The Running Back position will doom us or not thread...

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Short of trading up in the first round for either Gurley or Gordon, who do you suggest we should have grabbed? And don't give me Ajayi. Dallas and everyone else in the league obviously downgraded for some reason or another. Would you have passed up on Gregory in the 2nd to take somebody? Was there someone at the end of the 3rd that you think could have carried the load for us this year?
I've watched Yeldon a good bit, and thought he would have been an option if we could have traded down. Was really surprised how early he went though.

Not going to pretend that I know much at all about the RB prospects in the draft, but I understand that it was a deep draft for the position.

The fact that we came out of it without one doesn't mean that it's ok to rely on a guy who steals underwear and cologne testers.

And I don't care what the other teams did, Ajayi would have been worth a 4th round gamble.

Shit, I don't really know how Randle will handle 250 carries at the NFL level any more then you guys know he will fail. I just get annoyed with all the talk like the guy can't play at all.

McFadden I seriously doubt does shit. I hope he plays like it's 2010 again but that was 5 years ago.
I'm more excited to see what Ryan Williams can do, I think he can beat both of them out if he can stay healthy!

shane

DCC 4Life
This discussion has degenerated.

C-rock, hope you are right about Randle.

I'm praying for a McFadden resurgence.

I think we are both going to be disappointed.
I'm not optimistic seeing what we have at the RB position, but I don't think there is any reason for doom and gloom. Even if we have to pass more, Romo will have a lot of time to work and many weapons. The defense also should be much improved so it won't need the running game as much to keep them off the field. I think the Giants are the only team with the talent to challenge us in the division.

Short of trading up in the first round for either Gurley or Gordon, who do you suggest we should have grabbed? And don't give me Ajayi. Dallas and everyone else in the league obviously downgraded for some reason or another. Would you have passed up on Gregory in the 2nd to take somebody? Was there someone at the end of the 3rd that you think could have carried the load for us this year?
I don't think taking Ajayi in the 4th would have been a reach at all. It would have been the perfect fit, especially if they took one of the solid DTs on the board in the 3rd. We'd be sitting pretty if Jones hadn't fucked those two picks up right now.

Last edited:

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Yep. The RB position needs a complete overhaul.

An elite starter
A backup with some defining skill that helps him play at an elite level for short stretches.
A scat back to provide a threat out of the backfield as well as a dangerous change of pace.
A bruising fullback who can carry and catch the ball

That's what you strive for, especially the way this team is built.

If you have the above I guarantee this team plays well into January for years and years regardless of the QB.
Pretty bold statement. That is assuming the OL totally dominates (legit possibility) but also that the D is a major strength. If you have a 'regardless of the QB' situation you better have a badass D that creates turnovers/points because otherwise the QB can be the reason you never get over the top. Deep into January is nice but you're looking for the February game.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
General question to anyone who cares to answer it. Make it a fill-in-the-blank. If you do not feel comfortable with Dallas going forward with their current crop of RBs, it would make you feel better if they gave up a _________ round pick to acquire ____________. Or do you think it is pointless because there is no realistic scenario that will make enough of a difference to be worth it?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
What would I want?

A 4th for Peterson.

I do think they are set with what they have so I think we are just spinning our wheels.

hstour

Brand New Member
There was no taking anything out of context. I'm curious as to how being a bell cow back means you're an all time leader in rushing? The league has seen many bell cow backs. Hundreds of them. All a bell cow back is, is one that can carry the load as the lead back and be dependable and productive. To compare the two is retarded. Why you thought to bring up Brown, Payton, and Smith in comparison is beyond me.
Don't just look at the top of leading rusher list, look at the 25 or top 50:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rush_yds_career.htm

They all fit the mold of the "bell cow" back (especially look at the those in bold that are currently playing). And that's of how many RBs over the history of the league?

hstour

Brand New Member
:lol

I can see this is not even worth debating.

Romo > Brady, right?

With like, stats and stuff.

Who gives a shit about stats? Aikman was not impressive with any "QB related statistic". Yet All-Timer.
So I'll ask you this, would Marino have won a championship in place of Staubach? Would the Pats have still won at least one of their championships with Romo in place of Brady? Romo in place of Aikman?

You can never "know" on a hypothetical like that, but I'd say that the chance it better than 50/50. Because, as I said, are team achievements not the achievement of an individual.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Don't just look at the top of leading rusher list, look at the 25 or top 50:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rush_yds_career.htm

They all fit the mold of the "bell cow" back (especially look at the those in bold that are currently playing). And that's of how many RBs over the history of the league?
:lol

Of course I looked at the top. Because those are the ones you mentioned. And yeah, I would sure hope that the "top 25 or 50" would fit the definition of a 'bellcow' back.

Look, maybe you can understand it this way. Marion Barber was a 'bellcow' back during his time here. Felix Jones was not. Demarco Murray was a 'bellcow' back, at least last year if not before. None of these guys are on the list of all time leading rushers.

