Dak Watch Thread...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It seems to be the thing to do. They will pay him about 30 M one way or another this coming season so at least it will allow the new coach an opportunity to evaluate whether he is a franchise QB.for the long term.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Makes sense. It's unfair to tell McCarthy to make it happen with Dak no matter what when he doesn't know what he has yet.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm good with this. Franchise tag for Dak and transition tag for Amari. Let's see how they both do with a new coaching staff and then make long-term decisions on both of them.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm good with this. Franchise tag for Dak and transition tag for Amari. Let's see how they both do with a new coaching staff and then make long-term decisions on both of them.
You got it.

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
that's encouraging, I didn't think they had the stones to do it; they must have locked jeri in a closet full of hookers and Johnnie Walker Blue to keep him distracted from his core philosophy of over-paying for things

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Am I confused or would the transition tag only give us the chance to match a contract offer for Amari? And if we don't we get zero compensation. I fail to see how this would be more useful than just signing the guy.

FYI I think this is all standard contract posturing. Their is a ton of time to get a contract worked out and I seriously doubt the Cowboys want to continue down this franchise tag path with their franchise QB. It can only end badly.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And this is why playing this franchise tag game with your franchise QB is an awful idea. This isn't Madden.

Cotton

Staff member
Am I confused or would the transition tag only give us the chance to match a contract offer for Amari? And if we don't we get zero compensation. I fail to see how this would be more useful than just signing the guy.

FYI I think this is all standard contract posturing. Their is a ton of time to get a contract worked out and I seriously doubt the Cowboys want to continue down this franchise tag path with their franchise QB. It can only end badly.
I did some reading and found out something I didn’t know. If we do use the transition tag and end up signing him to a contract we can’t use that tag again until his contract expires. Not sure I’m a fan of using it now that I know that.

Cotton

Staff member
Yep, I refuse to get worked up over it. A long term deal is going to get done this offseason. Just like we all knew Zeke would get his extension whether we liked it or not.
I’m not so sure we get a deal done with Dak this offseason. I could easily see them applying the tag for a year. But, if they can get a deal done with Amari, then the tag makes a lot of sense for Dak.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m not so sure we get a deal done with Dak this offseason. I could easily see them applying the tag for a year. But, if they can get a deal done with Amari, then the tag makes a lot of sense for Dak.
I don't think the franchise tag makes any sense for Dak honestly. You risk ruining the offseason with worries about money and contracts instead of winning championships. You don't do that with a franchise QB. And then the price tag either goes up next offseason or you've sunk the ship so badly that you now have to search for a new QB to build around. I don't see any upside to the franchise tag with a 26 year old QB who you have 4 seasons as a starter to judge. You either love him or you should move on.

The saying either shit or get off the pot comes to mind. Stalling hurts everyone in this scenario.

Clff15701

DCC 4Life
Dak couldnt even get this team to the playoffs in his best year. You don't pay an average QB top 3 money.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dak couldnt even get this team to the playoffs in his best year. You don't pay an average QB top 3 money.
If your opinion is that he is average, which I very much disagree with, than let him leave and bring someone new in. You shouldn't pay average QBs. You should draft them and try to win with rookie deals at QB.

Clff15701

DCC 4Life
Hes a little better than average but he needs everything around him to be perfect. Before we had Cooper he couldn't throw for 200 yards a game on a consistent basis. Rogers, Brees, Wilson, makes the playoffs with last years team.

data

Forbes #1
If I’m Dak, I holdout if franchised, assuming he’s qualified for enough years to be a true free agent thereafter.

Let the high/momentum of hiring McCarthy quickly falter when McCarthy pulls another non-playoff season without Dak.

With the low supply of Tier 2 and above QBs, Daks value doesn’t diminish.

This is where @L.T. Fan says “the NFL is a business first and Dak is a business person”

deadrise

DCC 4Life
I don't think the franchise tag makes any sense for Dak honestly. You risk ruining the offseason with worries about money and contracts instead of winning championships. You don't do that with a franchise QB. And then the price tag either goes up next offseason or you've sunk the ship so badly that you now have to search for a new QB to build around. I don't see any upside to the franchise tag with a 26 year old QB who you have 4 seasons as a starter to judge. You either love him or you should move on.

The saying either shit or get off the pot comes to mind. Stalling hurts everyone in this scenario.
Agree. He's either your franchise QB or he's not. Shit or get off the pot. If he is, pay him. If he's not, then why tag him? Pay him $30 million for a maybe? The message to Dak and the team is, "We're not quite sure." Create bad will all around, controversy, distractions.

Stupid. Somebody make a fucking decision. Agree with pdom as well. Dak to Jerry: If you're not sure, I'm not sure either. I can be a FA in another year and I think another less dysfunctional organization might see things my way.

data

Forbes #1
If you’re going to franchise Dak, you better be drafting a 1st/2nd round QB or signing Philip Rivers.

Top Bottom