Where is Romo Going? Thread

marsbennett

Brand New Member
That's not leverage. That Romo losing a bunch of money. It's also leverage for us to the point of his contract falling off the books and dropping tons of money off of our cap.
Oh that is plenty of leverage. He can veto any trade. Not to mention Jerry wouldn't do that to him. That is FORCE Romo.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh that is plenty of leverage. He can veto any trade. Not to mention Jerry wouldn't do that to him. That is FORCE Romo.
Jerry's personal friendship with Romo is the only leverage Romo has. Granted Jerry absolutely lets personal friendships withplayers cloud his judgment so it's likely here as well.

Thankfully I've seen no indication that Romo is going to act like a spoiled baby either.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Jerry's personal friendship with Romo is the only leverage Romo has. Granted Jerry absolutely lets personal friendships withplayers cloud his judgment so it's likely here as well.

Thankfully I've seen no indication that Romo is going to act like a spoiled baby either.
So if Romo uses whatever leverage he has to not get traded to the Browns he is acting like a spoiled baby?

Man you just way off base about this.

And nobody is paying Romo 60 million over the rest of contract with his injury history, another reality you ignore.

Romo is going to have to restructure and that will only be with a team he wants to play for.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm not sure we'd get any cap relief in that situation.
Only $30 mill over the next two years. 5 mill this year and almost 25 mill in 2018. That doesn't even factor in the 2019 year on his contract.

Cotton

Staff member
Sure he CAN. But, everyone knows he won't.And, if he does, no skin off our backs. Just saves us a ton of money. Like I said, no leverage.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So if Romo uses whatever leverage he has to not get traded to the Browns he is acting like a spoiled baby?

Man you just way off base about this.

And nobody is paying Romo 60 million over the rest of contract with his injury history, another reality you ignore.
First of all, dictating to your employer where you are or are not willing to be traded to with nothing in your contract that gives you that authority makes you a spoiled baby. Harming your team on the way out by limiting your trade value, makes you a apoiled baby. NFL players get traded every year amd don't have a say in where they are traded. So yes, throwing a hissyfit about which teams you want to play for makes him a spoiled baby. Which Romo isn't in my opinion.

As far as the contract it doesn't have to be restructed. Certainly not in the first year. Romo is scheduled to make 14 mil next year. Which is a low salary for an NFL starting QB. After that year depending on what happened his new NFL team may or may not want to restructure. If Romo has a monster season 22 mil might seem reasonable. But the NFL team again has all the leverage in the restructure. And they have the luxury of being able to cut him with no dead cap.

Sorry, I am right.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Only $30 mill over the next two years. 5 mill this year and almost 25 mill in 2018. That doesn't even factor in the 2019 year on his contract.
Don't they get the same relief just for trading or cutting him?

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I do, because if you don't have a passion to play you don't have a passion to play. IF you have the passion, you're not going to just retire. But since you think NFL players are motivated to avoid retirement strictly because of money, imagine Romo has almost 60 mil left on his contract to earn. More then Collins entire "big" contract for example.
You can have the passion but not the circumstances, see Aikman. It's still a job and people who don't like their workplace look for other jobs all the time. As per the money would you be more willing to walk away from 1/3 of the money you have or from 10 times the money you have? Let's not forget that it's been said Romo has been courted tcogo into broadcasting and will probably be offered a couple of millions while Collins will have his job opportuinities more in the flip burgers category...

Cotton

Staff member
Don't they get the same relief just for trading or cutting him?
My understanding is we have dead money in 2017 and 2018 regardless if he continues to play.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Can't send Romo to Cleveland or anything. Teh Jer has way to much loyalty to the man who led us to bye week playoff wins.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Romo can threaten to hold out without retiring. I doubt any team would bother trading for him if they had to deal with that.

dallen

Senior Tech
I don't have a problem with Romo picking his spot as long as he is reasonable about it. If I were Jerry I'd ask him for a list of places he would be ok with playing for and then start taking offers. This doesn't have to be a zero sum game.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The truth is this is a moot point anyway. No team like Cleveland or anyone close to it is going to trade for Romo, because they would never give up assets for a player of Romo's age and injury history. There's almost no way that the rest of the team around him could get good enough for them to win a Superbowl and justify giving up assets for him.

