2021 Season Gameday Chatter | Super Bowl LVI | Bengals vs Rams | 02-13-2022

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I understood both sides during the Zeke contract negotiations.

On Zeke's side, he plays a position with a short shelf-life and that rarely sees big 2nd contracts. With slotted rookie contracts pretty much every other position gets a huge pay raise on that 2nd contract but it's a bit taboo to do that with RBs. So while other players get to cash in on their great seasons, teams generally don't want to reward RBs. Therefore I understood why he wanted to get paid sooner rather than later.

I think the Cowboys felt compelled to resign him because they invested a #4 draft pick in him. If Zeke were a mid-round draft pick I think they probably allow him to walk. I think most teams who spend that high of a draft pick on a Pro Bowl caliber player (which Zeke was at the time) would color outside some of their normal contract boundaries to sign that player to a 2nd contract. Regardless of the player's position. Kickers excluded obviously.
I get all that but the slotting for a #4 pick is still top NFL RB money. So I didn't feel bad for the guy. He wasn't a third round pick making less than a mil a season.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
As I mentioned in another post, a lot of penalties refs call are driven by players reputations. The Cowboys have a reputation for being undisciplined and heavily penalized.

So which comes first?

The refs call penalties against the Cowboys because they have a reputation.

But they have a reputation because the refs call penalties.

Genghis Khan

You can pay a QB though. That's the problem. You're comparing apples to oranges. Paying a RB doesn't pay off. Dak's contract won't hurt you if you don't have awful deals out there like the Zeke deal.

This was your comparison, not mine.

We're talking absolute dollars here, not relative.

30 or 40 (or more!) million keeps you from signing other players waaaaay more than 16 or 18 million. That's the fact.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This was your comparison, not mine.

We're talking absolute dollars here, not relative.

30 or 40 (or more!) million keeps you from signing other players waaaaay more than 16 or 18 million. That's the fact.
Yeah, shouldn't have mentioned Dak. I'm just annoyed that we gave Zeke a contract with no out which is as dumb as it gets to me when talking Rbs.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
hopefully they won't be dumb enough to pay Pollard either

Genghis Khan

The Bengals OL couldn't block the Rams the entire 2nd half. So why call another pass play on 4th and 1 with the game on the line? Give the ball to Mixon.

Yep, and they should have given it to Mixon on third and 1 instead of Perine.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
fans are complaining that Donald was lined up in the neutral zone on 4th and 1, but I don't see it

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
fans are complaining that Donald was lined up in the neutral zone on 4th and 1, but I don't see it
As a fan of a team that was picked on by refs more than any team I don't really give a shit about other teams claiming to have not gotten a favorable call.

Genghis Khan

I could see an argument for Stafford if he wins another one with the Rams. Even then he's probably more Jim Plunkett than anything. Good but not great.

Ryan I think is closer if you take Super Bowl wins out of the equation, but his numbers are less impressive looking back today than they looked at the time. I think he was considered top 5 or so for a few years which is "an" argument but ultimately I think he also was good not great and not a HOFer.

Top Bottom