Mike Zimmer Hired as DC

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
At least it's just McCarthy and Zimmer. No Joneses at all. That's better optics, if nothing else.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Just watched the whole PC. I wish this could work, because I really like Zimmer and his no-nonsense style. There were plenty of questions about how tough he was, jokes about his being a jerk, and he said he just wants to get the players better, and the ones who want to be great understand that. They may not appreciate it until later, but they eventually do. So he doesn't shy away from being tough.

Of course he wouldn't get into any potential changes when they don't even have the staff hired yet, but reading between the lines at the end, I kind of suspect he doesn't think they were that well coached on defense. Said the team had "the best offense in the league and a lot of good players on defense." Makes me think that after a few years, maybe Quinn did get too buddy-buddy with the guys and they weren't very disciplined.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Quinn did get too buddy-buddy with the guys and they weren't very disciplined.
Yeah I think this is probably the biggest issue that Zimmer see's. The players were not disciplined. And honestly I think Quinn allowed guys to freelance too much. They were talking about it on the radio the other day but I guess Quinn basically gave D-lineman the freedom to stunt even if it wasn't called. That sort of shit is a head scratcher to me. Of course we weren't sound on run defense when you're allowing your DE to basically jump gaps, or stunt inside. Guys are basically just out there free lancing up front. Sure, it's fun when you get pressure but when you don't, man that can end ugly. So yes, I'm sure Zimmer looks at prior coaching and see's a lack of discipline.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah I think this is probably the biggest issue that Zimmer see's. The players were not disciplined. And honestly I think Quinn allowed guys to freelance too much. They were talking about it on the radio the other day but I guess Quinn basically gave D-lineman the freedom to stunt even if it wasn't called. That sort of shit is a head scratcher to me. Of course we weren't sound on run defense when you're allowing your DE to basically jump gaps, or stunt inside. Guys are basically just out there free lancing up front. Sure, it's fun when you get pressure but when you don't, man that can end ugly. So yes, I'm sure Zimmer looks at prior coaching and see's a lack of discipline.
Street balling at times creates more turnovers, which was the one thing Quinn could hang his camo hat on.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Street balling at times creates more turnovers, which was the one thing Quinn could hang his camo hat on.
Yeah, that's exactly what these guys were doing. Hey, do whatever it takes to get to the QB. Maybe that creates an easy lane for him to scramble but just do what it takes to disrupt things. Makes a ton of sense why we got gashed at times and other times our pass rush look unstoppable. That disruption also leads to turnovers. I get it but over the long haul it doesn't work against the good teams.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
:lol

I'm with you.

I suspect they'll be better in some areas but too many of our best players don't seem to have a killer instinct or they're distracted by the fame and notoriety that comes with being a Dallas Cowboy.
On Micah's podcast the other day, Lamb said "Let's make more millions and score more touchdowns." Not "Let's win more games."

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
:lol

I'm with you.

I suspect they'll be better in some areas but too many of our best players don't seem to have a killer instinct or they're distracted by the fame and notoriety that comes with being a Dallas Cowboy.
Each team is different, but Mazi hurt last year's team more than any other single player I can recall in a long while.

We have a DL rebuild to conduct.

For Micah to work at DE, you either need serious beef at the other three spots, or to always be playing with the lead.

It's not easy to build rhythm or position mastery as a front seven player if you are changing roles from play to play. Not only does Micah switch roles, but there's a domino effect too.

Frankly I'd rather he stand up as a free-ranging LB who blitzes a lot. Then build a tough, durable, motivated, and yes bigger front four that keeps blockers off of Micah.

That basically solves the LB problem and lets us focus at improving vs the run.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Each team is different, but Mazi hurt last year's team more than any other single player I can recall in a long while.

We have a DL rebuild to conduct.

For Micah to work at DE, you either need serious beef at the other three spots, or to always be playing with the lead.
I think DL is the position that we see them go overboard trying to address this offseason. From what I've seen we wont have much cap room to work with so I expect the potential upgrades to come via young, cheap sleeper FAs, a la Kearse a few years ago, and draft picks.

As for Mazi, I'm wondering if it would be better to dump him off on another team ASAP while you can still sell his "potential", or should they sit back and trust that Zimmer's scheme will be a better match for his abilities.

Top Bottom