The Running Back position will doom us or not thread...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Ok, so now I know to just ignore your opinion on RBs. Felix was a bust in every sense of the word.
My God, are you kidding me? Back when he had an NFL record YPC stat, people were thinking he was the shit.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
:lol

You make it sound so easy. You'd think every team would want this.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And this random comment means what exactly?
You pretend like the blocking has to be flawless on every play for a RB like Randle to be successful. My point is that it doesn't matter if it's not flawless on every play because even shitty RBs manage to make guys miss and break tackles.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep. The RB position needs a complete overhaul.

An elite starter
A backup with some defining skill that helps him play at an elite level for short stretches.
A scat back to provide a threat out of the backfield as well as a dangerous change of pace.
A bruising fullback who can carry and catch the ball

That's what you strive for, especially the way this team is built.

If you have the above I guarantee this team plays well into January for years and years regardless of the QB.
:picard

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
:lol

You make it sound so easy. You'd think every team would want this.
Not all of them do.

Teams that don't have a running identity don't care.

I think a team that values the run game, legitimately, would not go through an entire draft and free agency and do zilch.

Hell, Jerry Jones just said this:
"So if Romo can have the kind of year that he had last year, then our running game will benefit from that.”
Romo's best year just happened to occur when we finally took the run seriously.

But hey, Romo set it all up. :dunce

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Where in that quote did you see that Jerry said Romo set it all up? Are you saying that the running game won't benefit if Romo has a good year?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Ok, so now I know to just ignore your opinion on RBs. Felix was a bust in every sense of the word.
Agreed he was a bust, but he was a talented one. Felix averaged no fewer than 4.3 YPC his first four seasons. But the NFL pounded his edge flat very quickly through exposure.

John Randle entered the league with far weaker pedigree, is tasked with a similar role, and faces the same challenge as Felix minus the expectations or the edge.

But he has an OL and passing game to counter his lack of talent.

If he gets his 1200-1400 yards like you seem to believe he will, he will have blown all expectations away and will have greatly surprised me.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Where in that quote did you see that Jerry said Romo set it all up? Are you saying that the running game won't benefit if Romo has a good

year?
It just ignores the fact that Romo had his best year because of the running game. Murray didn't threaten 2,000 yards because Romo had "his year".

Romo did his usual stuff. Except he did not feel the pressure every single down to make a play. It helped him immensely. I don't see how this is a debatable point.

Jones is implying in his usual style that Romo is the heat and since he is there taking the snap, the run game will prosper.

It is the other way around.

townsend

Banned
It's tough to come close to comparing Brady to Romo. Who knows that in any other team Romo would have started. But I'd have a hard time believing he couldn't at least have a couple SB appearances with a team Belichick is coaching.
The guy's gonna own every franchise record, has the most 4th quarter wins, and yeah his stats are stellar. He doesn't have the playoff resume Brady does, and maybe he never could. But I don't think any QB ever could be more successful than Romo in his circumstances.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You pretend like the blocking has to be flawless on every play for a RB like Randle to be successful. My point is that it doesn't matter if it's not flawless on every play because even shitty RBs manage to make guys miss and break tackles.
Average RB's get their fair share, like you say, and an excellent OL and balanced offense can boost that number.

But without a strong RB they can't consistently manufacture a running game when you need it most, especially when teams with good defenses know you are going to run. Those are the key situations that get buried by stats.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That is not what I was saying at all.

I was referring to this idiotic notion that our OL is so kick ass it blows open holes each and every down allowing any shithead to fall forward for five yards.

And well, I guess you still think your "shitty RBs manage to make guys miss and break tackles" comment was somehow relevant.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I am hoping and praying Darren McFadden has one of those Charles White/Garrison Hearst type resurgences where a highly pedigreed back stuck on a losing team suddenly unleashes his potential late in his career when he finds himself behind a real OL on a real team.

Hey, it could happen.

I think Jerry is banking on it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think Jerry is banking on it.
There is little doubt that is the case.

The worst part is that he's hitched his wagon to Randle as well with a lot of his usual pathological optimistic commentary.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Randle just hasn't had the consistent production for me to be confident that he can suddenly be a successful 15 or 20 carry a game guy.

He averaged 4 carries per game his rookie year, and 3.5 last year. He's had only 3 games of 10+ carries, and i think averaged 2.5 p ypc in those games. He's statistically poor against 8 man fronts.

The league has been littered with backup RBs that have had some nice runs here and there. Being a main guy is a different thing.

I liked Randle in the draft. But I just don't think he's any more than a backup.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed he was a bust, but he was a talented one. Felix averaged no fewer than 4.3 YPC his first four seasons. But the NFL pounded his edge flat very quickly through exposure.
Felix was never a lead back ever in his career. Any idiot could see he wasn't meant to be. That's not at all how Randle plays and Randle actually was a lead back in college.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The worst part is that he's hitched his wagon to Randle as well with a lot of his usual pathological optimistic commentary.
Randle could have a solid career as a backup, but with McFadden likely to falter it will put too much pressure on him this season, and ultimately Romo.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is not what I was saying at all.

I was referring to this idiotic notion that our OL is so kick ass it blows open holes each and every down allowing any shithead to fall forward for five yards.

And well, I guess you still think your "shitty RBs manage to make guys miss and break tackles" comment was somehow relevant.
It is, because no RB needs massive holes on every play to get the one yard for a first down. :crazy

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Felix was never a lead back ever in his career. Any idiot could see he wasn't meant to be. That's not at all how Randle plays and Randle actually was a lead back in college.
In no reality is Randle a lead NFL back. No way can he take 250-300 carries, 50+ receptions, and 300 pass blocks in this league.

It's unfair to ask that of him.

It just is.

Top Bottom