2021 NFL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's what I want. Seems like most of the good ILBs are more quick, athletic guys who can cover and run to the ball. Jaylon makes me wary of another big, long-legged guy who looks good but can't move laterally.

But like Booze said, I doubt our sunglass-selling stiff is going anywhere.
Yeah LBers to me are all about quickness, speed and lateral agility. I want a beefy Dline and I'm not worried much about my LBers size. Parsons may be Khalil Mack for all I know but to me that's what you're looking for if you want a big LBer at the top of the draft.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If the Cowboys draft UNC RB Javonte Williams any time after the second round I’m good with jt. He has to declare first but god damn. Marion Barber reborn.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
For anyone wondering...

Cotton

Staff member

If only we could have bumbled our way to a loss against the Bengals.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mel has Davyion Nixon number 10 on his most recent big board, what do you think of him?

I saw that he was named Big 10 DPOY just recently.
Yeah the guy has been awesome this year. 5.5 sacks in only 8 games. The sample size is small though. He wasn't a big player for us last year and was a transfer before that. He literally looks like a squatty DE physically at Iowa but plays DT and weighs 305 pounds. And the fact that he wasn't a big player for us past year shouldn't be read too much into. Ferentz almost always makes players wait before playing them.

He is a guy who will be very technically sound agaimst the run but can be a terror against the pass. Iowa isn't a team that let's Dlineman shoot gaps. They want their guys to be stout and stop the run first.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah the guy has been awesome this year. 5.5 sacks in only 8 games. The sample size is small though. He wasn't a big player for us last year and was a transfer before that. He literally looks like a squatty DE physically at Iowa but plays DT and weighs 305 pounds. And the fact that he wasn't a big player for us past year shouldn't be read too much into. Ferentz almost always makes players wait before playing them.

He is a guy who will be very technically sound agaimst the run but can be a terror against the pass. Iowa isn't a team that let's Dlineman shoot gaps. They want their guys to be stout and stop the run first.
I just watched the Michigan St. game and he definitely looks smallish but very athletic and has seemingly very long arms, looked technically sound playing the run as well.

I'll have to watch some more of him but unfortunately he looks like yet another guy who you'd be happy with in the 15-20ish range but not top 5.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just watched the Michigan St. game and he definitely looks smallish but very athletic and has seemingly very long arms, looked technically sound playing the run as well.

I'll have to watch some more of him but unfortunately he looks like yet another guy who you'd be happy with in the 15-20ish range but not top 5.
Yeah I mean no one cares now but Aaron Donald went 13th because teams want big DTs. Hell most of us here want a 6'5" 310+ pound DT. But some of the best DTs in the NFL in recent history have been Donald and Suh. Neither guy is big but they dominated during their primes.

So he isn't going to look physically imposing but the guy doesn't play soft. He will play strong against the run. And he can make plays in the backfield.

We can always draft a big dude later in the draft. And be set at DT for a long time.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah I mean no one cares now but Aaron Donald went 13th because teams want big DTs. Hell most of us here want a 6'5" 310+ pound DT. But some of the best DTs in the NFL in recent history have been Donald and Suh. Neither guy is big but they dominated during their primes.

So he isn't going to look physically imposing but the guy doesn't play soft. He will play strong against the run. And he can make plays in the backfield.

We can always draft a big dude later in the draft. And be set at DT for a long time.
Do you think he's worth a top 10 pick?

I've only seen one game so I'm not ruling it out one way or the other, gotta see more of him.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yeah I mean no one cares now but Aaron Donald went 13th because teams want big DTs.
Talent always trumps raw size, but at some point you are too thin to win.

What helps Donald is he's 285+ and only 6'1" tall. That stoutness combines with his motor, quickness, and agility give him leverage as a penetrator.

Donald will never be confused with a 1-tech that needs to anchor, hold the line, and protect linebackers.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you think he's worth a top 10 pick?

I've only seen one game so I'm not ruling it out one way or the other, gotta see more of him.
I think top 10 would be pushing it. But again it's probably in part because of the small sample size. I'm used to seeing guys dominate for a couple years before I start thinking top 10 for a guy. The sample size for him really feels like 8 games. Prior to this year he wasn't hardly on my radar even as an Iowa fan. And honestly this college football season has just felt weird. The kid is really starting to come into his own. One more college season and I'd probably be saying yes. But as a redshirt Junior he should probably come out and reap the benefits of being a first round pick.

I'd put him more in the 10-20 range. But if he runs well and he really could, who knows. Like I've said, he moves more like a DE than a DT.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think top 10 would be pushing it. But again it's probably in part because of the small sample size. I'm used to seeing guys dominate for a couple years before I start thinking top 10 for a guy. The sample size for him really feels like 8 games. Prior to this year he wasn't hardly on my radar even as an Iowa fan. And honestly this college football season has just felt weird. The kid is really starting to come into his own. One more college season and I'd probably be saying yes. But as a redshirt Junior he should probably come out and reap the benefits of being a first round pick.

I'd put him more in the 10-20 range. But if he runs well and he really could, who knows. Like I've said, he moves more like a DE than a DT.
Interesting, I only saw him against Michigan St. and you can definitely see the movement ability and explosiveness, he also looks to have impressive arm length. Hopefully he plays in their bowl game so I can get another look but if we win another game and end up picking around 12-15 we might have to start talking about him more seriously.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess we'll just have to win shootouts forever

I've seen so many first round TE's I thought were generational talents. Not many of them have become anything of the sort. Instead it's the Kelces and Kittles of the world who are the special TE talents. Maybe Pitts will change that but I've seen this story play out too many times.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I've seen so many first round TE's I thought were generational talents. Not many of them have become anything of the sort. Instead it's the Kelces and Kittles of the world who are the special TE talents. Maybe Pitts will change that but I've seen this story play out too many times.
Who did you think was generational in the last 10 years?

Hockenson was a great prospect and has more or less lived up to it, but I don't think he was considered generational necessarily. The only guy I can think of who was considered generational was Winslow almost 20 years ago.

I'm not certain whether I'd consider Pitts generational but I think he's surely the best receiving TE to come out in at least 10 years.

Cotton

Staff member

Hockenson was a great prospect and has more or less lived up to it, but I don't think he was considered generational necessarily. The only guy I can think of who was considered generational was Winslow almost 20 years ago.

I'm not certain whether I'd consider Pitts generational but I think he's surely the best receiving TE to come out in at least 10 years.
I thought Njoku could have been a generational talent. Apparently, I was wrong.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Eric Ebron went what 10th? Vernon Davis went what 6th?

Both have had solid moments but hardly generational talents.

Obviously Kellen Winslow went 6th and that didn't go well at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom