Status
Not open for further replies.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If we end up with a top 5 pick, I am shopping the shit out of it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I know Twymen isn't the massive DT we necissarily want with our run stopping problems. He is more the classic 3 technique we have desired in the past. But I must say, a DT out of Pitt wearing Aaron Donalds number and racking up over 10 sacks last season at least interests me.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah do we even run that much Cover 3 still?

Anyway I don't trust projections like that much at this point. I think we will be picking higher than 8 and I have no idea if Farley is even who we would be interested in. I do like the fact that he has 6 picks in 2 years. But honestly the opting out shit is going to make this a tough draft to evaluate. Gregory Rousseau is another guy who opted out basically after one year of stellar production. He looks like he has everything you want in a stud DE with 15.5 sacks the year prior with size and athletic ability. But will he project as high as he would have had he played this season and repeated with a double digit sack performance? Is Micah Parsons an option at LBer? It's kind of a rough year to have a top pick because of the way the college season has gone.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
There isn't going to be a DT there worth a top 10 pick, which sucks for us, but we could get value in a Marvin Wilson or some such at the top of the second.

Right now if we're picking in the top 5 my choices are:

1. Trade down with a QB needy team for a bounty
2. Sewell
3. Parsons
4. Rousseau

I'll be curious to see if someone jumps up over the next month or so but at this point guys like Surtain and Farley don't enthuse me in the top 5ish, even though I do think they're better than CJ Henderson last year and probably Okudah even as well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There isn't going to be a DT there worth a top 10 pick, which sucks for us, but we could get value in a Marvin Wilson or some such at the top of the second.

Right now if we're picking in the top 5 my choices are:

1. Trade down with a QB needy team for a bounty
2. Sewell
3. Parsons
4. Rousseau

I'll be curious to see if someone jumps up over the next month or so but at this point guys like Surtain and Farley don't enthuse me in the top 5ish, even though I do think they're better than CJ Henderson last year and probably Okudah even as well.
Would suck to burn a super high pick on an OT but if it fixes OT for the next 10 years again it's worth it. I agree with making the strength of our team (the offense) even more dominant. My preference is for defense though. I'm more open to Surtain than most will be on this board. But pairing him and Diggs at corner is sure tempting. Especially since there are no elite DTs in this draft. Parsons and LVE would be awesome too.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Would suck to burn a super high pick on an OT but if it fixes OT for the next 10 years again it's worth it. I agree with making the strength of our team (the offense) even more dominant. My preference is for defense though. I'm more open to Surtain than most will be on this board. But pairing him and Diggs at corner is sure tempting. Especially since there are no elite DTs in this draft. Parsons and LVE would be awesome too.
Sewell would be the BPA, I'd prefer the BPA to be on defense but it is what it is. He'd replace Williams immediately and then whenever Smith is done he's our LT for the rest of his career.

After that I prefer Parsons because I think he's a Bobby Wagner type LB, I'd be ok with Surtain because he's a perfectly fine prospect, he just doesn't give me those "potential HOF" vibes like Parsons does.

I'd also rather gamble on Rousseau than Surtain because the guy is 6-6 270 and put up 20 TFL and 15 sacks last year. I don't think he's an elite edge rusher just yet but I'm gambling on that size/production/length all day.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sewell would be the BPA, I'd prefer the BPA to be on defense but it is what it is. He'd replace Williams immediately and then whenever Smith is done he's our LT for the rest of his career.

After that I prefer Parsons because I think he's a Bobby Wagner type LB, I'd be ok with Surtain because he's a perfectly fine prospect, he just doesn't give me those "potential HOF" vibes like Parsons does.

I'd also rather gamble on Rousseau than Surtain because the guy is 6-6 270 and put up 20 TFL and 15 sacks last year. I don't think he's an elite edge rusher just yet but I'm gambling on that size/production/length all day.
I like Parsons a lot but 4-3 Lbers shouldn't be so hard to find. I don't know how much I love using a top 5 pick on an off the ball LBer. History in the NFL doesn't really support it either. But I tend to trust a LBer out of a school like Penn State. I don't think he has much bust potential.

