The Tyron Smith Injury Watch Thread...

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think that's a big deal. Even if a rookie comes in and plays LT right away, he'll have had OTAs, mini camp, training camp and preseason games to learn the position as a pro against pro competition.

Tyler will have none of that.
McCarthy said he's taken more snaps at LT than LG over the off-season as a whole, which may be BS but I tend to believe it because early in camp he kind of lamented having played him at LT too much over the off-season, which presumably slowed down his growth at LG.

He's played 2+ years of LT in college, plus more reps pre-TC, plus presumably all the reps moving forward. I think that's enough in the grand scheme.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Imagine that. Our future GM basically telling everyone to suck a dick, he’s GOT it all figured out.
Just makes it easier for me, no self induced pressure to sit and watch this shitshow on Sundays.
Of the options available at this point, Smith may well be a possibility, though I would move Zack Martin over to LT if it were up to me. Especially now that they have time to practice without real games.

But it is lazy as fuck to sit there and claim the depth at the position is anything close to sound.

Hell, it wasn’t sound even with Tyron healthy.

This isn’t about looking smart or avoiding progress-stoppers, it’s about keeping your QB upright and laying the foundation for your entire offense.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Of the options available at this point, Smith may well be a possibility, though I would move Zack Martin over to LT if it were up to me. Especially now that they have time to practice without real games.

But it is lazy as fuck to sit there and claim the depth at the position is anything close to sound.

This isn’t about looking smart or avoiding progress-stoppers, it’s about keeping your QB upright and laying the foundation for your entire offense.
Martin to LT, Smith LG, McGovern/Farniok RG, Steele RT

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This is probably true although for what it's worth McCarthy said a few days ago (pre-Tyron injury) that McGovern would've been the starter if we had to play a game that day.

So maybe the guy has finally figured out how to play on the left side?

It makes no sense why he would be so solid at RG but have no clue at LG, so hopefully the off-season full of work got him there.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Absolutely correct.

They wrapped him in bubble wrap all preseason but they want to give him junior varsity protection for the year. Pretty dumb.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
It makes no sense why he would be so solid at RG but have no clue at LG, so hopefully the off-season full of work got him there.
I still suspect maybe he's just not that football bright and it took him more reps than most to get the steps, etc. down on the left side.

Gawd I hope Mongo doesn't read this board.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I actually think Wally may have a future at LT he just needs to get stronger. He can be pushed back a bit in pass pro. Otherwise I don't actually think he looks too bad. Of course I haven't seen him against a real NFL starting RE either.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I still suspect maybe he's just not that football bright and it took him more reps than most to get the steps, etc. down on the left side.

Gawd I hope Mongo doesn't read this board.
It's not that easy for some to flop sides. It's like teaching a person who writes with their right hand to do it with their left. And never really letting the dude play just LG has probably been part of the problem. We always want to cross train the dude at 4 different spots.

Last edited:

p1_

DCC 4Life
It's not that easy for some to flop sides. It's like teaching a person who rights with their right hand to do it with their left. And never really letting the dude play just LG has probably been part of the problem. We always want to cross train the dude at 4 different spots.
You 'write' with your right or left hand.

Top Bottom