The Coronavirus Thread...

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
The health experts, looking to excuse the protesters, lost all credibility when they proclaimed racism a public health crisis. Um, no. It's a sociological problem.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is hipocracy on both sides, trust me. 2-3 weeks ago you guys were spiking the football and saying the whole thing was a hoax. I can give you a link if you like.

I notice they blame the State reopening on April 30th as part of the cause. But with 5-12 days to show symptoms doesn't that appear to be a pretty weak argument to blame something that happened 6 weeks ago? Can we not say the stay at home orders were excessive and not so impactful while at the same time saying protests of thousands of people packed shoulder to shoulder are likely to blame?

Seems pretty obvious to me. But I'm also not in panic mode. If people want to protest and risk getting sick I think that's their right. Just like going to a restaurant or pool party and having a drink. Since you thought that forced quarantines were justified are you condemning the protests for putting people at risk?

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I notice they blame the State reopening on April 30th as part of the cause. But with 5-12 days to show symptoms doesn't that appear to be a pretty weak argument to blame something that happened 6 weeks ago?
I wouldn't say that. I'm not sure there was much of a choice but to reopen. But there always was going to be a price to it. As for the timing, it's not turning on a faucet. People venture out tentatively at first and then get more and more confident/sloppy. Then you have the people who were sick getting better so you have many of the sick recovered and no longer able to spread. Yes any one person may get the virus and take 5-12 days to manifest but perhaps the people getting sick are young and not getting tested. So then they spread it to their friends who also don't get tested, but eventually to their friend who lives with their extended family and then the older individuals get ill enough to present. So there is a bit of inertia to these things.

The best site for predictions is this one - IHME | COVID-19 Projections This is the model the white house used until is no longer fit their PR strategy. It's still a decent resource and I love how it can break things down by state.

My beef is that there is very poor communication at every level as to what people should be doing. You got the local people getting contradicted by the governor. Meanwhile you got the President just running his mouth aimlessly and contradicting the CDC. You can't just get clear information like - wear a mask it will protect you and others. How hard is that? Instead you get this mealy mouth bullshit about wear if you want. Just give a strong recommendation and all sides should be consistent. Don't arrest people or fine them unless you are having a huge bloom.

Can we not say the stay at home orders were excessive and not so impactful while at the same time saying protests of thousands of people packed shoulder to shoulder are likely to blame?
No, the stay at home orders were appropriate as we had a logarithmic growth in cases. This has been studied and is generally agreed upon by informed people. We needed to flatten the curve - stretch it out and keep from overloading the hospitals where you lose people you might not otherwise. Also give time for some treatments to be developed (e.g. dexamethasone, not e.g. hydroxychloroquine). People have changed their behavior now - notably at risk people - and we aren't seeing the log spikes, more of a slow burn nationwide.

The spike started before the protests. Any suggestion otherwise is factually incorrect. Now could the protests cause more spread? Undoubtedly. But trying to keep tens of thousands of people from protesting across the entire nation is a fool's errand. Fortunately most of protesters are young. However, often the young folks are the spreaders so you really see the spikes once they come home to their families. That's why it's important to get the message that people at those protests need to be tested.

Seems pretty obvious to me. But I'm also not in panic mode. If people want to protest and risk getting sick I think that's their right. Just like going to a restaurant or pool party and having a drink. Since you thought that forced quarantines were justified are you condemning the protests for putting people at risk?
Certainly if they catch something and bring it home they are going to be morally responsible. Just the same as the Spring Breakers and the people on beaches. Same as the Trumpers in Tulsa. I'm not really for jailing people as much as educating them. This is my biggest frustration. The fact that you have two media echo chambers that are telling people the opposite things. For fuck sake, we're in this together - it's a PUBLIC health issue.

Last edited:

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I think you have one side wanting to have it both ways, though.

In one breath they want to tell you this is far from over and it’s irresponsible to re-open businesses and go to church, while in the next breath they give no fucks when it comes to lunatics out arm and arm protesting something that literally everyone thinks is an injustice and is open to fixing.

