2023 Season | Divisional Round | Gameday Chatter Thread | 1/20-1/21/2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Those highlight videos are cetrtainly making my point that if you just pick highlights you can make any statement you want and that is simply trying to bend and shape the point you are trying to make. Thie sport of NFL football is really as violent today as it was in the past. The concession is that it has curtailed the number of incidents but there are still violent .

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yeah. Players are bigger and faster. Yet they also have about a 1sq ft area where they can legally hit the QB. Not only can they not hit wherever, they can not land on them either. Back in the day, every square inch of the QB was in play. From the top of his head to the bottom of his feet. For every hard shot a QB takes in today's game, there were 100 more from the past. And a lot of them involved the head. And not only was there no flag, it was INCOURAGED. That, along with driving them into the turf while landing on them. So nobody will ever convince me that today's game is even remotely as violent as it was 20+ years ago.
The pads and helmets are different as well. More protective today.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
In today's game, no sack. No fumble. No TD. 15 yard penalty.

Instead, now we get shit like this.

Jesus….when you watch it back to back like that, it’s even worse that I imagined.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Those highlight videos are cetrtainly making my point that if you just pick highlights you can make any statement you want and that is simply trying to bend and shape the point you are trying to make. Thie sport of NFL football is really as violent today as it was in the past. The concession is that it has curtailed the number of incidents but there are still violent .
Jesus, you're obtuse. So don't pick a highlight video. Go pick a random game from 30 years ago and watch it in it's entirety. I guarantee you that you'll see multiple hard hits to QBs and receivers that not only do not draw a flag, but are lauded by the announcers.

I could maybe understand you taking this stand if you were a young guy, but you actually grew up watching guys like Staubach and Bradshaw play every week. And you still think the game today is just as violent? Wow.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The pads and helmets are different as well. More protective today.
I don’t disagree with that but my point is that the players today are physically capable of as much and possibly more violent as was those of the past. There are targeting and horse collar rules as well but it still happens. There are also facemask rules but it still happens and so on. Rules are modified frequently but the game of football in the NFL is still as rough as it ever was.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I don’t disagree with that but my point is that the players today are physically capable of as much and possibly more violent as was those of the past. There are targeting and horse collar rules as well but it still happens. There are also facemask rules but it still happens and so on. Rules are modified frequently but the game of football in the NFL is still as rough as it ever was.
Nobody in today's game has the same reputation as Jack Tatum.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
That Brady call

:disgusted

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Nuh uh. Today's game is more violent. Bigger. Faster. And stuff.

Or so I hear.
Well think of what you are watching. It’s a highlight that was an exceptional occurance but what was the rest of the game like. Building a complete philosophy based on highlight footage is hardly complete picture of the entire history.of the sport.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Well think of what you are watching. It’s a highlight that was an exceptional occurance but what was the rest of the game like. Building a complete philosophy based on highlight footage is hardly complete picture of the entire history.of the sport.
:lol

Somebody else take this one. I'm out.

p1_

DCC 4Life
The violence is still there, maybe less for QBs because of stiff penalty. DBs will still lead with the head way too often .

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah. Players are bigger and faster. Yet they also have about a 1sq ft area where they can legally hit the QB. Not only can they not hit wherever, they can not land on them either. Back in the day, every square inch of the QB was in play. From the top of his head to the bottom of his feet. For every hard shot a QB takes in today's game, there were 100 more from the past. And a lot of them involved the head. And not only was there no flag, it was INCOURAGED. That, along with driving them into the turf while landing on them. So nobody will ever convince me that today's game is even remotely as violent as it was 20+ years ago.
:disgusted

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The gorilla for a spelling error?

You guys really know how to fuck up a good thing.
Well, it didn't help that you put it in all caps. :lol

• Picard
Reactions: p1_
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom