Dak Watch Thread...

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The difference is people are biased, stats aren't. Its why two people can watch the same thing and have totally different opinions. A fan who comes in thinking Dak's average is going to see a great performance and go, meh, it wasn't that good. But then watch the same performance from a QB they think is great and see greatness. Our preconception will impact our evaluation.

Stats are wonderful because they don't lie. A QB has one of the highest averages of yards in the air with his ball, he isn't a dink and dunk QB. Even though some fans with their bias will still think the guy is a dink and dunk QB. Unfortunately our eyes sometimes deceive us.
This is not entirely correct. Stats tell a factual representation of something that happened on the field and yes, those stats are unarguable facts, but at the same time, the conclusions drawn from those facts are quite often capable of misleading. Especially when the person quoting the facts doesn’t understand what they are talking about.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
I agree. But then again, I'm not the guy that said "I don't care about the stats", which started the debate in the first place.

But I'm sure that's 'my fault' somehow anyway.
Holy hell man, I said I don’t care about what those two stats say relative to that one specific point that I was making. A point that you yourself have yet to elaborate on, or even state where you stand.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Holy hell man, I said I don’t care about what those two stats say relative to that one specific point that I was making. A point that you yourself have yet to elaborate on, or even state where you stand.
You said "I don't care about the stats". Do I need to quote your exact post?

Am I losing my mind over here? I’ve already accepted that Dak will get his deal, and that at least in the short term it’s better than moving on and hoping we find an alternative, but the slurping this guy is getting right now is beyond me.

I’m not saying he is a bad QB, or that he isn’t a good one. But all this fluff makes it sound like he is the second coming of Wilson. I don’t care about stats. I know what I saw last year. This dude is not the player the media is making him out to be.
If you now want to clarify what you actually meant, I'm down to hear it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Dak had good stats against winning teams but few victories.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Stats aren't the be all end all but along with evaluation, they are definitely important. Saying one works without the other is a little disingenuous.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
You said "I don't care about the stats". Do I need to quote your exact post?

If you now want to clarify what you actually meant, I'm down to hear it.
Man, you’re about as dense as an oak tree. If I had a dollar for every time i’ve explained that I said I don’t care about stats in regards to the argument that he is elite, specifically those two stat, there would be no mask shortage right now.

And still yet, you refuse to pick a side of the fence, and proclaim whether or not you think Dak is elite. I’m about as laid back as it gets, but you’re a fucking moron. I love this board, and though I haven’t always been the most active poster, I have also felt that I haven’t needed to be. There are a lot of intelligent individuals on this board, for over a decade now, that have posited strong, thought out, informed opinions. No need to be an echo. However, you are an arrogant douche who takes it personally when someone disagrees with you. And over this? That Dak is good but not elite?

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Man, you’re about as dense as an oak tree. If I had a dollar for every time i’ve explained that I said I don’t care about stats in regards to the argument that he is elite, specifically those two stat, there would be no mask shortage right now.

And still yet, you refuse to pick a side of the fence, and proclaim whether or not you think Dak is elite.
Why would I care about a meaningless, opinion-based description? "Elite" means jack shit.

I’m about as laid back as it gets, but you’re a fucking moron.
All evidence to the contrary.

I love this board, and though I haven’t always been the most active poster, I have also felt that I haven’t needed to be. There are a lot of intelligent individuals on this board, for over a decade now, that have posited strong, thought out, informed opinions. No need to be an echo. However, you are an arrogant douche who takes it personally when someone disagrees with you. And over this? That Dak is good but not elite?
You're flipping out, calling the other guy names left and right and yet I'm the "arrogant douche taking it personally"? Stand in front of a mirror. You don't have the slightest idea about personal accountability do you? Always 'projection' on 'the other guy'. Always 'someone else's fault'.

I'm not taking anything personally, not with you, and not with anyone else who disagrees with me. Clearly you are, by the immature and repeated use of name-calling. Check yourself before you think of handing out advice.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is not entirely correct. Stats tell a factual representation of something that happened on the field and yes, those stats are unarguable facts, but at the same time, the conclusions drawn from those facts are quite often capable of misleading. Especially when the person quoting the facts doesn’t understand what they are talking about.
I completely agree with this.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yep. If you looked at the box score and saw that a RB went for 110 yds and a TD on 15 carries, you'd be pretty impressed.

If you watched the game and saw that a defensive breakdown allowed him to go for 90 yds and a score, and the other 14 carries resulted in 20 yards and a 1.4 YPC, you'd probably argue with the stats guy that's claiming that he had a great day.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep. If you looked at the box score and saw that a RB went for 110 yds and a TD on 15 carries, you'd be pretty impressed.

If you watched the game and saw that a defensive breakdown allowed him to go for 90 yds and a score, and the other 14 carries resulted in 20 yards and a 1.4 YPC, you'd probably argue with the stats guy that's claiming that he had a great day.
You're still arguing stats though. But yeah stats have to be interpreted.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
You're still arguing stats though. But yeah stats have to be interpreted.
I've never argued for or against them. Only that it's retarded to think that one is so much more than the other. And to disregard either, is equally retarded. As we've witnessed these last few days.

data

Forbes #1

Or in the case of Ezekiel Elliott who runs for 4.5 YPC and 100 yards with no runs over 20 yards and chicken littles are clamoring about his demise.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've never argued for or against them. Only that it's retarded to think that one is so much more than the other. And to disregard either, is equally retarded. As we've witnessed these last few days.
Sure, I was just saying the example you gave are still stats.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Sure, I was just saying the example you gave are still stats.
Yeah. That was the point. When people argue that stats are the end all, be all as we've seen the last few days, it is not that simple, and only makes you look stupid doing so.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Yeah. That was the point. When people argue that stats are the end all, be all as we've seen the last few days, it is not that simple, and only makes you look stupid doing so.
Except nobody was doing that. Your comments about "I don't care about stats" were trying to exclude them from the conversation, because they conflicted with your opinion. Never was it claimed that they were the "end all be all". To try to ignore them because they conflict with your opinion would "make you look stupid doing so".

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Except nobody was doing that. Your comments about "I don't care about stats" were trying to exclude them from the conversation, because they conflicted with your opinion. Never was it claimed that they were the "end all be all". To try to ignore them because they conflict with your opinion would "make you look stupid doing so".
Where did I say "I don't care about stats", eh? All I have said in this whole mess is that you contradicted yourself with your love of Chaisson and his LACK of stats, while making a bunch of comments about how stats tell the story, and people that use the eye test/what they see to form their opinion is garbage. Or whatever that .gif was supposed to mean.

So, yeah. Speaking of looking stupid...

Last edited:

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Where did I say "I don't care about stats", eh? All I have said in this whole mess is that you contradicted yourself with your love of Chaisson and his LACK of states, while making a bunch of comments about how stats tell the story, and people that use the eye test/what they see to form their opinion is garbage. Or whatever that .gif was supposed to mean.

So, yeah. Speaking of looking stupid...
Sorry. Wrong guy. My apologies.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I agree. But then again, I'm not the guy that said "I don't care about the stats", which started the debate in the first place.

But I'm sure that's 'my fault' somehow anyway.
I'm not up to date on all the details of this pissing match but my guess is that it is largely your fault.

You turn everything into a personal attack or diatribe and I think it should probably be obvious that when someone says "I don't care about the stats," that it's not a claim that stats are worthless, the meaning is that the stats can't be trusted in this particular matter.

Top Bottom