Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bad move by CBS. Any viewers they gained by getting Simms off the games will be lost by having his ugly yellow-toothed albino ass front and center for a half an hour on the pregame.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Bad move by CBS. Any viewers they gained by getting Simms off the games will be lost by having his ugly yellow-toothed albino ass front and center for a half an hour on the pregame.
not to mention even more co workers to gas out.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Don't know if this has been discussed yet... but now that he has retired, do we get any cap relief, and if so, how much and when?

DLK150

DCC 4Life
One upside is I never watch pregame shows so at least I won't have to hear his annoying a$$ during a game.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't know if this has been discussed yet... but now that he has retired, do we get any cap relief, and if so, how much and when?
13 mil on June first. Basically it's good for signing our rookies and that's about it.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
NFL Clubs Think Tony Romo Will Play Again?
May 31st, 2017 at 6:22pm CST
by Dallas Robinson

Most NFL teams are under the impression retired quarterback Tony Romo will play again, according to Mike Freeman of Bleacher Report, who indicates clubs think Romo’s return to the league could happen “sooner” rather “than later.”Tony Romo

Romo, of course, announced his retirement last month and subsequently signed on to become CBS’ lead football commentator, replacing Phil Simms alongside Jim Nantz. Any comeback attempt, then, would likely be precipitated by a club — probably a contender — suffering an injury at the quarterback position. Indeed, several decision-makers tell Freeman that if their signal-caller goes down in the near future, Romo will be “will be one their first phone calls.”

Although he did retire, the 37-year-old Romo didn’t officially rule out an eventual return to the NFL, instead opting to say he was “99%” retired and cautioning observers to “never say never” to the possibility of a comeback. More importantly, the Cowboys chose to release Romo following his retirement announcement, meaning Dallas no longer holds Romo’s rights. If he does decide to re-enter the league, Romo will be free to choose his next team unfettered.

It’s not difficult to see why NFL teams will try to lure Romo out of retirement if the need for a quarterback strikes, as the only free agent passers with any sort of starting experience are Colin Kaepernick and Robert Griffin III. Romo, clearly, boasts a more successful track record than either of those options or the rest of the available quarterback class, which includes the likes of Shaun Hill, Zach Mettenberger, and Dan Orlovsky.

townsend

Banned
I don't buy for a second that Tony deviates from his new broadcaster career. He doesn't strike me as a half asser. I think that once he decided to take the job, then the NFL was officially behind him.

I think some clubs might be holding out for him to comeback after a Bridgewater type injury opens up a starting spot on a playoff caliber team, but that would be idiotic of Romo to even consider. CBS handed him a once in a lifetime opportunity, he has one or two years tops left in him as an NFL QB, he could be a broadcaster for the next 30 years.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't buy for a second that Tony deviates from his new broadcaster career. He doesn't strike me as a half asser. I think that once he decided to take the job, then the NFL was officially behind him.

I think some clubs might be holding out for him to comeback after a Bridgewater type injury opens up a starting spot on a playoff caliber team, but that would be idiotic of Romo to even consider. CBS handed him a once in a lifetime opportunity, he has one or two years tops left in him as an NFL QB, he could be a broadcaster for the next 30 years.
I sort of think if he goes back to playing this season that he would have burned a bridge as a broadcaster that can't be repaired.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I don't think Romo going back to play burns any bridge whatsoever. In fact I think CBS would love it.

They have spare announcers that can fill in. But they didn't hire Romo for his announcing skills. He'll obviously have to grow into that. But they hired him because of his profile.

You can't get a higher profile than one of your announcers filling in on the field. It's the ultimate in credibility. And it gets CBS Sports talked about.

Top Bottom