Cowboys Start DC Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This isn't a situation where I think the guy was out of football because no one wanted him. I'm sure he could have had a job 2 years ago. Instead the guy had to get his life back on track. Plus he is also a guy who works himself to the bones. Sometimes those type of guy just need a second to recharge, get their health in order (Mentally and physically) and then they are ready to grind again.

I like Zimmer, I'm actually kind of excited at the prospect of hiring him. But watch Dallas zig instead of zag and get someone else.

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
That's the part that drives me crazy. He's desperate but not enough to make changes that really matter. He never will be.
I wonder how desperate he really is. Figure he's pretty much maxed out on all the sources of income. Tearing down and building back up is a lot of work and won't add anything to the top line or the bottom line. Jerry right now is managing from his La-Z -Boy recliner. His team is competitive, 12 wins a season, two NFC East crowns in the last three years, regularly featured as the marquee late afternoon game.

Maybe he doesn't feel any urgency to change any of that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder how desperate he really is. Figure he's pretty much maxed out on all the sources of income. Tearing down and building back up is a lot of work and won't add anything to the top line or the bottom line. Jerry right now is managing from his La-Z -Boy recliner. His team is competitive, 12 wins a season, two NFC East crowns in the last three years, regularly featured as the marquee late afternoon game.

You know I always wonder about a guy at Jerry's age though. It's like you have more money than you could ever dream of spending. Your family all has enough inheritance that the same probably holds true for them and their kids. At what point in life do you stop pinching pennies, or worrying about making every dime you can, and aspire for something else. I know many people don't think that way and they die having never done something because they lived their whole life a certain way.

Then again Stephen is probably playing a much bigger role in the penny pinching these days. And he probably sees this thing being split up on Daddys death and wants as much as he can get out of it.

Cujo

DCC 4Life

I'm absolutely sure you're right.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
People laugh, but I'd take him as a D coordinator. The guy isn't a HC, but he can coach the hell out of defense.

That's very true. It'd be a weird dynamic here though since he was HC before.

p1_

DCC 4Life
He is another guy who I think you see immediate great returns off of but over a long period of time he is too player friendly and things go to shit a bit.
yeah, Ive noticed the performance tends to decline the longer he coaches a defense.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I feel like this guy isn't even close to ready for that role. Maybe if he was under a defensive head coach. But we kind of need a guy who really knows defense all around right now.
I don't think he or Harris are ready for DC roles, which is why I think it's a foregone conclusion that Zimmer or Rivera will be the DC, likely Zimmer.

It'd be nice to keep them as position coaches, although the new DC may have their own guys.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think he or Harris are ready for DC roles, which is why I think it's a foregone conclusion that Zimmer or Rivera will be the DC, likely Zimmer.

It'd be nice to keep them as position coaches, although the new DC may have their own guys.
Yeah, I'd love to see Harris stay on with the secondary. If he needs some help bring in an assistant who is the safeties coach or something. Durde I'm a little more iffy on. I don't think he is a bad coach at all but I also don't know how well he really is capable of teaching these D-lineman. If Zimmer has a better idea I'm definitely open to it. I know Durde is liked by the players but a lot of our run defensive problems start with the D-line, the schemes, the discipline and I don't know that I'm in love with the development of the younger D-lineman under him.

Assuming Zimmer is the choice. He just seems like the most likely.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Has there been any news on who has interviewed so far? I haven't seen anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom