Dak Watch Thread...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll be honest, I'd pay Dak but I also thought he was a better person then to try and play hardball tactics. I get that it's a business and all that. A guy like Zeke I always pictured as the sort who would hold out, play hardball and generally be a pain in the ass. Dak I always pictured as more of a company man who would do what is best for the team and not just himself. If he starts to sit out of the offseason program it starts to leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I'll be honest, I'd pay Dak but I also thought he was a better person then to try and play hardball tactics. I get that it's a business and all that. A guy like Zeke I always pictured as the sort who would hold out, play hardball and generally be a pain in the ass. Dak I always pictured as more of a company man who would do what is best for the team and not just himself. If he starts to sit out of the offseason program it starts to leave a bitter taste in my mouth.
Especially with a new coaching staff

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
As I think you've said, people are so influenced by their agents, maybe more than ever. I remember when Kevin Durant got new representation and his personality and attitude completely changed, and not for the better.

But I wouldn't be surprised if this was Dak's attitude from the start, either. Getting every last cent you can no matter what seems to be the in thing now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
As I think you've said, people are so influenced by their agents, maybe more than ever. I remember when Kevin Durant got new representation and his personality and attitude completely changed, and not for the better.

But I wouldn't be surprised if this was Dak's attitude from the start, either. Getting every last cent you can no matter what seems to be the in thing now.
Oh I absolutely think the agent is playing a big role in this. They get their clients do to all sorts of stuff. And it's easy to say a player should just fire their agent but they usually trust their agent to represent their best interests so they don't. And the agent is the expert in these matters so a young guy like Dak would be pretty likely to listen. I'm ready for all the games to stop and just be done with it.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Well, we've saved upwards of 80M over the course of his contract vs what comparable QBs were getting paid, failed to fix it by paying him what he was worth before last season, and rather than let him test the market (where he immediately would have become the highest paid FA and QB in the league), we slapped the franchise tag on him.

The team has done what's in its best interests; I expect Dak to do what is in his.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Well, we've saved upwards of 80M over the course of his contract vs what comparable QBs were getting paid, failed to fix it by paying him what he was worth before last season, and rather than let him test the market (where he immediately would have become the highest paid FA and QB in the league), we slapped the franchise tag on him.

The team has done what's in its best interests; I expect Dak to do what is in his.
I don't be think the team has done the best job in handling this either.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Oh I think Jerry and Stephen are idiots with these big negotiations anymore. I lay plenty of blame at their feet.
  1. Stephen for thinking he's this 'tough negotiator', only to end up paying more money that if he had just made the deal earlier
  2. Jerry for letting his son handle those negotiations

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Oh I absolutely think the agent is playing a big role in this. They get their clients do to all sorts of stuff. And it's easy to say a player should just fire their agent but they usually trust their agent to represent their best interests so they don't. And the agent is the expert in these matters so a young guy like Dak would be pretty likely to listen. I'm ready for all the games to stop and just be done with it.
Well but the agent works for Dak. The agent is doing what Dak apparently says. Normally I would say that an Agent is the likely bad guy but in this case the issue is contract length and I can’t see an agent calling the shots. It’s seems to be a contingency that a player would stipulate.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Pardon my ignorance, but with the contract uncertainty has McCarthy been able to have any contact with Dak?

p1_

DCC 4Life
Pardon my ignorance, but with the contract uncertainty has McCarthy been able to have any contact with Dak?
They are able to engage in virtual activities, and I would think that contact is assumed.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
They are able to engage in virtual activities, and I would think that contact is assumed.
I'd feel a lot better about the contract issue if I knew McCarthy and Dak were talking football regularly.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
At what point do they just let Dak play on the tag and draft a QB for 1 or 2 years from now?

Cujo

DCC 4Life

If you went into every negotiation thinking that rookie contracts=money saved, you wouldn't be employed very long.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I actually didn't mind Zeke playing hardball. Hell I'd have done the same thing. Given the position that he plays, he probably only has one opportunity to take a big bite out of the apple.

Dak on the other hand is a QB.....and good QBs typically get 2 or 3 sizable contracts. So yeah, you'd think undisputed franchise QBs would be more than willing to leave a little on the table now, knowing they'll likely be cashing in again 4 or 5 years down the road.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
I think the Cowboys are in a Kobayashi Maru situation with Dak. The no win scenario. What do you do with a good QB who wants elite QB money? Do you blow a huge hole in your cap paying a guy that cannot consistently put the team on his shoulders and will it to victory, and have little money to fill in the holes around him? Or do you let him go and you have money to spend, but the most important position in sports is void of talent. Just a bad situation. If this were a no cap system, I'd be rooting for that young man to get paid what he could, but I think he's hurting the team in the reality of a capped league.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think the Cowboys are in a Kobayashi Maru situation with Dak. The no win scenario. What do you do with a good QB who wants elite QB money? Do you blow a huge hole in your cap paying a guy that cannot consistently put the team on his shoulders and will it to victory, and have little money to fill in the holes around him? Or do you let him go and you have money to spend, but the most important position in sports is void of talent. Just a bad situation. If this were a no cap system, I'd be rooting for that young man to get paid what he could, but I think he's hurting the team in the reality of a capped league.
You pay the man and build a team around him, mostly through the draft with a few sprinkles of FA signings here and there.

Top Bottom