came up. And then, they were.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I see no way Green and Zion are gone by 24. But if they both are, I think someone will have dropped. Maybe it's one of these top 4 WRs, or Davis or whatever. I feel pretty safe that we will have Zion or Green available and unless the knee is a real concern I think the pick is Green. But they could like Zions intangibles more.

Then again, I saw no way last year that both corners would be gone by the time our pick came up. And then, they were.
Yea you never know, it's extremely unlikely but that's why I like to do these little exercises. Like, I'd be completely shocked if the 17 guys I outlined weren't gone before 24, in which case the absolute worst case scenario is a Dean, Ebiketie, Wyatt, Burks, etc.

But in all likelihood I can't see how at least one of Green or Zion aren't there.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yeah one thing you know for sure is at least two or three "WTF" picks will be made before we pick and push players down to us we didn't expect to be there.

Seems like we're right in that area where for years in the early 2000s the Patriots and Steelers and Ravens would have some very good player no one predicted fall right to them.

p1_

DCC 4Life
When you do nothing in free agency you can't afford to put all your eggs in the basket of one player in the draft. We need to hit on 2-3 players in a draft just to keep the team afloat. If you're giving away picks to move up that becomes almost impossible.
they put tremendous pressure on themselves to hit on several players, and they better hit on them. Talk about gamblers.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Simple... don't trade up for a fucking CORNERBACK

That only increases the risk of getting pennies on the dollar.

But trade up for a legit top ten lineman or pass rusher and you are going to come out ahead
Retarded. You don't have a damn clue if a player is going to wash out or be a HOFer. Or any where in between.

This cornerback hatred is just stupid. Unless you think EVERY front office in the NFL is retarded for making them a priority, and paying them as such.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
When you do nothing in free agency you can't afford to put all your eggs in the basket of one player in the draft. We need to hit on 2-3 players in a draft just to keep the team afloat. If you're giving away picks to move up that becomes almost impossible.
The draft is not about fixing your team for a single year but building it for many years.

With Smith and Martin aging, Dallas is missing impact players on either line. You can't win that way in the NFL.

You have to either get lucky and somehow find an impact lineman after pick 15 (rare as fuck) or trade up and get them.

Top Bottom