2023 Season | Divisional Round | Gameday Chatter Thread | 1/20-1/21/2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Why do you do this to yourself?
No worries I wont respond if someone can’t see the difference how defenders choose to stop players today. In the past tackling used to be the basic way to stop a runner or take down a QB. That method is rarely used today. Instead defenders are using their bodies and taking the others out by becoming a missile helmet first. These people are faster larger and aren’t satisfied with a tackle. the are targeting toward injuring not tackling. If this is more civilized then ok. Today is just love taps.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Resist... Resist... Resist...

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
No worries I wont respond if someone can’t see the difference how defenders choose to stop players today. In the past tackling used to be the basic way to stop a runner or take down a QB. That method is rarely used today. Instead defenders are using their bodies and taking the others out by becoming a missile helmet first. These people are faster larger and aren’t satisfied with a tackle. the are targeting toward injuring not tackling. If this is more civilized then ok. Today is just love taps.

You're not wrong.

data

Forbes #1
Averaged playoff game over career prime:

MAHOMES, 16 games: 25/37 (67%) for 285 yards, 2.5 TD, 0.5 INT (106.7 QB Rating)

BREES, 15 games (2006-2019): 27/40 (67%) for 310 yards, 2.1 TD, 0.7 INT (99.5)

RODGERS, 17 games (2010-2019): 23/36 (64%) for 271 yards, 2.1 TB, 0.6 INT (98.5)

COLTS PEYTON, 17 games (2002-2010): 25/38 (65%) for 292 yards, 1.6 TD, 1.1 INT (90.4)

LATER PATRIOTS BRADY, 21 games (2011-2018): 28/43 (64%) for 322 yards, 2.0 TD, 0.9 INT (94.1)
AIKMAN, 11 games (1992-1995): 21/30 (68%) for 265 yards, 1.9 TD, 0.7 INT (106.3)
AIKMAN, 4 games (1996-1999): 20/38 (53%) for 205 yards, 0.5 TD, 2.0 INT (51.4)

AIKMAN, 15 games (1992-1999): 21/32 (64%) for 249 yards, 1.5 TD, 1.1 INT (89.1)

Those 4 games in the lean years really hurt Aikman's career totals, but during that SB run, he's an all-timer even by today's standards.

You really wanna supercharge a m'fer? Take out 1994 and just look at the ring seasons
AIKMAN, 9 games (3 Super Bowl years): 19/28 (70%) for 244 yards, 1.9 TD, 0.4 INT (112.6)

NOTE: Dropped 1991 Lions playoff because Aikman replaced starter Beuerlein around halftime.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They are not being popped at all like they used to be. Go watch a clip of Lawrence Taylor or Randy White taking the head off of a QB with a blindside hit. Hell, the NFL used to make money off hits like that. NFL Greatest Hits was a must have video at the end of each year.

The game as a whole was a lot more brutal. WRs used to fear going over the middle because of guys like Ronnie Lott. Olinemen hated going up against guys like Deacon Jones because of his power and head slap. And there are numerous more examples of how the game used to be so much more violent.

The NFL didn't change the rules because they cared about these guys. They changed the rules because salaries got so high, and they didn't want to see their star QBs sitting on the sidelines with a blank stare on their faces.
He clearly has watched more college than pros in recent years. Hell, we might all end up that way.

data

Forbes #1
One wonders how many of today’s QB’s would remain pros after taking a shot like Troy took in 1989.

I think that made it easier for him to get concussed throughout his career, especially in the 1993 NFCC.

Brady was great at avoiding punishment, but he rarely faced defenses the caliber of the Giants or Eagles that Troy and Montana faced. The Giants KO’d Montana twice in the playoffs. The Eagles DL broke Troy in 1990. They ended Joe Theismann’s career, and crushed his successor Jay Schroeder’s shoulder, reducing his effectiveness.

The 1970’s and 1980’s were particularly brutal. Staubach and Bradshaw were routinely knocked out of games.

Quarterbacks don’t fear defenses anymore, and that is a huge, huge difference that both Free Agency/Salary Cap and continuous rules changes have made.
Biggest reason Aikman retired is because of worsening concussions, back injuries, his play declined or couldn’t take the losing anymore?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Biggest reason Aikman retired is because of worsening concussions, back injuries, his play declined or couldn’t take the losing anymore?
Troy was a bit of a spoiled cunt.

And yeah, I blame him for 1994.

data

Forbes #1
Looking at Arrington put Aikman out of his misery on repeat, which HOF QB had the most miserable, unceremonious, unbecoming final play/game/season?

I submit Marino’s final game which was so horrific, it scores double points for also being Jimmuh’s. Two for price of one. Well done, Jacksonville.

Last edited:

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
He himself said it was his back, not concussions.