Either it’s bad all the time or none of the time. The mainstream liberal media wants to have it both ways.

The conservative media I’ve noticed is railing against that idea. They’re essentially saying if it’s good for the goose, it’s good for the gander.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
You know what else makes me belly laugh about this shit?

The media was just gaining traction on the virus being a racist virus because black and brown people were getting the virus at a disproportionate rate.

Then they drop it and tell blacks that they can go out and riot together. Rona be damned.

How are you going to act like you care about people, then let them endanger themselves? Fuckin dopes.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I think you have one side wanting to have it both ways, though.

In one breath they want to tell you this is far from over and it’s irresponsible to re-open businesses and go to church, while in the next breath they give no fucks when it comes to lunatics out arm and arm protesting something that literally everyone thinks is an injustice and is open to fixing.

Either it’s bad all the time or none of the time. The mainstream liberal media wants to have it both ways.

The conservative media I’ve noticed is railing against that idea. They’re essentially saying if it’s good for the goose, it’s good for the gander.
I get that. But the problem is it displays incredible lack of self awareness.

Also, complaining about people risking illness to protest police violence vs sitting your ass on a beach sucking down coronas is a little different.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
You know what else makes me belly laugh about this shit?

The media was just gaining traction on the virus being a racist virus because black and brown people were getting the virus at a disproportionate rate.

Then they drop it and tell blacks that they can go out and riot together. Rona be damned.

How are you going to act like you care about people, then let them endanger themselves? Fuckin dopes.
Nobody credible is saying this. You're setting up a straw man.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Also, complaining about people risking illness to protest police violence vs sitting your ass on a beach sucking down coronas is a little different.
I don’t agree with that. I can maintain my distance from people and respect their personal space on a beach with my family.

If protestors were 6 feet apart and peaceful, I wouldn’t have a problem with it and wouldn’t have a problem with the media blasting one over the other.

The virus doesn’t care if you’re having a good time or fighting for justice.

You can’t be considered rational if you will condemn a political rally, but won’t condemn rioters/looters/protestors.

Call it down the middle.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I get that. But the problem is it displays incredible lack of self awareness.

Okay, what about protesters in Michigan protesting for their civil rights versus BLM on the streets protesting for their civil rights? Is there a difference there? Because the media would have you believe there is a difference. And, there fucking isn't.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Okay, what about protesters in Michigan protesting for their civil rights versus BLM on the streets protesting for their civil rights? Is there a difference there? Because the media would have you believe there is a difference. And, there fucking isn't.
Yeah I don't think the conservative side is condemning protest because of the risk of spread of the virus. They are simply pointing out the hypocrisy of the other side. On the other hand the Democrats clearly are picking and choosing what protests are dangerous and which ones that aren't. And it's laughable.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
No fucking shit, the left always strawmans our side with "they just want a haircut" or "to go to a bar" when the majority were fighting for the barber and bar owner to earn a living and not lose their lives work

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
This shit is out of hand. Let's just get this war on and get it over.
Yep, I'm ready, I even changed my boogaloo patch on my kit to a poohgaloo one so Booze can't accuse me of being a white supremacist

lostxn

DCC 4Life
There is an enormous difference. You are talking about the right to not be harassed, assaulted and murdered by law enforcement vs being asked to restrict your activities for a short period of time in the interests of public health. I get the whole "don't tell me what to do" vibe is strong in the hearts of the RW but sometimes the advice is in your best interest.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
There is an enormous difference. You are talking about the right to not be harassed, assaulted and murdered by law enforcement vs being asked to restrict your activities for a short period of time in the interests of public health. I get the whole "don't tell me what to do" vibe is strong in the hearts of the RW but sometimes the advice is in your best interest.
JFC you're a pos, people close to losing their businesses and everything they had put their life into and you still want to gaslight that it was just "don't tell me what to do" I swear to God if you show at the DCC convention I'm beating your ass

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
The virus can't distinguish between political causes or whose protest was more "pure."

Top Bottom