Those types of teams might be interested in Garoppolo but wouldn't be interested in Romo.

So it's kind of silly to even have this discussion.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The truth is this is a moot point anyway. No team like Cleveland or anyone close to it is going to trade for Romo, because they would never give up assets for a player of Romo's age and injury history. There's almost no way that the rest of the team around him could get good enough for them to win a Superbowl and justify giving up assets for him.

Those types of teams might be interested in Garoppolo but wouldn't be interested in Romo.

So it's kind of silly to even have this discussion.
And I agree with this. It would be absolutely retarded for a team like the Browns to trade for Romo. Not really unheard of from a franchise that has continually screwed itself, but the trade would make no sense for them.

A more interesting question would be a team like the Rams. A bad team but one with some talent to work with. One that is in dire need of a winning season just to keep their fan base. I'm sure they wouldn't be a top choice for Romo but he isn't going to hold out or retire if you trade him their either. It's why I wouldn't even ask Romo where he wants to go. That gets too messy. Trade the man and he will play wherever he goes.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Sure he CAN. But, everyone knows he won't.And, if he does, no skin off our backs. Just saves us a ton of money. Like I said, no leverage.
If Romo refuses to play for someone, they won't trade for him.

All QB's have leverage. Shit, John Elway and Eli Manning used that leverage to influence where they landed as rookies.

Jiggyfly

Banned
First of all, dictating to your employer where you are or are not willing to be traded to with nothing in your contract that gives you that authority makes you a spoiled baby. Harming your team on the way out by limiting your trade value, makes you a apoiled baby. NFL players get traded every year amd don't have a say in where they are traded. So yes, throwing a hissyfit about which teams you want to play for makes him a spoiled baby. Which Romo isn't in my opinion.

As far as the contract it doesn't have to be restructed. Certainly not in the first year. Romo is scheduled to make 14 mil next year. Which is a low salary for an NFL starting QB. After that year depending on what happened his new NFL team may or may not want to restructure. If Romo has a monster season 22 mil might seem reasonable. But the NFL team again has all the leverage in the restructure. And they have the luxury of being able to cut him with no dead cap.

Sorry, I am right.
:lol

Stop acting like this is a real world job and players should act like joe schmo.

And no team is paying Romo 20 million plus in 2018 and 19 without covering themselves for injury, so yeah that contract has to be restructured.

Name 1 top level QB who has ever been traded to somewhere he did not want to be, no team would or should trade for a starting QB who is not fully on board or that is just there because he wants his money.

Sorry you are wrong.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I don't have a problem with Romo picking his spot as long as he is reasonable about it. If I were Jerry I'd ask him for a list of places he would be ok with playing for and then start taking offers. This doesn't have to be a zero sum game.
I am pretty sure this is what will happen but that list will probably be very short and those teams might not be willing to give up anything knowing he will not be on the team next year.

For it to work out Romo has to at least act like he is open to being a backup.

Jiggyfly

Banned
And I agree with this. It would be absolutely retarded for a team like the Browns to trade for Romo. Not really unheard of from a franchise that has continually screwed itself, but the trade would make no sense for them.

A more interesting question would be a team like the Rams. A bad team but one with some talent to work with. One that is in dire need of a winning season just to keep their fan base. I'm sure they wouldn't be a top choice for Romo but he isn't going to hold out or retire if you trade him their either. It's why I wouldn't even ask Romo where he wants to go. That gets too messy. Trade the man and he will play wherever he goes.
If you had that amount of money in the bank and a cushy job waiting for you (TV) would you just go anywhere to work if your heart was not in it?

You might be totally right and Romo would just go anywhere and play but you are not looking at history or accounting for human behavior.

Top Bottom