Rousseau is the most intriguing to me but I feel ok about Lawrence amd Gregory. It's the interior of our Dline that stanks. Still love the kids length and production. And the more pass rushers the better always.

By the way, if you want to fix the run defense I would consider Shelvin with a high second round pick. He is your classic space eater inside. 340+ pound DT out of LSU opted out this season I believe. I think he would pair exceptionally with Hill and Gallimore to shore up the inside long term.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I like Parsons a lot but 4-3 Lbers shouldn't be so hard to find. I don't know how much I love using a top 5 pick on an off the ball LBer. History in the NFL doesn't really support it either. But I tend to trust a LBer out of a school like Penn State. I don't think he has much bust potential.

Rousseau is the most intriguing to me but I feel ok about Lawrence amd Gregory. It's the interior of our Dline that stanks. Still love the kids length and production. And the more pass rushers the better always.

By the way, if you want to fix the run defense I would consider Shelvin with a high second round pick. He is your classic space eater inside. 340+ pound DT out of LSU opted out this season I believe. I think he would pair exceptionally with Hill and Gallimore to shore up the inside long term.
I generally agree about LB but you go where the talent is.

I don't love the idea of going OL in the 1st but if we're sitting at 3 and can't trade down for a bounty I'm not reaching for another position just because. I think Parsons is the most sure thing after Sewell, so that's where I'd go if Sewell is off the board.

He looks like the next great LB in the mold of Wagner/Kuechly, etc., a LB version of Jamal Adams in a way, and he brings an added dimension of pass rush/blitzing ability. He was a DE in HS and got moved to LB as a freshman at Penn St., so he still has some of that ability/technique, not as a pure edge rusher by any means, but a souped up ability to blitz as a LB.

I always thought the Jaylon Smith pass rush stuff was kind of nonsense, but with Parsons I could easily see him putting up 4-6 sacks a year with consistency. Smith put up 4.5 sacks in 3 years at Notre Dame, Parsons put up 6.5 in 2, and actually has that history from HS of being a straight up DE.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah Sewell does look like the best player in the draft outside of QB. I wouldn't be against him at all.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Need to see some more pass-rush production out of Paye, he's a brick shithouse against the run and he flashes as a pass-rusher, but he's not consistent and doesn't look to have great bend/explosiveness.

He had 2 sacks against Minnesota in garbage time that were really impressive, but they were also up by about 20 in the 4th and just pinning their ears back. If he puts up about 8-10 sacks I think taking him in the top 10 is reasonable, although I'd probably rather gamble on Rousseau.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Need to see some more pass-rush production out of Paye, he's a brick shithouse against the run and he flashes as a pass-rusher, but he's not consistent and doesn't look to have great bend/explosiveness.

He had 2 sacks against Minnesota in garbage time that were really impressive, but they were also up by about 20 in the 4th and just pinning their ears back. If he puts up about 8-10 sacks I think taking him in the top 10 is reasonable, although I'd probably rather gamble on Rousseau.
Yeah no thanks to Paye in the first round at all. I'd be very disappointed if we finally have a top pick and waste it on a mediocre DE prospect who probably busts.

That mock draft seems a bit off to me though. I guess it's sort of a hard college football season to get a good feel for the draft prospects. I feel a little like I'm still basing all my opinions off 2019 because the college football season has sort of been a mess, some conferences just started playing and some of these top players opted out.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah no thanks to Paye in the first round at all. I'd be very disappointed if we finally have a top pick and waste it on a mediocre DE prospect who probably busts.

That mock draft seems a bit off to me though. I guess it's sort of a hard college football season to get a good feel for the draft prospects. I feel a little like I'm still basing all my opinions off 2019 because the college football season has sort of been a mess, some conferences just started playing and some of these top players opted out.
We'll see, Paye could still have a huge year and justify being a high pick but at this point I'd have him more in the 20ish range, someone I'd be thrilled to get with our top 5 pick in the 2nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom