Cowboys Start DC Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I know we have other threads on Quinn leaving, speculation, but it might be better to start fresh now that we know Quinn is gone.

The idea is to either roll forward with internal candidates to maintain continuity with philosophy and personnel or pivot to an entirely new system if an external hire comes aboard.

Here is what we have to choose from:

Internal

Whitt (if he does not go) - It would make sense on both sides.

Al Harris - A thought as a fall back for Whitt and if you want to maintain continuity with the defensive style. It also allows for no disruption in coverage schemes which fit our personnel.

Aden Durde - Eh. I guess it would be a diversity hire since he is not only black, but British.

External

Ron Rivera - I don't think he has the energy to implement his scheme in just one offseason. I have other reasons for not wanting him, but that is a start.

Wink Martindale – He was terrible in New York, but okay in Baltimore, not so great to decent previously. I would still consider him. Baltimore had a good enough defense but he had to coach up some too.

Mike Zimmer – This would be easy and comfortable for Jones for certain.

Sean Desai – Ex-Eagles guy who fits the rage for the Fangio spin-offs. I am not impressed all.

Ejero Evero – He has been a hot HC candidate for years. Not a bad DC, despite what happened to him in Carolina. Well worth an interview.

Mike Pettine - He is a former DC for Fat Mike that might be willing to take a shit job for a year and hopefully get back on the map. This would be a nightmare hire.

Brandon Staley – I hated some of his decisions as a HC, but some of the defensive playcalls he made helped get him fired. Still talk to him but keep that in mind.

There might be a few other younger defensive coaches, but doing that would be a mistake.

I may have missed some, but that is a good start.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I think it was always going to be Whitt. Said it before, but I like his calm, even demeanor in interviews. He's had the experience and is ready. Plus I'm sure he has some loyalty to Mike after all those years in GB.

I just don't see an external coach coming in here. We all know there's a great chance this is Mike's last year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know we have other threads on Quinn leaving, speculation, but it might be better to start fresh now that we know Quinn is gone.

The idea is to either roll forward with internal candidates to maintain continuity with philosophy and personnel or pivot to an entirely new system if an external hire comes aboard.

Here is what we have to choose from:

Internal

Whitt (if he does not go) - It would make sense on both sides.

Al Harris - A thought as a fall back for Whitt and if you want to maintain continuity with the defensive style. It also allows for no disruption in coverage schemes which fit our personnel.

Aden Durde - Eh. I guess it would be a diversity hire since he is not only black, but British.

External

Ron Rivera - I don't think he has the energy to implement his scheme in just one offseason. I have other reasons for not wanting him, but that is a start.

Wink Martindale – He was terrible in New York, but okay in Baltimore, not so great to decent previously. I would still consider him. Baltimore had a good enough defense but he had to coach up some too.

Mike Zimmer – This would be easy and comfortable for Jones for certain.

Sean Desai – Ex-Eagles guy who fits the rage for the Fangio spin-offs. I am not impressed all.

Ejero Evero – He has been a hot HC candidate for years. Not a bad DC, despite what happened to him in Carolina. Well worth an interview.

Mike Pettine - He is a former DC for Fat Mike that might be willing to take a shit job for a year and hopefully get back on the map. This would be a nightmare hire.

Brandon Staley – I hated some of his decisions as a HC, but some of the defensive playcalls he made helped get him fired. Still talk to him but keep that in mind.

There might be a few other younger defensive coaches, but doing that would be a mistake.

I may have missed some, but that is a good start.
Somehow you make all the options feel even more depressing and bad. You're a negative influence on me.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Top of the list for me would be Frazier and Staley, after that I'd be fine with Rivera, Evero, Whitt or Zimmer, feh to the rest.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I think Whitt wants this job. And will be offered it. But he may follow DQ if only for the stability. He would at least be given a couple 2-3 years there.

With there being a solid chance this is Mike’s last year, he may not want to be involved in a total house cleaning.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Zimmer almost makes too much sense. Seems like a Jerry thing to do.
Makes sense. He's an old guy who Jerry has a previous relationship with. That's all he cares about.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think Whitt wants this job. And will be offered it. But he may follow DQ if only for the stability. He would at least be given a couple 2-3 years there.

With there being a solid chance this is Mike’s last year, he may not want to be involved in a total house cleaning.
If Fat Mike gets canned, he goes too. He has all the time Quinn gets. He has a relationship with McCarthy too, but he has a decision to make. Is being the DC of THE DALLAS COWBOYS that important to him?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah not sure what that has to do with anything. In that instance Kiffin was just really old. I don't think he had the energy any longer to do the job. Even the best defensive coordinators have to work their ass off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom