2021 Season Gameday Chatter | Super Bowl LVI | Bengals vs Rams | 02-13-2022

data

Forbes #1
Who gets in first, Miller or Donald?
Assuming same first year of eligibility, it’s not even close.

It’s like comparing Reggie White legacy to Derrick Thomas. Both HOFers, but Donald is higher tier

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Yeah it's too late now. We just have to hope old Jerry learned his lesson on another massive mistake. I didn't want to do the contract when we did it. And then guaranteeing next years salary was an even bigger fuckup. If we could at least get out from paying him next year you could cut him. Unfortunately he gets his salary regardless so we are just screwed.

Now we just have to hope it was all an injury this time. Not sure what the excuse was the previous year. Basically we are just stuck hoping and praying he can get back to 2019 form which is highly unlikely with RBs. All while we could probably draft a guy in the fourth round to do a better job at minimal cost.

But yet Dak's contract is supposedly what's causing the problems.
I understood both sides during the Zeke contract negotiations.

On Zeke's side, he plays a position with a short shelf-life and that rarely sees big 2nd contracts. With slotted rookie contracts pretty much every other position gets a huge pay raise on that 2nd contract but it's a bit taboo to do that with RBs. So while other players get to cash in on their great seasons, teams generally don't want to reward RBs. Therefore I understood why he wanted to get paid sooner rather than later.

I think the Cowboys felt compelled to resign him because they invested a #4 draft pick in him. If Zeke were a mid-round draft pick I think they probably allow him to walk. I think most teams who spend that high of a draft pick on a Pro Bowl caliber player (which Zeke was at the time) would color outside some of their normal contract boundaries to sign that player to a 2nd contract. Regardless of the player's position. Kickers excluded obviously.

1bigfan13

Staff member
The game was pretty lame and felt like a Superbowl between two teams that won't be there again any time soon
I felt the same way. I thought it was a pretty average/meh game. If it were a regular season game I probably would have turned in the 3rd qtr.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That pass interference call on Logan Wilson was complete garbage. The entire game the refs swallowed their whistles and allowed the game to be determined on the field. But in that moment they decide to call a ticky-tack penalty?

It reeked of a 'reputation call'.....calls that refs only make, or in some cases don't make, based on the the status and reputation of the player involved.
100% a reputation call, if the WR was Van Jefferson they aren't calling shit, it's a joke.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Even my wife saw this and mentioned it immediately as the ball was snapped.

I mean, if they can't get obvious stuff like this right on the biggest stage what is even the point of all of this?
Using a Madden analogy....it's pretty obvious the NFL basically went into the game settings and turned the penalty sliders down.

I honestly wish they'd officiate every game like they have in the playoffs, sans the Wildcard round. Let the players decide the game and diminish the impact of biased officials and their subjective interpretations of the rules.

If they officiated the Cowboys games under the same circumstances we've seen the past few playoff rounds, the Cowboys penalties would easily be cut in half.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Using a Madden analogy....it's pretty obvious the NFL basically went into the game settings and turned the penalty sliders down.

I honestly wish they'd officiate every game like they have in the playoffs, sans the Wildcard round. Let the players decide the game and diminish the impact of biased officials and their subjective interpretations of the rules.

If they officiated the Cowboys games under the same circumstances we've seen the past few playoff rounds, the Cowboys penalties would easily be cut in half.
So you buy into the refs being ‘the problem’ theory?

1bigfan13

Staff member
So you buy into the refs being ‘the problem’ theory?
Are you talking about overall in the NFL? If so, yes I do see them as a problem.

If you're talking about the refs being the Cowboys problem, my answer is no. The Cowboys are undisciplined but they also get hit with a ton of ridiculously obscure and ticky-tack penalties.

As I mentioned in another post, a lot of penalties refs call are driven by players reputations. The Cowboys have a reputation for being undisciplined and heavily penalized. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if refs have their antennas up a bit more during Cowboys' games and call penalties on things that they'd ordinarily overlook.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
But yet Dak's contract is supposedly what's causing the problems.
:picard

Yes. Dak's contract is the bigger issue by a wide wide margin.

Zeke's cap hit in 2021: 6.8 million
Dak's cap hit in 2021: 17.2 million

Zeke's cap hit in 2022: 18.2 million
Dak's cap hit in 2022: 34.5 million

We can move on from Zeke at the end of 2022 when his cap hit is about 16 but his dead cap if cut would be about 11.

Dak's cap hit in 2023 is 45.5 million (!). We can't move on from Dak's contract until the end of 2023 when his cap hit for 2024 is 48.5 (!) and his dead cap if cut is 28.9 (!).

Come on now.

I know you love Dak and hate Zeke but there's no comparison here.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

We had 14 penalties in the wild card game, the Niners had 9.

No other team had more than 7 throughout the rest of the playoffs. Like 10 or 11 other games, not a single team had as many penalties as either of the two teams in that one game. I don't know what that means exactly but it's pretty preposterous on it's face.

And yea, I don't mind the refs swallowing their whistles, even on the Higgins TD, but you can't let glaringly obvious false starts go and then call some ticky-tack penalty because it's Kupp who just made a bunch of big plays and you become a prisoner of the moment.

With that said, remember 2 years ago when Gallup was called for an OPI against Ramsey that negated a 50+ yard catch that would've tied the game with 10 seconds left or whatever?

He barely nudged Ramsey and here Higgins literally grasped his facemask for a second, and nothing.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Are you talking about overall in the NFL? If so, yes I do see them as a problem.

If you're talking about the refs being the Cowboys problem, my answer is no. The Cowboys are undisciplined but they also get hit with a ton of ridiculously obscure and ticky-tack penalties.

As I mentioned in another post, a lot of penalties refs call are driven by players reputations. The Cowboys have a reputation for being undisciplined and heavily penalized. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if refs have their antennas up a bit more during Cowboys' games and call penalties on things that they'd ordinarily overlook.
I was talking about Cowboys, and our lack of discipline. I agree that the reputation does play a part too .

1bigfan13

Staff member
Two things that would bother me for a long time if I were a Bengals fan.

1. On Cooper Kupp's GW TD you have Eli Apple trying to cover him one-on-one. Why? Screw that. I put Awuzie on him AND I put a safety out there.

2. The Bengals OL couldn't block the Rams the entire 2nd half. So why call another pass play on 4th and 1 with the game on the line? Give the ball to Mixon. The Bengals OL actually did a decent job run blocking.

The Bengals essentially leaned on their own weaknesses with the game on the line and to no surprise they came up woefully short in those situations.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:picard

Yes. Dak's contract is the bigger issue by a wide wide margin.

Zeke's cap hit in 2021: 6.8 million
Dak's cap hit in 2021: 17.2 million

Zeke's cap hit in 2022: 18.2 million
Dak's cap hit in 2022: 34.5 million

We can move on from Zeke at the end of 2022 when his cap hit is about 16 but his dead cap if cut would be about 11.

Dak's cap hit in 2023 is 45.5 million (!). We can't move on from Dak's contract until the end of 2023 when his cap hit for 2024 is 48.5 (!) and his dead cap if cut is 28.9 (!).

Come on now.

I know you love Dak and hate Zeke but there's no comparison here.
You can pay a QB though. That's the problem. You're comparing apples to oranges. Paying a RB doesn't pay off. Dak's contract won't hurt you if you don't have awful deals out there like the Zeke deal.

And I probably shouldn't have mentioned Dak but my point is don't make stupid contracts with positions like RB and paying your QB becomes less of a problem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom