The Running Back position will doom us or not thread...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dunbar should not be on the team. I don't mind Randle but only as a 3rd RB who mostly just gets carries in blowouts and if someone else in injured.
Shit, Dunbar didn't belong on the roster last year. He sucks as a RB and his receiving skills are either overrated or vastly under used.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I would absolutely make that comparison, given same number of seasons played. On any QB related statistic.

Now if you want to count playoff appearances, wins, SB championships; that is a team stat and not really a measure of an individual player.
:lol

I can see this is not even worth debating.

Romo > Brady, right?

With like, stats and stuff.

Who gives a shit about stats? Aikman was not impressive with any "QB related statistic". Yet All-Timer.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Huh? Who has said we need an all time leading rusher in here? It would be nice to have a solid lead back to depend on, though. Have there been any of them between Jim Brown, Walter Payton, and Smith?
It's sort of like this RB by committee talk. Is it really RB by committee if you have a back with 250 carries or so and 1200 yards rushing? That's really what I'd like to see out of our top RB next year. There is certainly a nice area between RB by committee and having a RB with nearly 400 carries.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's sort of like this RB by committee talk. Is it really RB by committee if you have a back with 250 carries or so and 1200 yards rushing? That's really what I'd like to see out of our top RB next year.
Good luck getting that from McFadden or Randle.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
great video. I'm not happy with the McFadden/Randle tandem but we certainly could have done a lot worse. I think our running game should be middle of the pack alongside one of the better passing offenses in the NFL. Our offense won't skip a beat.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
great video. I'm not happy with the McFadden/Randle tandem but we certainly could have done a lot worse. I think our running game should be middle of the pack alongside one of the better passing offenses in the NFL. Our offense won't skip a beat.
I have no doubt it will absolutely skip a beat.

Randle might be able to pull off a season like Forsett did last year, but the thing that Murray did and we reinforced was that the run is coming and you can't stop it.

Nothing better than taking your game, make it obvious and still run it down the oppositions throat. Murray was a good fit in that.

A finesse back like Randle, even on his best day, is not going to establish that.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't think it's the RB that establishes that. I think its the freakishly talented offensive line.
They go hand in hand. I have yet to see any line just "plug in anyone" and achieve sustained success. The back has to have talent also.

There is a lot of chemistry involved. The linemen know what the back does, the back knows how they block.

If not, we never would have had Haley slam his helmet into a wall being disgusted at Lassic as our lead back.

Jiggyfly

Banned
They go hand in hand. I have yet to see any line just "plug in anyone" and achieve sustained success. The back has to have talent also.

There is a lot of chemistry involved. The linemen know what the back does, the back knows how they block.

If not, we never would have had Haley slam his helmet into a wall being disgusted at Lassic as our lead back.
That's the thing, Randle has talent and it's evidenced in the video.

I am not saying he is the answer but you can't seem to admit he has talent.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I see solid RB instincts and good balance in a non-NFL body.

I don't agree that he has good burst because his speed doesn't cause a misreaction from the defense nor does it fuel the physical collisions that wear out a defense. It also does not create separation all on its own through a tiny crease.

Randle flows through a defense, he does not pop or "burst" through, and when he ends runs his linemen are usually not far away. BTW, where is his big run vs. Washington? I missed it in there. The hole on that play was unreal, as it was on many of his runs.

This video doesn't show the contrast between Randle and Murray either, and it's stark.

My overall take from his play is that this guy is the very definition of average RB. Not a freakshow disaster and nowhere near the chops to be pro-bowl material.

Finally no video can show us the effect Randle has on a defense and vice versa, because he only had 50 odd carries the whole season. What happens when he gets the 100 or 200 carries like we will need from him this season?

I think that number in of itself is telling. You have to keep asking yourself why in such a run-heavy offense did this guy only have 50 carries? I think Dallas can do better for their #2, especially with the identity they are trying to build for themselves.

I don't think it's the RB that establishes that. I think its the freakishly talented offensive line.
This kind of line does not exist, nor will it ever. The great 1990's lines needed every bit of Emmitt just like he thrived behind them. Lavette, Richards, Coleman, Thomas, Williams, etc. could not get it done behind them.

For every play the OL creates, the RB must create another for consistent success. Randle isn't there consistently

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You also don't need a RB to run people over to be successful in short yardage. That was Murray's style but I think a RB who can make people miss in the hole can be just as effective if not more effective.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Superb post, Ravi. Welcome to the "Randle Haters" club. Here is your button. We meet every Thursday.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You also don't need a RB to run people over to be successful in short yardage. That was Murray's style but I think a RB who can make people miss in the hole can be just as effective if not more effective.
I still don't get this idea that the line is just so "freakish" that every play is executed to perfection.

It didn't happen with Emmitt, it didn't happen with Murray last year.

A dominant running attack means you have a back who can overcome blocking errors and generate plus yardage. Murray could do that, whether you will admit it or not.

Randle? Give him about 150 carries and I can pretty much feel safe in assuring you that you won't be as impressed.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
250 carries or so and 1200 yards rushing
Where is that guy?

It isn't going to happen. Felix Jones had 30 carries as a rookie and averaged 8.9 yards per carry. It didn't mean if you gave him the ball 300 times he'd have had 2670 yards. In his career he never reached 185 carries and maxed out at 800 yards.

And Felix was far more talented than Randle.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Superb post, Ravi. Welcome to the "Randle Haters" club. Here is your button. We meet every Thursday.
Funny. I just post what I see with this guy and have been on him since training camp 2013. He takes what the OL gives him. We can do better.

I wish him well. Priest Holmes somehow found HGH or something later in his career and became a force for a couple of years. Maybe Randle can do the same. I don't see it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Where is that guy?

It isn't going to happen. Felix Jones had 30 carries as a rookie and averaged 8.9 yards per carry. It didn't mean if you gave him the ball 300 times he'd have had 2670 yards. In his career he never reached 185 carries and maxed out at 800 yards.

And Felix was far more talented than Randle.
Ok, so now I know to just ignore your opinion on RBs. Felix was a bust in every sense of the word.

I certainly don't expect Randle to continue averaging 6.7 yards per carry. Thankfully he doesn't need to average that many yards per carry to get to 1200 yards.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I still don't get this idea that the line is just so "freakish" that every play is executed to perfection.

It didn't happen with Emmitt, it didn't happen with Murray last year.
Sure and even shitty RBs break tackles and make guys miss. It isn't reserved just for the top notch RBs.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Shit, Dunbar didn't belong on the roster last year. He sucks as a RB and his receiving skills are either overrated or vastly under used.
Yep. The RB position needs a complete overhaul.

An elite starter
A backup with some defining skill that helps him play at an elite level for short stretches.
A scat back to provide a threat out of the backfield as well as a dangerous change of pace.
A bruising fullback who can carry and catch the ball

That's what you strive for, especially the way this team is built.

If you have the above I guarantee this team plays well into January for years and years regardless of the QB.

Top Bottom