Mike Zimmer Hired as DC

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It makes a difference. And there is a reason that coach contracts are not publicized in either dollars or years. There are some over and underpaid MFers running around.

For right now though I don't think it matters much given McCarthy's status.

Genghis Khan

Former NFL head coach Bill Parcells - who worked with "Zim" in Dallas from 2003-2006 - had nothing but great things to say about the Cowboys' new/old defensive coordinator.

“He’s a coach’s son, and I always liked that because they lived it at the dinner table when they were young," Parcells told ESPN.

“[Bill] Belichick was the same way. That’s the kind of guys they were. But I got to like Mike and we’ve become good friends.”

Parcells said he expects Zimmer to continue where he left off in Dallas defensively.

"He’s himself. That’s what he does. That’s what people who get along with players are. They don’t say you have to get along, but players respect people who are straightforward, to the point, and trying to help them get better," Parcells said.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yeah, looking at Guenther on Wiki, he may be done. Fired midseason as DC with the Raiders, then senior assistant for Zimmer.

He also seemed to be more a LB coach than DL coach?

Anyway, they might want someone younger.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, looking at Guenther on Wiki, he may be done. Fired midseason as DC with the Raiders, then senior assistant for Zimmer.

He also seemed to be more a LB coach than DL coach?

Anyway, they might want someone younger.
I mean you can't have all defensive coaches Zimmer's age. I'm glad Al Harris is sticking around. But maybe in some sort of a consultant capacity. I just think it's maybe easier for a hard ass old man to have some younger guys to relate the message to the players in terms of position coaches.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I mean you can't have all defensive coaches Zimmer's age. I'm glad Al Harris is sticking around. But maybe in some sort of a consultant capacity. I just think it's maybe easier for a hard ass old man to have some younger guys to relate the message to the players in terms of position coaches.
Plus it's just physically demanding, especially with someone who shows up at 4:00 am like Zimmer. I can't imagine being late 60s and working those hours every day. I'm not sure I can imagine it now.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Former NFL head coach Bill Parcells - who worked with "Zim" in Dallas from 2003-2006 - had nothing but great things to say about the Cowboys' new/old defensive coordinator.

“He’s a coach’s son, and I always liked that because they lived it at the dinner table when they were young," Parcells told ESPN.

“[Bill] Belichick was the same way. That’s the kind of guys they were. But I got to like Mike and we’ve become good friends.”

Parcells said he expects Zimmer to continue where he left off in Dallas defensively.

"He’s himself. That’s what he does. That’s what people who get along with players are. They don’t say you have to get along, but players respect people who are straightforward, to the point, and trying to help them get better," Parcells said.

I love Parcells but at this point (his age/removal from the game) I'm not putting a TREMENDOUS amount of stock into old cliches he's always clung to, especially about old coaches he coached with in the past.

Genghis Khan

I love Parcells but at this point (his age/removal from the game) I'm not putting a TREMENDOUS amount of stock into old cliches he's always clung to, especially about old coaches he coached with in the past.

That's fair.

He definitely loves Zimmer though, and I think that counts for something.

I don't put any stock in it though.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree but I think Parcells knows people and work ethic. And it still means something when he tells you that a guy is a great coach. Now scheme wise or relatability to young players, sure Parcells is past his time on that. Maybe hanging mouse traps up in the locker room isn't going to have the same impact on this generation. But at the same time this team sure could use a message like that. Someone to tell them they aren't shit yet because they haven't won shit.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Filling up those front 7 holes for the new D coordinator. Zim has to be elated.

Top Bottom