2021 NFL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That leaves Dallas with the ability to draft the top defensive player in this class. It seems like a great situation to be in, considering all of the help needed on that side of the ball. The problem is that the 2021 class doesn’t have an elite instant impact game-changer like Chase Young, Nick Bosa, Myles Garrett or Joey Bosa, edge rushers who have all gone in the top three the last five years.

In this scenario, the Cowboys might have to take the top cornerback. Brugler has them doing that, going with Virginia Tech’s Caleb Farley. He opted out of this year’s college football season because of COVID-19 concerns and to focus on preparing for the 2021 draft. Farley (6-2, 207) led the ACC with 16 passes defended last season to go along with four interceptions. Another option would be Alabama cornerback Patrick Surtain, whom Brugler has going to the Los Angeles Chargers fifth overall. Cornerback is arguably the Cowboys’ biggest need. Farley or Surtain could immediately step in as starters next season opposite of Trevon Diggs. In three of Mike McCarthy’s last four drafts in Green Bay, the Packers selected defensive backs with their first two picks.
This would be a nightmare. Rarely is a corner worth a top five pick, much less these two particular players.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This would be a nightmare. Rarely is a corner worth a top five pick, much less these two particular players.
Yea, there's legitimately no good reason to take either of them at 4. Theoretically if one of them were the clear BPA, fine, but I think it'd take a very large leap of faith to evaluate either of them as such. I might be able to be talked into it if Farley runs like a 4.41 or something with his size and ball skills, but it'd still be a leap of faith.

I'd much rather roll the dice on Parsons or Rousseau if we're forced to pick at 4, with trading back being ideal obviously.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea, there's legitimately no good reason to take either of them at 4. Theoretically if one of them were the clear BPA, fine, but I think it'd take a very large leap of faith to evaluate either of them as such. I might be able to be talked into it if Farley runs like a 4.41 or something with his size and ball skills, but it'd still be a leap of faith.

I'd much rather roll the dice on Parsons or Rousseau if we're forced to pick at 4, with trading back being ideal obviously.
Yeah I'm curious to see Rousseau work out. The guy has the perfect build and production that you love from basically one year of football. I also don't know what kind of fire and passion the guy has. No one wants another Taco Charleton.

Still not sold on Parsons. I see a lot of North and South plays with him but I worry about his lateral speed to fly and make plays. I wonder if we wouldn't be better served with a smaller more athletic guy next to LVE.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah I'm curious to see Rousseau work out. The guy has the perfect build and production that you love from basically one year of football. I also don't know what kind of fire and passion the guy has. No one wants another Taco Charleton.

Still not sold on Parsons. I see a lot of North and South plays with him but I worry about his lateral speed to fly and make plays. I wonder if we wouldn't be better served with a smaller more athletic guy next to LVE.
You will get more Jaylon and like it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You will get more Jaylon and like it.
Oh I'm sure. I seriously doubt we take a LBer in the first next year because of Jaylon. I'm just wondering a little out loud if someone like
Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah isn't a better fit next to LVE. Of course that guy isn't going in the top 10.

At this point I just want to trade down. I like Farley and I like Parsons but I don't really like either of them at 4. Truth be told I don't really like anyone at 4 unless we needed a QB. Which is probably why the only teams that may trade with us are teams needing a franchise QB.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
That would be great, Mike, if there were someone at DT worthy of a Top 5 pick.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
That's what I want. Seems like most of the good ILBs are more quick, athletic guys who can cover and run to the ball. Jaylon makes me wary of another big, long-legged guy who looks good but can't move laterally.

But like Booze said, I doubt our sunglass-selling stiff is going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom