Where is Romo Going? Thread

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If you had that amount of money in the bank and a cushy job waiting for you (TV) would you just go anywhere to work if your heart was not in it?

You might be totally right and Romo would just go anywhere and play but you are not looking at history or accounting for human behavior.
Irrelevant.

Jerry Jones treats him like one of his own demon spawn.

He'd give him away rather than use his value for the franchise's benefit.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:lol

Stop acting like this is a real world job and players should act like joe schmo.

And no team is paying Romo 20 million plus in 2018 and 19 without covering themselves for injury, so yeah that contract has to be restructured.

Name 1 top level QB who has ever been traded to somewhere he did not want to be, no team would or should trade for a starting QB who is not fully on board or that is just there because he wants his money.

Sorry you are wrong.
Sam Bradford traded for a first.

Carson Palmer was traded for a first and second.

Jay Cutler was traded for a first round pick.

Drew Bledsoe was traded for a first round pick (Oddly similar situation to ours, don't you think? And it was a shit Bills team he went to).

Trent Green traded.

Brad Johnson was traded after putting up elite numbers with the Vikes.

The list really goes on and on and on. How many of those QBs dictated what team they would play for?

And restructure? Go and look at contracts for QBs. You don't know what you're talking about there either. Romo's contract average per year is like 17th in the NFL. Guys like Jay Cutler are making more money. So don't come here with that nonsense.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you had that amount of money in the bank and a cushy job waiting for you (TV) would you just go anywhere to work if your heart was not in it?

You might be totally right and Romo would just go anywhere and play but you are not looking at history or accounting for human behavior.
Name the QBs who chose to retire instead of play for the team they were traded to? Guys like Romo don't look at a team and think, we can't win games.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Irrelevant.

Jerry Jones treats him like one of his own demon spawn.

He'd give him away rather than use his value for the franchise's benefit.
And Jerry very well may screw the pooch in this situation. But that will be totally on him. It's not going to be because of some super special imaginary leverage Romo has. It's not going to be because of Romo's "massive" 14 mil salary next year. It will be because Jerry decided to lube up his butthole and take one from Romo.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I am pretty sure this is what will happen but that list will probably be very short and those teams might not be willing to give up anything knowing he will not be on the team next year.

For it to work out Romo has to at least act like he is open to being a backup.
If Romo was willing to be a backup then any trade scenario is gone. But Romo won't be a backup next year. He will either start for someone or he will retire. I don't think he would even entertain a back up role with the Cowboys. He has more value than most think. The injury bugaboo is the obvious sticky wicket so there will have to be a contingency with who ever takes him on. He is extremely valuable or non usuable. There is no in between. That's how this situation will work out. He will agree to renoigate his contract with a reasonable reduction and then the Cowboys organization will essentially underwrite a substantial amount of the contingency if for some reason he cannot perform within the agreed on terms.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Wishful thinking is he takes a paycut and continues to back up Dak. He really should consider it.

Seriously, in what other NFL scenario is Romo still standing 19-22 games into a season and preseason? Who else has the OL and running game and young QB to take beatings away from Romo's fragile body?

Houston, if they build the OL would be the best bet. Romo can build a lead and Osweiler can finish games behind that running game and defense.

But knowing we're covered if the worst happens to Dak, or even if he gets his bell rung, would be huge.

Outside of Houston I think Dallas is Romo's best chance of playing meaningful snaps for a contender.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Wishful thinking is he takes a paycut and continues to back up Dak. He really should consider it.

Seriously, in what other NFL scenario is Romo still standing 19-22 games into a season and preseason? Who else has the OL and running game and young QB to take beatings away from Romo's fragile body?

Houston, if they build the OL would be the best bet. Romo can build a lead and Osweiler can finish games behind that running game and defense.

But knowing we're covered if the worst happens to Dak, or even if he gets his bell rung, would be huge.

Outside of Houston I think Dallas is Romo's best chance of playing meaningful snaps for a contender.
Romo is dead in Dallas. No way he stays on the squad nor will management allow it. He would be a sign to Dak that he was boing undermined. We all might as well get used to it Romo is gone from the Cowboys.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Now you imagine a closer type situation in the NFL, eh?

Maybe we should try to trade Kellen Moore to them. He might be decent in long relief/3rd quarter.

Last edited:

Landry

DCC 4Life
Romo might also consider the Texans because of the tax break in Texas. Plus his home is in Texas.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Sifting through possible Tony Romo destinations
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- If you want to see what Tony Romo looks like in a jersey for the Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns, Denver Broncos, Houston Texans, Kansas City Chiefs, San Francisco 49ers, Chicago Bears or New York Jets, you should read this story.

ESPN put together a list of the possible Romo landing spots in 2017 and included the Cowboys. Personally, I believe the only way Romo returns to the Cowboys in 2017 is as the named starter right now. And we know that’s not happening.

The teams were put in two categories: “realistic chance” and “long shot but not impossible.”

The Cowboys, Bears and Jets were in the “realistic chance” category. I’ve already told you how I feel about Romo’s chances of returning to the Cowboys. The Bears have a former Romo teammate at Eastern Illinois, Ryan Pace, as their general manager, but they don’t appear close to winning. Jets coach Todd Bowles was on the Cowboys’ staff early in Romo’s tenure in Dallas, but the Jets don’t appear close to winning, either. Plus, the New England Patriots are a formidable road block in the division.

The Bills, Broncos, Chiefs, Browns, Texans and Niners were in the “long shot but not impossible,” category.

Let’s eliminate the Bills and Browns because they’re not close to winning, either.

The Niners are intriguing because of Kyle Shanahan. He has admired Romo from afar. His dad, Mike, was and remains a big fan of Romo’s. Mike Shanahan tried to sign him as an undrafted rookie in 2003 and has maintained a relationship with Romo. The Niners have a lot of cap room ($80 million) and a good running back (Carlos Hyde), but not much else.

But there’s $80 million in cap room and six draft picks in the top 150. Perhaps there’s a chance for a quick turnaround, especially with a motivated ownership group that has been mocked since parting ways with Jim Harbaugh.

The Chiefs have Alex Smith under contract, but is he a quarterback good enough to get a team to the playoffs but not make enough plays when it counts? Andy Reid has coached against Romo and knows his strengths. The Chiefs have a more-than-solid defense with quality pass-rushers, especially if Justin Houston is healthy. The Chiefs are near the bottom of the league in terms of cap space, but that can be changed quickly.

Since Romo was shown at an inauguration party with John Elway, everybody wants to put the Broncos at the top of the list. They have a championship-ready defense. Elway has shown he will do whatever it takes to win. They have formidable offensive weapons, but a line that is somewhat spotty. Since the season ended, the Broncos publicly have backed Trevor Siemian and Paxton Lynch, whom the Cowboys regretted not trading up to draft last spring.

If Romo goes to Denver, then he has to match what Peyton Manning did. Those are big shoes, but it’s not something Romo would run from at all.

In Houston, Romo would have to be better than … Brock Osweiler. And that’s a lot easier. Plus, the AFC South is not the strongest of divisions, although the Tennessee Titans appear to be on the come. The Indianapolis Colts have Andrew Luck, but seem to be a mess internally. The Jacksonville Jaguars are well, the Jaguars.

The Texans have won three straight division titles with, politely, uneven quarterback play. They have a good running back in Lamar Miller. They have a solid receiver in DeAndre Hopkins. And they have the best statistical defense in the NFL and will welcome back J.J. Watt in 2017. Coach Bill O’Brien can have an innovative offense if he has a quarterback that can run it, and Romo has that capability.

Osweiler is guaranteed another $16 million from the Texans in 2017, but nothing is impossible when it comes to contracts in the NFL.

If the financials can work all the way around, Houston would make the most sense for Romo. It gives him the best chance to win right now.

But there will be suitors for Romo. Maybe more than we can possibly know right now.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Houston makes the most sense, followed by Kansas City.

I just don't see Denver doing it, and I don't see Romo being interested.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Houston makes the most sense, followed by Kansas City.

I just don't see Denver doing it, and I don't see Romo being interested.
Why would Romo not be interested in Denver? Elite defense that he basically has never had in his career. Elite level WRs and weapons on offense. He'd be handed the keys to a team who didn't even make the playoffs last year but has the talent to win the Superbowl with him. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Genghis Khan

Why would Romo not be interested in Denver? Elite defense that he basically has never had in his career. Elite level WRs and weapons on offense. He'd be handed the keys to a team who didn't even make the playoffs last year but has the talent to win the Superbowl with him. Seems like a no brainer to me.
Because of Lynch and Simien. If I'm Romo and could choose, I wouldn't want another situation like in Dallas where an heir apparent could come in through injury and never give the job back. If there's a real risk he could be sitting on the bench watching he might as well stay in Dallas.

Genghis Khan

And by the way, his weapons and defense wouldn't really be any worse in Houston.

Besides which, I'm not so sure Denver's defense will continue to be elite without Wade.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
If he has another injury you have to figure his career would be done?? Surely even he would have to acknowledge that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And by the way, his weapons and defense wouldn't really be any worse in Houston.

Besides which, I'm not so sure Denver's defense will continue to be elite without Wade.
I could see why he might prefer Houston to Denver. But it's not like Romo is just sitting there picking the exact team he wants. I mean he is going to have to consider multiple situations. Simien sucks and Lynch really hasn't shown anything. I don't think either should be a concern for Romo at this point. Denver would certainly be a great situation for Romo. Just maybe not as good as Houston.

dallen

Senior Tech
I can not see in any Universe Jerry Jones letting Tony Romo go to Houston. He might be in the family portrait, but Jerry isn't going to risk losing a bunch of in state fans to Houston. If he does he is an idiot. There is an entire generation of kids in Texas that have grown up idolizing Romo.

Top Bottom