Plus of course not wanting to see his reputation ruined by Jerry's sorry roster building and lack of discipline.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
Aikman and all of them should have seen the writing on the wall after the embarrassing playoff defeat against the panthers the season after last championship and retired.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I’m not sure the 70s and 80s were more brutal. Today’s defensive players are larger, faster and stronger moreso than ever. They are somewhat curtailed by penalization standards now but it doesn’t keep the QBs from being popped fairly often.
That’s the issue, LT

They have to pull their punches to mind a bunch of rules of engagement. Here’s the list I can think of… there’s prolly more. If all that’s running through a defender’s head, he’s almost always going to be laying off

Can’t land on a QB when you tackle him
Can’t even graze a QB’s head or neck, even by accident, and especially with your own helmet or facemask
Can’t hit a QB outside one step after a released pass, Can’t drive through the hit at all, Can’t hit the QB if in the ref’s judgement you could have avoided it, and can’t hit certain “protected” QB’s after a pass at all.
Can’t hit a QB below the knees— even if the initial contact is above the knee
Can’t “violently” drive a QB into the ground in any way
Can’t horsecollar a QB if he’s a runner
Can’t hit a QB who slides
Can’t headslap an OL
QB’s can spike the football to stop the clock
QB’s can intentionally ground the ball outside the pocket
The buttfucking Tuck Rule turns sacks into incomplete passes
OL can block you with their open hands
OL can clip you within the tackle box
OL can grab hold of your jersey, as long as they don’t in the ref’s judgement control your direction— and they can outright hold you if in the ref’s judgement you would not have affected the play
F’ing Shanahan’s legal chop block technique, where the engaging OL disengages in perfect concert with the chop blocker cutting a defender’s legs
DB’s can’t push WR’s after 5 yards, enabling receivers getting open faster (Mel Blount rule)

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That’s the issue, LT

They have to pull their punches to mind a bunch of rules of engagement. Here’s the list I can think of… there’s prolly more. If all that’s running through a defender’s head, he’s almost always going to be laying off

Can’t land on a QB when you tackle him
Can’t even graze a QB’s head or neck, even by accident, and especially with your own helmet or facemask
Can’t hit a QB outside one step after a released pass, Can’t drive through the hit at all, Can’t hit the QB if in the ref’s judgement you could have avoided it, and can’t hit certain “protected” QB’s after a pass at all.
Can’t hit a QB below the knees— even if the initial contact is above the knee
Can’t “violently” drive a QB into the ground in any way
Can’t horsecollar a QB if he’s a runner
Can’t hit a QB who slides
Can’t headslap an OL
QB’s can spike the football to stop the clock
QB’s can intentionally ground the ball outside the pocket
The buttfucking Tuck Rule turns sacks into incomplete passes
OL can block you with their open hands
OL can clip you within the tackle box
OL can grab hold of your jersey, as long as they don’t in the ref’s judgement control your direction— and they can outright hold you if in the ref’s judgement you would not have affected the play
F’ing Shanahan’s legal chop block technique, where the engaging OL disengages in perfect concert with the chop blocker cutting a defender’s legs
DB’s can’t push WR’s after 5 yards, enabling receivers getting open faster (Mel Blount rule)
Well here’s the deal. Currently those things you listed are certainly occurring but in addition the Quarterbacks are taking some licks as well. It seem obvious that today we are very cognizant of the QB position but for actual comparison this factor has to be taken into consideration. When reviewing the earlier QBs getting mauled chances are it all compiled with highlight footage and it seems to be more violent because this is the all condensed from a long period of time for those games but does it show all the other not so violent occurrences. Compare that with the current audiences memory span it is likely that they remember their of viewing of the game with the current rules which is why they think it is less violent. Now however if you take those same current memory games and condense it to the same highlight approach that was compiled for games of the past it just might be a stand off as to which was the most violent. Just my opinion.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
LT, I actually think you might have a point when it comes to RBs and TEs and kick returners.

But not QBs. Too many rules specifically designed to keep them from getting hit.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yeah, the injuries most QB’s face today are the same fluke injuries most every player faces.

Compare with the 70’s Washington strategies where the Over The Hill gang was specifically coached to knock Staubach out of the game.

I know Roger could have played into his 40’s under today’s QB safety rules and softer fields.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
In today's game, no sack. No fumble. No TD. 15 yard penalty.

Instead, now we get shit like this.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
LT, I actually think you might have a point when it comes to RBs and TEs and kick returners.

But not QBs. Too many rules specifically designed to keep them from getting hit.
That’s true but all I ever said about the QBs is that some are still taking some licks. Tha process is still occurring rules or no rules and I am inclined to think that it is less as well. My primary position is when it occurs (and It does) the defender is likely a faster and heavier player than those of the past sand certainly is as or more violent the earlier players.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
That’s true but all I ever said about the QBs is that some are still taking some licks. Tha process is still occurring rules or no rules and I am inclined to think that it is less as well. My primary position is when it occurs (and It does) the defender is likely a faster and heavier player than those of the past sand certainly is as or more violent the earlier players.
Yeah. Players are bigger and faster. Yet they also have about a 1sq ft area where they can legally hit the QB. Not only can they not hit wherever, they can not land on them either. Back in the day, every square inch of the QB was in play. From the top of his head to the bottom of his feet. For every hard shot a QB takes in today's game, there were 100 more from the past. And a lot of them involved the head. And not only was there no flag, it was INCOURAGED. That, along with driving them into the turf while landing on them. So nobody will ever convince me that today's game is even remotely as violent as it was 20+ years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom