Week 5 Game Day Chatter | Packers at Cowboys | 10-08-2017

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
At his current pace of success, if and when Garrett is let go by the Cowboys, you think anyone hires him to be head coach?
I will answer this as honestly as I can.

Garrett didn't impress as an OC and he has done nothing to make people believe he'd make a good HC.

If he was fired today, would he be on someone's staff next season? Probably....but in the form of a QB coach or something like that.

Best case scenario, he'd be given an OC job but I think that is highly unlikely.

His best bet would be to go to the college ranks were the expectations aren't anywhere near as high, and he'd have a shot with a middle of the road school like Wake Forest, Indiana, Washington State, etc.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
The *only* way Garrett would be hired as a HC is if another micromanaging owner wanted a spineless coach who would always be obedient and never give him any back talk.

I'm sure he'd have many more years as an assistant, though. He is a great politician and ass kisser, after all. There's a reason he has a huge smile for opposing coaches even after the biggest soul-crushing defeats.

midswat

... soon
I think he might get interviews. And if he got interviews, he might get hired. I base this solely on his ability to sell himself and sound the part. I actually think Jason is a decent coach, until it’s game day.

On game day he’s a liability.

Also he relies on a somewhat expired offensive system.

midswat

... soon
The *only* way Garrett would be hired as a HC is if another micromanaging owner wanted a spineless coach who would always be obedient and never give him any back talk.

I'm sure he'd have many more years as an assistant, though. He is a great politician and ass kisser, after all. There's a reason he has a huge smile for opposing coaches even after the biggest soul-crushing defeats.
I actually don’t think he’d do well as an assistant. His system is stale and he has no feel for the game most of the time. Maybe a QB coach?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I hope that I can outlast both Jerry and Jason. That is my goal.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Garrett didn't impress as an OC and he has done nothing to make people believe he'd make a good HC.

If he was fired today, would he be on someone's staff next season? Probably....but in the form of a QB coach or something like that.

Best case scenario, he'd be given an OC job but I think that is highly unlikely.

His best bet would be to go to the college ranks were the expectations aren't anywhere near as high, and he'd have a shot with a middle of the road school like Wake Forest, Indiana, Washington State, etc.
If he and Linehan were both up for consideration of an OC gig, who do you think would be chosen?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
If he and Linehan were both up for consideration of an OC gig, who do you think would be chosen?
Linehan, easily.

He at least has a history of being a relatively successful OC and unlike Garrett, he didn't receive this overnight leap in status due to an NFL owner knowing his family.

Linehan at least worked his way through the ranks.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Linehan, easily.

He at least has a history of being a relatively successful OC and unlike Garrett, he didn't receive this overnight leap in status due to an NFL owner knowing his family.

Linehan at least worked his way through the ranks.
He would lose out even in a demotion scenario.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

I'd be shocked if Garrett didn't end up with another coordinator job, and not surprised if he got another HC shot.

This isn't a commentary on whether he deserves it or not (though he's a better head coach than more than a few in this league). More about that the league is a good old boys network where even losers get multiple chances.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'd be shocked if Garrett didn't end up with another coordinator job, and not surprised if he got another HC shot.

This isn't a commentary on whether he deserves it or not (though he's a better head coach than more than a few in this league). More about that the league is a good old boys network where even losers get multiple chances.
Yea, but he has no history with anyone and didn't really pay his dues.

Yes, other coaches who aren't so great get 2nd chances, but almost all of them came up in the ranks with multiple teams and have established connections around the league.

Garrett never did that. He was barely at Miami for a spell when Jerry wanted him so badly that he forced him on Wade as the OC -- a position he wasn't qualified for.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yea, but he has no history with anyone and didn't really pay his dues.

Yes, other coaches who aren't so great get 2nd chances, but almost all of them came up in the ranks with multiple teams and have established connections around the league.

Garrett never did that. He was barely at Miami for a spell when Jerry wanted him so badly that he forced him on Wade as the OC -- a position he wasn't qualified for.
He has a history now. 7 years and counting as a head coach.

Someone will want him for something.

p1_

DCC 4Life
He has a history now. 7 years and counting as a head coach.

Someone will want him for something.
yes, prior to 2016, a dead on .500 coach who had no postseason skins. And for all the 2016 success, no playoff victories, one and done in postseason. Impressive.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
yes, prior to 2016, a dead on .500 coach who had no postseason skins. And for all the 2016 success, no playoff victories, one and done in postseason. Impressive.
Where in anything I just posted did you get the impression that I was lauding his record as impressive? Or were you just taking the opportunity to virtue signal your requisite amount of Garrett disgust?

midswat

... soon
Should be a good game tonight. Two 4-1 teams head to head.

Panthers should win hopefully.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Where in anything I just posted did you get the impression that I was lauding his record as impressive? Or were you just taking the opportunity to virtue signal your requisite amount of Garrett disgust?
the latter. Not a shot at you.

Top Bottom