The Outrage Thread

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He had enough fentanyl in his body to kill 3 people. No way was this murder. Murder requires intent.

Should he have put his knee into his upper back for that long, no. Did he intend to kill him, also no.

Doesn't matter, the fucking thugs will riot anyway. They don't give one shit about the verdict. They just want to burn and steal shit.
Felony Murder doesn't require intent to kill someone. Felony Murder only requires the intent to commit a felony. In this case that was Assault. Someone dies in the commission of a felony and that's what is called felony murder. In Minnesota that is Murder in the second degree.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

See? Riots will continue.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He was kinda scapegoated but whatever. I think I buy manslaughter perhaps but not the murder charge.
Felony murder can be a real bitch. I'm dealing with a felony murder case on a client right now. I'm not sure how the felony murder statute is in Minnesota but in Missouri the felony being committed doesn't even have to be classified as a dangerous felony.

Cotton

Staff member
Felony Murder doesn't require intent to kill someone. Felony Murder only requires the intent to commit a felony. In this case that was Assault. Someone dies in the commission of a felony and that's what is called felony murder. In Minnesota that is Murder in the second degree.
So, in your opinion, did they prove felonious assault? If they didn't, he shouldn't have been convicted of murder.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, in your opinion, did they prove felonious assault? If they didn't, he shouldn't have been convicted of murder.
I'm not a Minnesota Legal expert nor am I licensed there but I'd say yes based on the length of time and the fact that what he did was actually in violation of police training. I've seen felony assault for far less.

Cotton

Staff member
I'm not a Minnesota Legal expert nor am I licensed there but I'd say yes based on the length of time and the fact that what he did was actually in violation of police training. I've seen felony assault for far less.
There was witness testimony in the trial that stated he didn't go against any training he was administered. There was also an expert in police training and brutality that testified that what he did wasn't excessive.

This is a tough one, but I am glad he will never ever again be a cop, and that he will spend significant amount of time in prison.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah that’s what I’m saying. I get the sense there is a bit of “we are the police, do what we say or else,” machismo that runs in these departments.

They do need a lesson that they have to do a little more protecting and serving. He has to be aware that he also has to be saving someone’s life.

But I think that’s manslaughter and maybe 5-10, out in less.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There was witness testimony in the trial that stated he didn't go against any training he was administered. There was also an expert in police training and brutality that testified that what he did wasn't excessive.

This is a tough one, but I am glad he will never ever again be a cop, and that he will spend significant amount of time in prison.
Yeah I guess I was referring to this "The trial of Derek Chauvin continued Tuesday with an array of police experts who testified that Chauvin failed to follow his training, from use of force to CPR, during his arrest of George Floyd."

I think in watching the video it is pretty clear that he went above an beyond what a reasonable officer should do. Or what any reasonable person should do.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah that’s what I’m saying. I get the sense there is a bit of “we are the police, do what we say or else,” machismo that runs in these departments.

They do need a lesson that they have to do a little more protecting and serving. He has to be aware that he also has to be saving someone’s life.

But I think that’s manslaughter and maybe 5-10, out in less.
We need police unions to go the fuck away. Making it almost impossible to fire bad cops leads to shit just like this.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This isn't all that uncommon. Lots of officers take their anger out on criminals when the criminals piss them off. But ultimately they need to be better than that.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah I guess I was referring to this "The trial of Derek Chauvin continued Tuesday with an array of police experts who testified that Chauvin failed to follow his training, from use of force to CPR, during his arrest of George Floyd."

I think in watching the video it is pretty clear that he went above an beyond what a reasonable officer should do. Or what any reasonable person should do.
We agree that this shithead should go to prison. The question is, is he guilty of murder?

Cotton

Staff member
This isn't all that uncommon. Lots of officers take their anger out on criminals when the criminals piss them off. But ultimately they need to be better than that.
I'd hate to be a cop and do not envy their jobs. Yes, they signed up for it, but imagine the shit they have to put up with. Not excusing Chauvin, just making an observation.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I think it would be awesome if the police didn't shoot another kid today.

Top Bottom