Dak Watch Thread...

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I am pretty irked with Dak right about now.

If he strangleholds the shit out of our cap people will be blaming the shit out of him if we don't win, no matter how well he plays. And rightfully so.
Yep. And what makes it look worse is that he's a guy who needs lots of talent around him in order for him to succeed. He's not one of those QBs who takes JAG WRs and turns them into stars. His track shows that he needs star power to prop him up.

I've defended the guy plenty of times on this site but those are the facts as of this moment.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I am pretty irked with Dak right about now.

If he strangleholds the shit out of our cap people will be blaming the shit out of him if we don't win, no matter how well he plays. And rightfully so.
I know, I'm afraid it's going to be a mess. Our talent level is going down and his pay is going way up. He's not going to like the criticism he's going to get and I'm afraid the race card is going to be played, which is always ugly.

Hate to repeat myself, but what a shame we couldn't have gotten a real coach a few years ago when the cheap QB window was wide open and Zeke and the OL had a lot fewer miles on them.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I know, I'm afraid it's going to be a mess. Our talent level is going down and his pay is going way up. He's not going to like the criticism he's going to get and I'm afraid the race card is going to be played, which is always ugly.

Hate to repeat myself, but what a shame we couldn't have gotten a real coach a few years ago when the cheap QB window was wide open and Zeke and the OL had a lot fewer miles on them.
Our offensive talent is more than adequate for any number of decent QBs. If he can’t win w this talent, then we need to find a replacement

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Our offensive talent is more than adequate for any number of decent QBs. If he can’t win w this talent, then we need to find a replacement
I agree the talent is more than enough. I just think it's still going to be less than it has been the last few years, and the team hasn't gotten it done yet. They're going to have to hit some home runs on draft picks, and McCarthy is going to have to be great.

Which maybe he will be compared to the last guy.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I agree the talent is more than enough. I just think it's still going to be less than it has been the last few years, and the team hasn't gotten it done yet. They're going to have to hit some home runs on draft picks, and McCarthy is going to have to be great.

Which maybe he will be compared to the last guy.
I think Garrett will make McCarthy look even better than he truly is. We have underachieved so badly under Garrett, it's a shame so many talented players passed through his reign of idiocracy.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'm not convinced we have enough offensive talent. We have zero 3rd WR and a big question mark at TE. Our 3rd best passing threat is a RB. I believe we'll draft a guy but as it stands right now I'd like to see receiving threat added.

But I'm not solely talking about the offense. If we're giving up 30 points a game due in part to not enough cap money in our defense, the QB will have to be responsible for more than 30 points a game to win.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Yep. And what makes it look worse is that he's a guy who needs lots of talent around him in order for him to succeed. He's not one of those QBs who takes JAG WRs and turns them into stars. His track shows that he needs star power to prop him up.

Yeah, couldn't agree more.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm not convinced we have enough offensive talent. We have zero 3rd WR and a big question mark at TE. Our 3rd best passing threat is a RB. I believe we'll draft a guy but as it stands right now I'd like to see receiving threat added.

But I'm not solely talking about the offense. If we're giving up 30 points a game due in part to not enough cap money in our defense, the QB will have to be responsible for more than 30 points a game to win.
We have enough cap space, these chucklefucks made a conscious decision to sign Olawale, Darian Thompson, Maurice Canady, Justin March, etc, while retaining Crawford at his inflated cap hit instead of signing guys like Everson Griffen, Chris Harris, Shelby Harris, Logan Ryan, Javon Hargrave, Quinton Jefferson, Derek Wolfe, Xavier Rhodes, Michael Pierce, Linval Joseph, so on and so forth.

We could've easily signed 2 or even 3 of those guys for the price of Crawford and these other shitbirds who are 50/50 to even make the team over some random UDFA.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
We have enough cap space, these chucklefucks made a conscious decision to sign Olawale, Darian Thompson, Maurice Canady, Justin March, etc, while retaining Crawford at his inflated cap hit instead of signing guys like Everson Griffen, Chris Harris, Shelby Harris, Logan Ryan, Javon Hargrave, Quinton Jefferson, Derek Wolfe, Xavier Rhodes, Michael Pierce, Linval Joseph, so on and so forth.

We could've easily signed 2 or even 3 of those guys for the price of Crawford and these other shitbirds who are 50/50 to even make the team over some random UDFA.
Not making Crawford take a paycut is mindboggling.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

And yet people think Daks contract is going to prevent is from being active in free agency. Um no, we actively choose not to manage the cap to sign guys.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Rex Ryan "HEATED" Dak Prescott and Cowboys entangled 'big problem' in offseason activities

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
I know it's been mentioned before but...
Any chance Jerry just gives Dak a one year tag, and if he shits himself we can draft a QB next year?
To me it seems the safe and sensible thing to do.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Any chance Jerry just gives Dak a one year tag, and if he shits himself we can draft a QB next year?
People said the same thing this time last year. Let him play out his contract. If he shits himself, let him walk. Don't give him that 30 mil a year contract. Let him prove it.

Well, he had a pretty good year. And now we'd be lucky to sign him for 35mil a year. Guess he has to prove it again? Are you hoping we sign him next year for 40mil per? Or should we tag him again and have him prove it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think that’s a possibility. It’s the same set up as was with Garrett. Prove yourself or the contract runs out. There may be some criteria that he has for Dak as was probably the case with Garrett.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
People said the same thing this time last year. Let him play out his contract. If he shits himself, let him walk. Don't give him that 30 mil a year contract. Let him prove it.

Well, he had a pretty good year. And now we'd be lucky to sign him for 35mil a year. Guess he has to prove it again? Are you hoping we sign him next year for 40mil per? Or should we tag him again and have him prove it.
I think all of this is just pointless posturing on the Cowboys' side. They'll cave like they always do. He'll get his money probably at that 4 year mark as well. Frankly the Cowboys should be happy with that. If he falls off and doesn't live up to the contract they'll be able to get out of it sooner.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think all of this is just pointless posturing on the Cowboys' side. They'll cave like they always do. He'll get his money probably at that 4 year mark as well. Frankly the Cowboys should be happy with that. If he falls off and doesn't live up to the contract they'll be able to get out of it sooner.
This is exactly what will happen. And to think you can lead your franchise QB along on one year deals with no ill effects is just silly. You'll ruin the chemistry on your team amd pay more in the end.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
M
This is exactly what will happen. And to think you can lead your franchise QB along on one year deals with no ill effects is just silly. You'll ruin the chemistry on your team amd pay more in the end.
But isn’t that the point where the tail wags the dog?

Top Bottom