Redskins at Cowboys | Week 6 Game Day Chatter Thread | 10/13/2013

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I think we absolutely abandoned the run last night. We didn't go back to it until we were up by 15, that's where most of our carries came from.

I found last night's complete disregard for the run, especially on that drive where we went spread the entire time, to be much more egregious and arrogant than, frankly, any other time you guys have complained about abandoning the run.

I thought it was extremely arrogant and a poor decision given the Redskins run defense, the time left, the lead we had, and the fact that Romo looked off and needed to be calmed.

It worked out by getting us a FG but I thought it was a very poor decision.
I absolutely agree. I think we were all in the thread begging and screaming for them to mix in a few run plays but it never happened.

They got away with it last night because they were playing a bad team but more times than not that type of arrogance is what costs us games.

What made it worse is the fact that Romo was struggling and they didn't even entertain the idea of trying to run the ball.

I'll be so glad when we overhaul the entire offensive staff.

Cotton

Staff member
I absolutely agree. I think we were all in the thread begging and screaming for them to mix in a few run plays but it never happened.

They got away with it last night because they were playing a bad team but more times than not that type of arrogance is what costs us games.

What made it worse is the fact that Romo was struggling and they didn't even entertain the idea of trying to run the ball.

The issue is we did get away from it, so expect to see it again.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

Said it before, hugely disappointed with Callahan for that reason. He was supposed to be more run oriented than Garrett. He's just as bad.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's funny, in Jason Witten's rookie season he only topped 50 yards in a game once, and took until week 16 to score a TD (coincidentally on his longest reception of the year, a whopping 36 yards). He had exactly four games in which he caught more than three passes on a team where our options were stars like Antonio Bryant, Joey Galloway's bum leg, Terry Glenn and of course the great Dan Campbell. He played in 15 games, averaged 2 receptions and 20 yards per game.

But ya'll know better. Escobar with a 16.5 YPR average, 3 first downs on four catches and a TD is never gonna amount to anything. Prognosticator of pronosticators.
Witten was involved in the offense from day 1, he had 35 receptions as a rookie.

Cotton

Staff member
Witten was involved in the offense from day 1, he had 35 receptions as a rookie.
Plus, Witten was a strong blocker coming out of college. Escobar can't block for shit.

D

Deuce

35 catches as a rookie backup with QC throwing to you.

Somehow that's equal to less production by Escobar.

D

Deuce

I just went back and looked at that '03 roster that Witten was a rookie on...holy crap. I've never seen such a pile of shit that could win 10 games. Parcells used every last ounce of magic to make that team work.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Plus, Witten was a strong blocker coming out of college. Escobar can't block for shit.
Actually, Tuna used to needle him as a "pass catching TE" because his blocking skills were so weak.

superpunk

Banned
For the idiots:

What I'm saying - it's ok for a rookie, especially a TE playing BEHIND a future HOFer (as opposed to Campbell, Dan) as maybe the 7th offensive option to begin slow in terms of production. It's normal.

What I'm not saying: Escobar is the next Witten. Dumbasses.

It's idiotic to write the seventh option in our offense off for a slow start in 6 games just because you've spouted off for the last 7 months about how Jerruh, Goof Son and whatever you call Garrett were sooooooo dumb for picking another TE and you want to feel vindicated from your couch with your beergut. loltwoTEoffense, etc.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
No. Not even close.
Much better than Escobar.

For what it's worth, his horribleness in blocking is the #1 reason I'm down on him. I don't see any way he can be a full time player unless he improves on that dramatically.

I could see him being a functional receiver if he was the main TE, but I don't think he's good enough to really take any pressure off anyone (which is what would happen if he was eating up single coverage). That is another reason people are upset, he's more insurance than an impact as your second TE. Doesn't mean he can't be a good player, its just that you'd like more impact for the next 4-5 years while Witten is still here.

Cotton

Staff member
Actually, Tuna used to needle him as a "pass catching TE" because his blocking skills were so weak.
His pass blocking skills weren't the best, but all of his draft profiles even say he was a strong blocker coming out of college.

superpunk

Banned
Much better than Escobar.

For what it's worth, his horribleness in blocking is the #1 reason I'm down on him. I don't see any way he can be a full time player unless he improves on that dramatically.

I could see him being a functional receiver if he was the main TE, but I don't think he's good enough to really take any pressure off anyone (which is what would happen if he was eating up single coverage). That is another reason people are upset, he's more insurance than an impact as your second TE. Doesn't mean he can't be a good player, its just that you'd like more impact for the next 4-5 years while Witten is still here.
In the meanwhile we can all bemoan how this was a completely wasted pick six games into his career. Because there's no way he could improve.

Cotton

Staff member
In the meanwhile we can all bemoan how this was a completely wasted pick six games into his career. Because there's no way he could improve.
Yes, we can. And we will.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Of course he can and probably will improve.

That being said, we've also seen this story before. Even taking into account likely improvement, what he's shown on the field so far makes him look like he's going to improve into an Anthony Fasano.

Who is a player I very much like and stood up for on many occasions. But simply put that is not good enough return on a second round pick.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Of course he can and probably will improve.

That being said, we've also seen this story before. Even taking into account likely improvement, what he's shown on the field so far makes him look like he's going to improve into an Anthony Fasano.

Who is a player I very much like and stood up for on many occasions. But simply put that is not good enough return on a second round pick.
The Cowboys would have been much better off using that pick on a DL...there was absolutely 0 need for another TE.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Fasano sleeps well at night knowing he had someone standing up for him.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
It could be that Escobar was a bad pick in the 2nd round and the Jerry apologist is wrong yet again.

Top Bottom