Brian Flores Sues The NFL

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
You're right; I shouldn't have compared the two. One is an adult who was able to find work again, and the other is a racial pyromaniac.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Give me a break comparing Gase and Flores, Gase was fired after back to back losing seasons and a bunch of WTF moments like drawing plays on the sidelines, nobody was surprised. Flores was fired after back to back winning seasons and the reaction on the board was total surprise.
But but but their W-L records are almost identical is BS, one had a good first season and shit after and the other had a shit 1st season and everybody thought they were heading in the right direction.
So you think that's evidence of racism?

Give me a break. Coaches get fired all the time for reasons only their employers comprehend. Chan Gailey got fired after two seasons with a winning record. Marty Schottenheimer got fired after he went 14-2.

Maybe every non-ginger coach should sue the league because Garrett got ten years of spareness and they didn't.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The Dolphins actually made the playoffs under Gase.

Did not under Flores. In 3 years.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
So you think that's evidence of racism?

Give me a break. Coaches get fired all the time for reasons only their employers comprehend. Chan Gailey got fired after two seasons with a winning record. Marty Schottenheimer got fired after he went 14-2.

Maybe every non-ginger coach should sue the league because Garrett got ten years of spareness and they didn't.
I never said anything about racism, show me where I said anything about racism.
I said I don't understand everybody being so pissed about Flores suing the NFL based on bogus Rooney rule interviews.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Give me a break comparing Gase and Flores, Gase was fired after back to back losing seasons and a bunch of WTF moments like drawing plays on the sidelines, nobody was surprised. Flores was fired after back to back winning seasons and the reaction on the board was total surprise.
But but but their W-L records are almost identical is BS, one had a good first season and shit after and the other had a shit 1st season and everybody thought they were heading in the right direction.
I don't know about headed in the right direction. They went 9-8 and missed the playoffs after being 10-6 the previous year and making the playoffs. If anything they kind of took a step back. But I did think he was a good head coach for the Dolphins. At the same time he didn't get along with their first round QB and didn't like him. Organizations sometimes have to choose between the player and the coach.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
The Dolphins actually made the playoffs under Gase.

Did not under Flores. In 3 years.
Yes they did in his first season, losing record the next 2.
What surprised you more at the time, Gase or Flores getting fired?
Just now there is talk about Gase being in the running for OC and everybody is like WTF? Gase???
And the moment Flores got fired everybody was saying how he should be one of the top candidates for the job he did in Miami...

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Unlike Gase, the arrow was pointing up with Flores, but he was clashing with his (black) QB and (black) GM. Personal relationships mean a lot in this biz. And Gase (like Norv) is probably a better coordinator than head coach, so no surprise if he goes that route.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not enough people are talking about this.
I mean that's why he is gone. Flores didn't want Tua to be his QB. So you either stick with Tua and get a guy who wants to make Tua great or you dump Tua for Watson and keep Flores. The Dolphins made their decision.

But now they are racist. For wanting to stick with their minority QB? Seems silly.

Genghis Khan

Yes they did in his first season, losing record the next 2.
What surprised you more at the time, Gase or Flores getting fired?
Just now there is talk about Gase being in the running for OC and everybody is like WTF? Gase???
And the moment Flores got fired everybody was saying how he should be one of the top candidates for the job he did in Miami...

I was definitely surprised Flores got fired.

I've been surprised by a bunch of coaches getting fired over the years.

That doesn't mean it's racially motivated. That's a large leap.

I'm not saying you're saying it's racially motivated, but that's what this suit is about, is it not?

In retrospect, it's clear there was a disconnect between coach and management/ownership, and probably coach and QB as well.

My point is Flores didn't do such an OMG great job that's impossible to conceive that he could be fired after three years of no playoffs.

Hell, I remember the first half of Flores' first season he looked overwhelmed and a lot of people were saying it at the time.

He probably did well enough that he would've gotten another HC job if not this season probably next (obviously probably not now after the lawsuit).

Super Bowl winning coaches like McCarthy and Pederson, both white, had to wait a year for another opportunity. So I'm not going to sit here and assume racism for a coach who had 3 years and didn't so much as make the playoffs.

Genghis Khan

the arrow was pointing up with Flores

Was it though?

I can't sit here today and say I'd have expected them to necessarily take the next step had Flores still been there.

Maybe that's his fault maybe it's not, but I don't see a lot of potential for growth there.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Was it though?

I can't sit here today and say I'd have expected them to necessarily take the next step had Flores still been there.

Maybe that's his fault maybe it's not, but I don't see a lot of potential for growth there.
Maybe with a Watson at QB. But with the same head coach and same QB, I would have expected similar results. Maybe a wild card but that was probably best case scenario.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I never said anything about racism, show me where I said anything about racism.
I said I don't understand everybody being so pissed about Flores suing the NFL based on bogus Rooney rule interviews.
Racism is the entire basis of his suit. What did you think he was suing about?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I find the allegations that some owners are paying to lose far more fascinating than the racism angle.
First thing that stuck out to me.

And then Hue Jackson jumped in and he got bitchslapped.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think that’s insane. I agree it’s bad.

It’s almost worse that these coaches didn’t come forward when it happened, allegedly.
That is the rub.

We just might have ourselves a corrupt game.

But the racism thing is a much nicer distraction.

Top Bottom