Redskins at Cowboys | Week 6 Game Day Chatter Thread | 10/13/2013

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I find the timing interesting though. He was out there quite a bit last week. Had a nice down the field grab early but was the target on the game-ending INT. Curious if that was a reason for him not getting playing time tonight.

On the plus side, Frederick has looked good and I really like what I'm seeing from Terrence Williams the last couple of games. But in order to turn the corner we are going to have to have at least a couple of monster draft classes. Look at any SB team and you will find at least 2 of those type draft classes as well as hitting on just about every 1st and 2nd round pick over several years time.

Using a 1st and 2nd on a CB and then missing on an obvious WTH pick like Escobar isn't going to get it done.
Correct. It's nice to not completely whiff on a draft... but sad that we are excited that it looks like we got two players out of it, Wow!

We need a draft where we hit on four or five guys. A draft that had landed us Sharrif Floyd, Travis Frederick, and Terrance Williams would have been better, even. Hopefully Wilcox and Webb turn into long term pieces so we don't have to keep spending high picks on DBs at least.

townsend

Banned
Correct. It's nice to not completely whiff on a draft... but sad that we are excited that it looks like we got two players out of it, Wow!

We need a draft where we hit on four or five guys. A draft that had landed us Sharrif Floyd, Travis Frederick, and Terrance Williams would have been better, even. Hopefully Wilcox and Webb turn into long term pieces so we don't have to keep spending high picks on DBs at least.
If Wilcox and BW land that makes this a really good draft. Just one with a single, inexplicably stupid pick. Most good drafts have at least one crap first day selection: Kevin Burnett (2005), Al Johnson (2003). That's all our good drafts this decade, but you get my point.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Right now we have 3 starters out of the draft basically (Terrance Williams is starting in my book, even if the announcers say otherwise). So I'm not sure why we are pretending like we only hit on 2 players. To have 3 rookies starting and making major contributions is damn good. If you can get 2 long term starters/probowl players in every draft you're doing excellent. You're team would essentially always be loaded with top talent.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
A guy I thought who played really well but isn't being talked about is Drake Nevis. If you just looked at his stat line you would have no idea, but I thought he did an excellent job of collapsing the pocket and was relied on heavily in this game where injuries were taking D-lineman out left and right. Hopefully he can continue to step up and seal the deal on a couple of big plays.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Right now we have 3 starters out of the draft basically (Terrance Williams is starting in my book, even if the announcers say otherwise). So I'm not sure why we are pretending like we only hit on 2 players. To have 3 rookies starting and making major contributions is damn good. If you can get 2 long term starters/probowl players in every draft you're doing excellent. You're team would essentially always be loaded with top talent.
Who's the 3rd player we hit on?

Are you counting Wilcox? He's basically starting by default due to the severe lack of talent at FS. Remember Matt "China Doll" Johnson was their plan at FS.

So I'm not going to prop Wilcox for earning a starting job. It's like propping Caesar Rayford for breaking into the rotation at DL.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Who's the 3rd player we hit on?

Are you counting Wilcox? He's basically starting by default due to the severe lack of talent at FS. Remember Matt "China Doll" Johnson was their plan at FS.

So I'm not going to prop Wilcox for earning a starting job. It's like propping Caesar Rayford for breaking into the rotation at DL.
The man is starting and he earned it over a pet cat of our defensive coordinator. He didn't get put in the starting lineup due to injury, he did it by beating out the free agent we signed in the offseason to start.

If we are going to talk about "hits" you also have to consider that guys like Holloman making any contribution is basically a hit.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was bad enough on the one play in the 3rd or 4th when the game was still close, Orakpo was taken to the ground with no call. Dallas got a first down on that play. I turned to my wife and said, "the fix is in. We can't win this game." I NEVER have said that before about officiating in any NFL game. We must have gotten called for 4 holds vs Dallas with none, and they had Rak from the first possession.

:lol The fix is in!!!!

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They can't comprehend why you're not allowed to block someone into the ball. They think that overturned fumble recovery was complete BS.
:lol

They are idiots over there. I was well aware of the rule that you can't block someone into the ball. It shouldn't be all that surprising that you can't knock a player into the ball and then call it a fumble. I did think the game was officiate poorly but most of that went in the Redskins favor. Our defensive line coach got a god damn penalty on a play that would have set up a second and 20 instead resulting in a first down. A play where our coach was pissed off because the officials blew an easy call on the field. How often do you see a coach penalized for yelling at the refs?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Over at ES they have a thread where they are bitching about the refs.

They can't comprehend why you're not allowed to block someone into the ball. They think that overturned fumble recovery was complete BS.

But of course they didn't have any problems with the weak personal foul penalties called for minor contact on RGIII.
Idiots.

Cotton

Staff member

:explode

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We actually look capable of running in situations where we have to get a yard or two. It's clearly a result of our improved O-line. I just hope Murray's injury isn't too bad. For as much as everyone on here rags on him, he is an excellent RB.

townsend

Banned
It is amazing that we didn't abandon the run last night, without Murray. Especially since we did it quite a few times the year, while he was healthy. Kudos to the coaching staff.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It was bad enough on the one play in the 3rd or 4th when the game was still close, Orakpo was taken to the ground with no call. Dallas got a first down on that play. I turned to my wife and said, "the fix is in. We can't win this game." I NEVER have said that before about officiating in any NFL game. We must have gotten called for 4 holds vs Dallas with none, and they had Rak from the first possession.

:lol

Stupid ass, delusional fans.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The staff only stays committed to the run when we have the lead, as soon as we get down by just about any margin we pass at least like 70% of the time.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm not counting Wilcox yet because I don't know how good he will be, starting means nothing if he sucks.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
A guy I thought who played really well but isn't being talked about is Drake Nevis. If you just looked at his stat line you would have no idea, but I thought he did an excellent job of collapsing the pocket and was relied on heavily in this game where injuries were taking D-lineman out left and right. Hopefully he can continue to step up and seal the deal on a couple of big plays.
I'd like to get excited but we all got excited about Selvie too when really those guys are just backups and our DL has been a major weakness at times.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

While it's true they had a couple holding calls and we had none, the fix is usually in against us most weeks, plus they made up for it with ticky-tack roughing calls against Griffin.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It is amazing that we didn't abandon the run last night, without Murray. Especially since we did it quite a few times the year, while he was healthy. Kudos to the coaching staff.
I think we absolutely abandoned the run last night. We didn't go back to it until we were up by 15, that's where most of our carries came from.

I found last night's complete disregard for the run, especially on that drive where we went spread the entire time, to be much more egregious and arrogant than, frankly, any other time you guys have complained about abandoning the run.

I thought it was extremely arrogant and a poor decision given the Redskins run defense, the time left, the lead we had, and the fact that Romo looked off and needed to be calmed.

It worked out by getting us a FG but I thought it was a very poor decision.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd like to get excited but we all got excited about Selvie too when really those guys are just backups and our DL has been a major weakness at times.
It's been a major weakness at times this year but it has also been a major strength at times this year. Overall the D-line play hasn't been the biggest problem with the defense this year. It's has been absolutely horrific coverage at times. Which I was impressed against the Skins with regards to our coverage. We saw a lot more man coverage which isn't exactly a Kiffin hallmark but our corners seem to play better when they are allowed to press and man up.

Top Bottom