Week 5 Game Day Chatter | Packers at Cowboys | 10-08-2017

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
No to McDaniels. The Garrett experience has really soured me on any of these offensive whiz kid geeks who were failed or wannabe QB's in their "playing days" and now try to live vicariously through the QB's they coach by throwing it 40 times a game.

McDaniels might very well turn out the way Simpleton said, but I'd rather not waste five years of on the job training here to find out. We need someone in here that is going to get this defense in shape.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I would prefer not to hire a coach based on their coordinator prowess.

You should believe they are gonna be a great head coach.

Get a coordinator to fix the defense.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yeah but a defensive coordinator generally understands the important of a balanced attack and controlling the game. We definitely need a whiz kid defensive coordinator but that's not the only reason I'd look for a head coach with defensive experience.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm not against a defensive minded head coach. Just saying that's not high on my prerequisites.

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
I don't know what, based on his history, would possess anyone to think McDaniels has any hope of being a great head coach.

Only thing he really has going for him is learning under Belichick, but that hasn't exactly been a harbinger of success for other ex-Patriots assistants.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

I agree with that. The qualities that make a great coordinator versus a great HC aren't necessarily the same.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I didn't realize Awuzie went out against the Packers early in the second half. I'm sure that didn't help the pass defense.

God, these guys have got to get fucking healthy on defense.

When Lee, Awuzie and Carroll (hopefully in a 5th DB role) are all healthy, maybe this defense can have a chance of covering someone.

I think it's clear that letting Carr go is hurting them. Yeah, the guy never made a play to save his life, but he was reliable and was not terrible. Having him out there right now could mean a big difference, rather than Carroll who sucks and is not even on the field since he's hurt. If he didn't want to come back for less money, that is one thing, but if we didn't even try to retain him because we preferred Carroll, that's a mistake.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This would never happen in a million years but why not Toub from Kansas City?

He's only ever been a ST's coach but the same went for Harbaugh before he went to Baltimore. He's clearly the best ST coach in the league and usually ST's coaches lean more towards being defensive-minded/pragmatic when it comes to the offensive side of the ball.

Like I said, will never happen but it's something to discuss.

GShock

DCC 4Life
This would never happen in a million years but why not Toub from Kansas City?

He's only ever been a ST's coach but the same went for Harbaugh before he went to Baltimore. He's clearly the best ST coach in the league and usually ST's coaches lean more towards being defensive-minded/pragmatic when it comes to the offensive side of the ball.

Like I said, will never happen but it's something to discuss.
Prior interviews with the Bears (Trestman), Miami (Gase), Chargers (Lynn), and Broncos (Joseph). Curious as to what his approach to being a HC would be.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I think it's clear that letting Carr go is hurting them. Yeah, the guy never made a play to save his life, but he was reliable and was not terrible. Having him out there right now could mean a big difference, rather than Carroll who sucks and is not even on the field since he's hurt. If he didn't want to come back for less money, that is one thing, but if we didn't even try to retain him because we preferred Carroll, that's a mistake.
Yup.

Carr was the guy I most wanted to keep.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Barry church had a pick six.
And Brandon Carr has 2 picks, Claiborne has 1, and Wilcox has 1. That's 5 picks between 4 DBs who played in Dallas last year.

Funny how all these guys with no ball skills suddenly find a way to get a few picks when they play somewhere else.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
And Brandon Carr has 2 picks, Claiborne has 1, and Wilcox has 1. That's 5 picks between 4 DBs who played in Dallas last year.

Funny how all these guys with no ball skills suddenly find a way to get a few picks when they play somewhere else.
It's a process. We simply gave up on the process a year too early.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It's a process. We simply gave up on the process a year too early.
Don't get me wrong, Church and Wilcox were average to below average players, Caliborne was a bust who couldn't stay healthy, and Carr was solid if not spectacular, so I'm not advocating that these guys were all really good players or anything like that.

But it does further prove how much we lack in the coaching department. Just putting a guy in the right place makes a big difference and that is something our staff can't seem to do very well.

Last edited:

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
Church playing behind two elite cover corners probably doesn't hurt.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Don't get me wrong, Church and Wilcox were average to below average players, Caliborne was a bust who couldn't stay healthy, and Carr was solid if not spectacular, so I'm not advocating that these guys were all really good players or anything like that.

But it doe further prove how much we lack in the coaching department. Just putting a guy in the right place makes a big difference and that is something our staff can't seem to do very well.
This coaching staff definitely fails in that department.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Church playing behind two elite cover corners probably doesn't hurt.
True although I bet if you put Jalen Ramsey in Dallas he is just average to above average. We just do such a poor job in the secondary. And we can't just keep claiming it's the pass rushes fault. It's just not. When I see 10 yards of cushion on a corner blitz where the WR is unchallenged for a 7 yard gain for a first down, that's not a pass rush issue. It's a coaching issue. And yes I saw that exact same thing happen yesterday with Brown in coverage.

Hell we are sixth in the NFL in sacks and we rarely if ever get a coverage sack or blitz.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Extend your FUCKING ARMS!
I have pointed this out about Williams ever since he has been on the squad. He is not a good receiver. He can’t get separation. He doesn’t know when to break off a route. He doesn’t catch the ball with his hands and he waits for the ball to come to him. I never understood how he made the team.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
True although I bet if you put Jalen Ramsey in Dallas he is just average to above average. We just do such a poor job in the secondary. And we can't just keep claiming it's the pass rushes fault. It's just not. When I see 10 yards of cushion on a corner blitz where the WR is unchallenged for a 7 yard gain for a first down, that's not a pass rush issue. It's a coaching issue. And yes I saw that exact same thing happen yesterday with Brown in coverage.

Hell we are sixth in the NFL in sacks and we rarely if ever get a coverage sack or blitz.
I believe that’s all Marinelli. Why do we have guys who are playing off the WR 7-8 yards on a 3rd and 9? It defies fuckin logic.

What happened to the huge pass rush yesterday that got home a few times with Irving and company? All of sudden, it’s back to a 3 man rush and no pressure. On a crucial drive, a Late blitz off the edge-again- ala Heath in the playoff game.

Marinelli does not have these guys in positions to make plays period.

Top Bottom