The Running Back position will doom us or not thread...

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This discussion has degenerated.

C-rock, hope you are right about Randle.

I'm praying for a McFadden resurgence.

I think we are both going to be disappointed.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
In no reality is Randle a lead NFL back. No way can he take 250-300 carries, 50+ receptions, and 300 pass blocks in this league.

It's unfair to ask that of him.

It just is.
Why? He did that his last year in college with no problem. The next step is doing it in the NFL.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This discussion has degenerated.

C-rock, hope you are right about Randle.
Shit, I don't really know how Randle will handle 250 carries at the NFL level any more then you guys know he will fail. I just get annoyed with all the talk like the guy can't play at all.

McFadden I seriously doubt does shit. I hope he plays like it's 2010 again but that was 5 years ago.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Ben Tate is a perfect example of how important the O-line is to the running game. He looked like an absolute stud in Houston where they know how to run block. The Browns signed him and suddenly he is a 3.1 ypc back.

Ben Tate was never that good of a RB but when you put him behind the right O-line he looks like a world beater.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I think Randle was a perfect #2 to a guy like Murray.

What I see missing from Randle is that physical presence to plow thru tired defenders like Murray did.

I'm with Booze...I am not as down on the guy, but I don't think Randle has the skills to be a Murray-type back over the course of the season. I think Jones and Co really screwed the pooch on that decision.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think Ben Tate is a perfect example of how important the O-line is to the running game. He looked like an absolute stud in Houston where they know how to run block. The Browns signed him and suddenly he is a 3.1 ypc back.

Ben Tate was never that good of a RB but when you put him behind the right O-line he looks like a world beater.
Tate looked like shit because he was a second tier back that came in and benefitted from what Foster set up.

You know, kind of like what Randle did last year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Randle just hasn't had the consistent production for me to be confident that he can suddenly be a successful 15 or 20 carry a game guy.

He averaged 4 carries per game his rookie year, and 3.5 last year. He's had only 3 games of 10+ carries, and i think averaged 2.5 p ypc in those games. He's statistically poor against 8 man fronts.

The league has been littered with backup RBs that have had some nice runs here and there. Being a main guy is a different thing.

I liked Randle in the draft. But I just don't think he's any more than a backup.
The one game anyone should look at to evaluate Randle is the Eagles game in Philly in 2013.

That was the game where he was the guy, he was it.

He laid a fricking egg.

Is there some reason why? Was he hurt? What was the excuse for what looked about like Adrian Murrell running for Parcells?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Shit, I don't really know how Randle will handle 250 carries at the NFL level any more then you guys know he will fail. I just get annoyed with all the talk like the guy can't play at all.

McFadden I seriously doubt does shit. I hope he plays like it's 2010 again but that was 5 years ago.
The whole issue is this...we need to be a running team.

That means a back that can establish tempo and take charge.

Randle might be okay here and there, but he's not going to be the man. Nor is chicken leg McFadden.

If you are going to be a tough team that is basically telling you they are going to run the ball down your throat, you better have something else than a couple of finesse backs to march out there.

If not, then you better have upper level elusive talent.

We have neither.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I don't think it's the RB that establishes that. I think its the freakishly talented offensive line.
The Oline has the talent, there's simply no denying that. But it seems that a lot of folks are discrediting the role Murray played on this offense just because he left for more money.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The Oline has the talent, there's simply no denying that. But it seems that a lot of folks are discrediting the role Murray played on this offense just because he left for more money.
There is a lot, I mean a LOT, of denial about Murray's role last year.

I mean good lord, 1800 plus yards...it was all the OL?

That is just pure arrogance. And judging by what we did to compensate for his loss, the team thinks just like the fans.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I don't think people are putting it all on the OLine. I just think most people aren't subscribing to your proclamation that Joseph Randle is a complete steaming pile of dog shit.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
There is a lot, I mean a LOT, of denial about Murray's role last year.

I mean good lord, 1800 plus yards...it was all the OL?

That is just pure arrogance. And judging by what we did to compensate for his loss, the team thinks just like the fans.
And then Jerry's gonna look like a damn genius when Ryan Williams goes for 1500 and 10 TDs.

Someone will likely shake loose once cuts are made, so I'm hopeful someone half decent will be brought in.

Would just like to see a little more conviction to putting together a strong running game. The OLine, dare I say, is set. Still can't believe I'm saying that. A good RB would be the final piece to an excellent young offense built to allow a 1st round QB to hold the clipboard for a year behind Romo.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I don't think people are putting it all on the OLine. I just think most people aren't subscribing to your proclamation that Joseph Randle is a complete steaming pile of dog shit.
While he may not be a steaming pile of dog shit, it would be nice to actively pursue a RB who you know is a guy who can handle the workload.

Instead we get McFadden, who's pretty much a fragile Dunbar.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You know, kind of like what Randle did last year.
:lol

24 carries, 116 yards
23 carries, 101 yards
19 carries, 82 yards

All games that Arian Foster didn't play at all in back in 2011. But sure, those were because Foster "set him up" :picard

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
While he may not be a steaming pile of dog shit, it would be nice to actively pursue a RB who you know is a guy who can handle the workload.

Instead we get McFadden, who's pretty much a fragile Dunbar.
Nobody here knows if Randle can handle that workload or not. Although we sure have some throwing that guarantee out there. And even if we did bring in somebody like Ajayi or another vet, we weren't going to see somebody get as many carries as Murray did last year. I'd assume the plan is to split 20 whatever carries a game between 2-3 guys. It's not such a stretch of the imagination that Randle could handle 12-15 of those. He certainly did that and more in college.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Saying that an average back can get 1200 yards behind this line is by no means a knock on Murray. What Murray did last year was something no back has ever done in Dallas. No reason to discredit that. But just because I think another back can be successful behind this line is by no means a "knock" on Murray.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Nobody here knows if Randle can handle that workload or not. Although we sure have some throwing that guarantee out there. And even if we did bring in somebody like Ajayi or another vet, we weren't going to see somebody get as many carries as Murray did last year. I'd assume the plan is to split 20 whatever carries a game between 2-3 guys. It's not such a stretch of the imagination that Randle could handle 12-15 of those. He certainly did that and more in college.
Randle might be able to do it, but if you really want to set Romo up for success why wouldn't you find someone who can lead the offense the way Murray did last year?
I like the way the offense played last year. Linehan was not afraid to run the ball at any point. They took the game out of Romo's hands, something that we've wanted done for a long time. It enabled Romo to make big plays, and he had one of his best years.

With the hodge podge we have at RB now, I fear we're gonna see old Romo...the guy who tries to do too much and ends up costing us in the big games. If we make it to the big games.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Randle might be able to do it, but if you really want to set Romo up for success why wouldn't you find someone who can lead the offense the way Murray did last year?
Short of trading up in the first round for either Gurley or Gordon, who do you suggest we should have grabbed? And don't give me Ajayi. Dallas and everyone else in the league obviously downgraded for some reason or another. Would you have passed up on Gregory in the 2nd to take somebody? Was there someone at the end of the 3rd that you think could have carried the load for us this year?

Top Bottom