Week 9 Gameday Chatter | Cardinals vs. Cowboys| 11/02/2014

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, Weeden sucking out loud was the biggest problem. What do you want, an alibi?

No.... I wasn't talking about Garrett.

I was simply pointing out that the biggest problem with this offense isn't the number of runs being called, it's the success of the passing game, which is currently failing.

My point is more along the lines of, we all got way too caught up with this "WE NEED TO RUN 60% OF THE TIME AND NEVER RELY ON THE PASS AGAIN" mindset.

It's wrong.

We need to get the passing game back on track, pronto. The running game's returns are gonna continue to drop until we do. Teams aren't gonna respect the passing game at all if we can't do better in the air than we have against Washington and Arizona.

Coaches are responsible for the faith the team places in the backup QB as well as how they gameplan around the backup's weaknesses. If Romo's injuries continue and we ride Weeden to 8-8, the coaches deserve to be unemployed every bit as much as Weeden does.
Sure, ok. Not really my point with this discussion, but yeah, they can be doing more to coax out a respectable passing game. In fact that's kinda what I was saying.... the passing game is the biggest problem right now, not run vs. pass selection. We need to figure out how to beat a blitz through the air. Or if Weeden is the QB... how to get him the kind of passing attempts that he can actually complete (unfortunately, you don't have a ton of good options there one way or the other).

Smitty

DCC 4Life
:lol "on my side". what is that supposed to mean?
It means usually when teams stack the line, running gets harder, and there aren't many examples you can come up with that it gets easier.

Thought that was obvious... stop trolling for a minute and you'll be able to understand better.

...check this out. With a ton of history on my side, a 50% pass ratio for the sake of being 50%, with shitty results, won't back off the defense from selling out on the run.
No shit dude.

That's my fucking point.

Therefore biggest problem is the shitty results in the passing game right now. That's exactly what I fucking said.

Running the ball 70% of the time into 9 man fronts just to say you ran it, with no passing game to back it up, is going to get you exactly nowhere.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
No.... I wasn't talking about Garrett.

I was simply pointing out that the biggest problem with this offense isn't the number of runs being called, it's the success of the passing game, which is currently failing.

My point is more along the lines of, we all got way too caught up with this "WE NEED TO RUN 60% OF THE TIME AND NEVER RELY ON THE PASS AGAIN" mindset.

It's wrong.

We need to get the passing game back on track, pronto. The running game's returns are gonna continue to drop until we do. Teams aren't gonna respect the passing game at all if we can't do better in the air than we have against Washington and Arizona.

Sure, ok. Not really my point with this discussion, but yeah, they can be doing more to coax out a respectable passing game. In fact that's kinda what I was saying.... the passing game is the biggest problem right now, not run vs. pass selection. We need to figure out how to beat a blitz through the air. Or if Weeden is the QB... how to get him the kind of passing attempts that he can actually complete (unfortunately, you don't have a ton of good options there one way or the other).
Well, you keep responding to criticism of a coaching decision (number of running plays vs. passing plays) so it seems very much like you are defending the run/pass balance by putting the "blame" on Weeden. If that's not what you're doing, the point you're making is a non sequitur.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
:lol caught them slipping

data

Forbes #1
It means usually when teams stack the line, running gets harder, and there aren't many examples you can come up with that it gets easier.

Thought that was obvious... stop trolling for a minute and you'll be able to understand better.
I'm commenting on you using "on my side". Typical schmitty douchiness that gets you the backlash you get sometimes.

No shit dude.

That's my fucking point.

Therefore biggest problem is the shitty results in the passing game right now. That's exactly what I fucking said.

Running the ball 70% of the time into 9 man fronts just to say you ran it, with no passing game to back it up, is going to get you exactly nowhere.
I'm glad you see it my way, cuz you're obviously wrong if you don't.

data

Forbes #1
for the past 3 years, there's been an NFC East team to go on a season-2nd-half winning streak to win the division.

If that happens again this year, which team will it be?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well, you keep responding to criticism of a coaching decision (number of running plays vs. passing plays) so it seems very much like you are defending the run/pass balance by putting the "blame" on Weeden.
Maybe that's the way you are interpreting it because of your paranoia that Garrett might escape blame for anything bad that happens, but my original post on this subject was this one:

http://www.dallascowboyscentral.com/showthread.php?3848-Week-9-Gameday-Chatter-Cardinals-vs-Cowboys-11-02-2014&p=149878&viewfull=1#post149878

And my point in that post, to re-iterate it, was that we need to be less concerned right now with "how many runs we are attempting" and more concerned with getting the passing game back on track. Too many people think "Oh, just hand it to Murray 25 times = win."

No, I don't think so. The running game is getting less and less effective... because teams are focusing on it. For the offense to continue to be high level, we're gonna have to make teams pay through the air.

That doesn't mean going back to throwing 45 times and running 15, but it means we're gonna have to beat teams through the air more than we've been doing the past 2 weeks. That might require a few more passing attempts than running attempts along the lines, to get teams to realize we're not simply going to run it ignorantly into 9 man fronts over and over.

If that's not what you're doing, the point you're making is a non sequitur.
No, Geng said it was "wrong" (http://www.dallascowboyscentral.com/showthread.php?3848-Week-9-Gameday-Chatter-Cardinals-vs-Cowboys-11-02-2014&p=149930&viewfull=1#post149930) to say the problems in the passing game are the biggest issues. So we are debating that.

It's not a non-sequitur at all, it's a direct response.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm commenting on you using "on my side". Typical schmitty douchiness that gets you the backlash you get sometimes.

I'm glad you see it my way, cuz you're obviously wrong if you don't.
Actually, Geng was the first person on this subject to say I was "wrong" since I didn't see it his way.

As usual, I'm the only one who gets scolded for talking that way.

data

Forbes #1
2013 - Eagles started 3-5 and finished 7-1
2012 - Redskins started 3-5 and finished 7-1
2011 - Giants started 6-6 and finished 3-1

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Coughlin is still pissed he didn't get to challenge that other play, he had the flag out fast this time :lol

data

Forbes #1
This might be the Giants team I have hated the least in years...no more players to hate anymore. No Tiki Barber, Shockey, Brandon Jacobs, Martellus Bennett, Victor Cruz.

Last edited:

data

Forbes #1
as for making our passes more effective, I'd say to focus more on, well, Escobar. That's the whole point of investing in this 2-TE offense. Run-friendly formation, yet mismatches in the passing game.

After his 'breakthrough explosion' against the Giants, nothing the last two games. Maybe Escobar needs to steal some Brown Guilt cologne and he'll be paid more attention.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

No shit dude.

That's my fucking point.

Say fucking again... it will definitely drive your point home better.

data

Forbes #1
I have a feeling that playing Romo against the Jags is a bad idea

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Top Bottom