Zack Martin To Holdout?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wasn't there some smoke early in the off season about him potentially retiring?
There was. Makes me wonder if it was a tactic to get an extension or legit contemplating retirement. The problem is if you give a guy like that a big signing bonus on an extension and he retires a year from now. You're not getting that money back. It's like an unwritten rule in the NFL that you don't do that as a team. That's basically what Witten did to us at one point.

So yeah, there are other dynamics here than just, he is an awesome player, pay the man more money. Clearly a contract to him doesn't mean a whole lot.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That must ONLY happen in Dallas...

View attachment 693562
He at least got a shot at it. If the AFC had any good coaches left in the 80’s that respected defense besides 100 year old Marv Levy then Shula would have been forced to build on the defensive side of the ball and given him maybe one more crack at it.

Instead, the whole conference not only deprioritized defense that decade, they also mostly bailed on the running game and went completely pass-happy.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I admit I stole this from the zone, but it's a pretty good point. It sounds here like Jerry would be willing to give Martin more money if he'd extend his contract -- he just doesn't want to give him more money for the same time frame he's already signed to.

(The vid should start about the right time.)

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I admit I stole this from the zone, but it's a pretty good point. It sounds here like Jerry would be willing to give Martin more money if he'd extend his contract -- he just doesn't want to give him more money for the same time frame he's already signed to.

And that fits for the method they want to sign Prescott, Parsons and others. I can understand that. Martin has three good years left probably, Jones wants to push money out he will not likely get to earn.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Hard to tell but if he is asking for more money without an extension then he can fuck off. I'd be surprised if that were the case but who knows?

Either way I don't think either the team or Martin minds him being away at the moment. He doesn't need camp and the team gets a chance to really evaluate and mitigation plan with the young OL getting so many reps. The real inflection point is right around 8-10 days out from the opener.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And by the way, acting like this is a thing that's happening to him that he's making the best of, as opposed to the reality that he's causing all this, is absurd.
He may be instigating but not everybody is as dumb as Tyron Smith to sign the kind of contract he did.

He's an all timer that knows his shelf life.

If Jones is being a dick, then he should hold out. All-timers earn that.

All it took was Elliott going to Cabo to work out to get Jones to cave.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
He may be instigating but not everybody is as dumb as Tyron Smith to sign the kind of contract he did.

He's an all timer that knows his shelf life.

If Jones is being a dick, then he should hold out. All-timers earn that.

All it took was Elliott going to Cabo to work out to get Jones to cave.

Tyron's career earnings are going to hit $115 million after this year. I don't consider that dumb.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Jerry will cave, because every year is a SB year and we can't do it without Martin.

• Props
Reactions: p1_
Top Bottom