All 'bellcow' is, is a term for a lead back that can carry the load without much help. Why you decided to inject the all time leading rushers into the definition is beyond me. Or even your attempt at broadening the scope with adding the 'top 25 or 50' when called on it.

hstour

Brand New Member
It just ignores the fact that Romo had his best year because of the running game. Murray didn't threaten 2,000 yards because Romo had "his year".

Romo did his usual stuff. Except he did not feel the pressure every single down to make a play. It helped him immensely. I don't see how this is a debatable point.

Jones is implying in his usual style that Romo is the heat and since he is there taking the snap, the run game will prosper.

It is the other way around.
While I don't totally disagree with you, I don't think it is a cut and dried as you make it out to be. In the stats that most impact the win/loss numbers TD/INT Romo was:

2014 - 34/9
2013 - 31/10
2012 - 28/19
2011 - 31/10

That is fairly consistent even in the 8-8 years where he didn't have an 1800+ yard rusher. Maybe the rushing was more impactful on wins and not Romo's production.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Randle could have a solid career as a backup, but with McFadden likely to falter it will put too much pressure on him this season, and ultimately Romo.
Randle could have a solid career as a starter. There is no real evidence yet to say otherwise. If not him, then I think Williams could as well. If not one of those two I'm looking at trade options. There are a ton of RBs that would look like good starters behind this offensive line. It's not as difficult as some people make it seem.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
General question to anyone who cares to answer it. Make it a fill-in-the-blank. If you do not feel comfortable with Dallas going forward with their current crop of RBs, it would make you feel better if they gave up a _________ round pick to acquire ____________. Or do you think it is pointless because there is no realistic scenario that will make enough of a difference to be worth it?
I've been on record for a while now that I would give a 4th for Peterson, so that's no surprise.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Another Randle argument. :words

Carp

DCC 4Life
I liked David Cobb and David Johnson quite a bit, but after they went in the draft I was fine with Randle. McFadden is whatever he is, but I can see a real big season for Randle. Ideally, we can use the Patriots as a model where you can plug about any RB in and have success.

Jiggyfly

Banned
The one game anyone should look at to evaluate Randle is the Eagles game in Philly in 2013.

That was the game where he was the guy, he was it.

He laid a fricking egg.

Is there some reason why? Was he hurt? What was the excuse for what looked about like Adrian Murrell running for Parcells?
Murray laid a egg in this last years eagles, maybe the eagles just scheme us well.

Really that was a lame example to use.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Ideally, we can use the Patriots as a model where you can plug about any RB in and have success.
New England spent 2nd and 3rd round picks on the backs who started the year for them, so that's hardly just anyone.

The "any" RB illusion came when the backup Gray busted for over 200 yards on the Colts who we all know were one of the NFL's worst rushing defenses. Notice the kid contributed sporadically outside of that game.

Ridley was their best RB and was cut for off-field reasons. Vereen is also very solid. They got a break when they landed Blount off the fricking waiver wire.

Short of a McFadden pulling a Charles White, Dallas doesn't have backs at Vereen and Blount's level right now.

Given the identity running behind a premier back gave the whole team, this still blows my mind.

Carp

DCC 4Life
New England spent 2nd and 3rd round picks on the backs who started the year for them, so that's hardly just anyone.

The "any" RB illusion came when the backup Gray busted for over 200 yards on the Colts who we all know were one of the NFL's worst rushing defenses. Notice the kid contributed sporadically outside of that game.

Ridley was their best RB and was cut for off-field reasons. Vereen is also very solid. They got a break when they landed Blount off the fricking waiver wire.

Short of a McFadden pulling a Charles White, Dallas doesn't have backs at Vereen and Blount's level right now.

Given the identity running behind a premier back gave the whole team, this still blows my mind.
Gray was their leading rusher and Blount was their guy down the stretch...so like I said, interchangeable backs like they used.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Gray was their leading rusher and Blount was their guy down the stretch...so like I said, interchangeable backs like they used.
Bottom line though is they still spent 2nd and 3rd round picks on those backs. Outside of Gray, they were interchangeable... and good.

Gray was a Timmy Smith-like fluke, so I mostly ignore his numbers.

So to get that interchangeability, Dallas must invest in their RB's, not draft in the 5th round or sign has-been free agents as their #1 guy.

Steelers, Pats, Chargers... these teams get it. Draft them early, draft them often.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Bottom line though is they still spent 2nd and 3rd round picks on those backs. Outside of Gray, they were interchangeable... and good.

Gray was a Timmy Smith-like fluke, so I mostly ignore his numbers.

So to get that interchangeability, Dallas must invest in their RB's, not draft in the 5th round or sign has-been free agents as their #1 guy.

Steelers, Pats, Chargers... these teams get it. Draft them early, draft them often.
This was making sense until I got to the last line. Draft running backs early and often? F that.

Top Bottom