Week 5 Game Day Chatter | Packers at Cowboys | 10-08-2017

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe that’s all Marinelli. Why do we have guys who are playing off the WR 7-8 yards on a 3rd and 9? It defies fuckin logic.

What happened to the huge pass rush yesterday that got home a few times with Irving and company? All of sudden, it’s back to a 3 man rush and no pressure. On a crucial drive, a Late blitz off the edge-again- ala Heath in the playoff game.

Marinelli does not have these guys in positions to make plays period.
It's just so disjointed. The DBs coverage doesn't match what the guys up front are doing. I mean if our DBs know a blitz should get there right away, they should be jumping every short route or quick throw. 3rd and 10, I get blitzing with soft coverage. Force the quick throw and rally for the tackle. But instead we will combine soft coverage with a 3 man rush in those situations basically allowing a guy like Aaron Rogers to easily break the pocket and either get yards with his feet or find an open guy.

It's just time for a different system. Especially considering we can't seem to run the cover two Marinelli is best at (Cover 2 zone, and then he tries cover 3 which he has no fucking idea how to coach). So we might as well find someone who can coach a more aggressive, man cover two defense.

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
True although I bet if you put Jalen Ramsey in Dallas he is just average to above average. We just do such a poor job in the secondary. And we can't just keep claiming it's the pass rushes fault. It's just not. When I see 10 yards of cushion on a corner blitz where the WR is unchallenged for a 7 yard gain for a first down, that's not a pass rush issue. It's a coaching issue. And yes I saw that exact same thing happen yesterday with Brown in coverage.

Hell we are sixth in the NFL in sacks and we rarely if ever get a coverage sack or blitz.
I don't know if the problem lies in the coaching or the scouting. Maybe a little of both, but I think Ramsey would be just as good here. He's an elite player, the problem is that our brain trust doesn't know how what to look for in elite defensive backs.

Dating back to Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, our front office has had this hard-on for drafting these project DB's. He's a cornerback who can also play safety, a safety who can also play cornerback, a punter who played DB once in high school, blah blah blah. It's the same fucking shit every draft. Our secondary is filled with jack of all trades, master of none type of guys. Byron Jones is another and Awuzie seems to be following on that prestigious path, although admittedly it's still too early to write him off.

I think athleticism and alleged "versatility" has been emphasized over coverage/ball skills for a long time by our front office. I don't know who to fault for that - Jerry/Stephen/McClay/Marinelli/Garrett/all of the above? That seems to have shifted a bit the last couple of years with guys like Anthony Brown and Jourdan Lewis stepping into prominent roles, but we'll see.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I don't know if the problem lies in the coaching or the scouting. Maybe a little of both, but I think Ramsey would be just as good here. He's an elite player, the problem is that our brain trust doesn't know how what to look for in elite defensive backs.

Dating back to Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, our front office has had this hard-on for drafting these project DB's. He's a cornerback who can also play safety, a safety who can also play cornerback, a punter who played DB once in high school, blah blah blah. It's the same fucking shit every draft. Our secondary is filled with jack of all trades, master of none type of guys. Byron Jones is another and Awuzie seems to be following on that prestigious path, although admittedly it's still too early to write him off.

I think athleticism and alleged "versatility" has been emphasized over coverage/ball skills for a long time by our front office. I don't know who to fault for that - Jerry/Stephen/McClay/Marinelli/Garrett/all of the above? That seems to have shifted a bit the last couple of years with guys like Anthony Brown and Jourdan Lewis stepping into prominent roles, but we'll see.
It seems to me if Jones and company are set on drafting workout warriors then it would make sense to get a defensive coach that knows how to use their abilities. As far as I know, Marinelli didn’t have a lot of pure athletes when he ran his most successful defenses. He had smart instinctive hard nosed football players. I think you take players from the early 90’s Dallas teams and you probably get a tough D under Marinelli.

He doesn’t have that in Dallas outside of Lee. There’s not the big power DT, not the big instinctive LBer Corp and definitely no good safety play.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
but I think Ramsey would be just as good here. He's an elite player, the problem is that our brain trust doesn't know how what to look for in elite defensive backs.
He would have every instinct coached out of him just like every other DB that has come through here.

Marinelli's scheme is not a CB friendly device. There is a reason why guys that suck here are fine elsewhere.

Catering to him and this scheme is a loser's plan.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Trubisky is looking good after his first two passes.

It seems to me if Jones and company are set on drafting workout warriors then it would make sense to get a defensive coach that knows how to use their abilities. As far as I know, Marinelli didn’t have a lot of pure athletes when he ran his most successful defenses. He had smart instinctive hard nosed football players. I think you take players from the early 90’s Dallas teams and you probably get a tough D under Marinelli.

He doesn’t have that in Dallas outside of Lee. There’s not the big power DT, not the big instinctive LBer Corp and definitely no good safety play.
I want the whole coaching staff gone.... but too be fair, Marinelli has never had anything to work with in Dallas with like you said Lee as the only exception. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with that he doesn't trust his players right now and plays a more conservative type defense.

data

Forbes #1
Sam Bradford...WTF was he holding the ball so long for.

Safety.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Damn, Leonard Floyd just turned on the jets to record that safety after being blocked out of the play.

Serious jets.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sam Bradford...WTF was he holding the ball so long for.

Safety.
People were jumping on Bradford's jock after the week one game. Why I have no idea. It was the damn Saints.

That is like lauding a guy for lighting it up against our defense.

data

Forbes #1
At his current pace of success, if and when Garrett is let go by the Cowboys, you think anyone hires him to be head coach?

...and, yes, I'm making a HUUUUGE assumption that there isn't a process and we're the light bulb's gonna suddenly come on and we'll go to Super Bowls. Plural.

data

Forbes #1
While the Packers have been a dangerous offensive team, their division has essentially sucked the last 15 years.

The Vikings and Bears have fielded bad 1980s Nintendo video-game comically lopsided teams - 90% defense and 10% offense.

Last edited:

data

Forbes #1
No joke. Leonard Floyd is like Lawrence Taylor fast when unabated to the QB.

data

Forbes #1
star wars trailer debut at halftime.

Storm troopers marching onto Solider Field. That's ghey.

Top Bottom