The Job Thread

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
One of the worst things in the world is when these idiots move here and then complain like like babies how things are wrong in Texas. The roads are bad, drivers, don't like the cows, don't like the stores, the people are awful just to name a few. Take your ass back where you came from then.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
One of the worst things in the world is when these idiots move here and then complain like like babies how things are wrong in Texas. The roads are bad, drivers, don't like the cows, don't like the stores, the people are awful just to name a few. Take your ass back where you came from then.
I guess they have bigger problems. Like how locals do have values.

My New Yorker issue is not ignorance, but a general state of rudeness.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
So, I love my job but upper management has completely lost their minds. They have this insane idea that we don’t need to give people raises on a regular basis. Plus since in most peoples minds reviews=raises we shouldn’t do reviews. When I took the position they told me they wanted to figure out what is wrong with the warehouse. It took me a week and a half to send them a detailed list of what the issues are. I have been there 6 weeks. This week I rewrote the ridiculously inept attendance policy.

so the bad is they may all be insane to a horrible extent. The good is it could literally be my ticket to upper management if they listen to me and actually make changes.
This is going to be an interesting year or two.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So, I love my job but upper management has completely lost their minds. They have this insane idea that we don’t need to give people raises on a regular basis. Plus since in most peoples minds reviews=raises we shouldn’t do reviews. When I took the position they told me they wanted to figure out what is wrong with the warehouse. It took me a week and a half to send them a detailed list of what the issues are. I have been there 6 weeks. This week I rewrote the ridiculously inept attendance policy.

so the bad is they may all be insane to a horrible extent. The good is it could literally be my ticket to upper management if they listen to me and actually make changes.
This is going to be an interesting year or two.
At least you have the ability to create or change policies. That is one thing I hate working in HR for a huge corporation.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
At least you have the ability to create or change policies. That is one thing I hate working in HR for a huge corporation.
Some good some bad. Now I am being asked to develop a new onboarding program and leadership training for our management team. I am just an HR generalist. When I took the job there was talk of opportunities to advance. Our company is based in Dallas and I work at our largest warehouse in Columbus, OH. So, there is at least the vague representation that I can become the HR manager in Ohio. My boss is the current HR manager but she is more of a payroll person than "actual" HR. Taking on the tasks that I am makes me nervous. I have had bad experience in the past of taking on tasks for a company with vague promises and then getting shafted.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Some good some bad. Now I am being asked to develop a new onboarding program and leadership training for our management team. I am just an HR generalist.
So what? Do you not feel you can do it? And what is wrong with being "just an HR generalist"?

That is part of the brutal part of getting into HR...requiring certifications and basically expense if you want to be taken seriously.

I let mine lapse and I dropped out, basically. Hasn't stopped me from finding a job. Although it probably gets you auto-filtered out of many job postings if you don't list it.

My best advise....network. I wished I had taken advantage of the fake meet for lunch to just schmooze.

When I took the job there was talk of opportunities to advance. Our company is based in Dallas and I work at our largest warehouse in Columbus, OH. So, there is at least the vague representation that I can become the HR manager in Ohio. My boss is the current HR manager but she is more of a payroll person than "actual" HR. Taking on the tasks that I am makes me nervous. I have had bad experience in the past of taking on tasks for a company with vague promises and then getting shafted.
I just say take on the challenge you have been presented. I don't see where you have anything to lose.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
So what? Do you not feel you can do it? And what is wrong with being "just an HR generalist"?

That is part of the brutal part of getting into HR...requiring certifications and basically expense if you want to be taken seriously.

I let mine lapse and I dropped out, basically. Hasn't stopped me from finding a job. Although it probably gets you auto-filtered out of many job postings if you don't list it.

My best advise....network. I wished I had taken advantage of the fake meet for lunch to just schmooze.

I just say take on the challenge you have been presented. I don't see where you have anything to lose.
I definitely know I can do what they are asking. The increased responsibility is fine but I am 100% not being paid at the level of work that is being asked of me. These are tasks that would normally be given to an HR manager. My boss has no clue how to do these things and it is obvious. That's where my concern comes in. I am currently fighting with them because they don't want to do annual reviews and raises. Doesn't bode well for my own future even when I am outperforming expectations.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I definitely know I can do what they are asking. The increased responsibility is fine but I am 100% not being paid at the level of work that is being asked of me. These are tasks that would normally be given to an HR manager. My boss has no clue how to do these things and it is obvious. That's where my concern comes in. I am currently fighting with them because they don't want to do annual reviews and raises. Doesn't bode well for my own future even when I am outperforming expectations.
You are clearly new to HR. You have to pay the dues, boy!

In all seriousness, you need to nail the responsibility and worry about money later.

If you start counting beans, you lose perspective.

Now I am not telling you to let them abuse you, but there is a game at play here.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
You are clearly new to HR. You have to pay the dues, boy!

In all seriousness, you need to nail the responsibility and worry about money later.

If you start counting beans, you lose perspective.

Now I am not telling you to let them abuse you, but there is a game at play here.
Lol. Thanks uncle Boozy.

I understand proving what I can do. I am just a little gun shy from doing so in the past and then being swept aside.
I am mostly bitching. The optimist in me believes this is them asking a lot of me to let me prove I deserve it. The pessimist is just a little hesitant to believe a company at their word.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I have a big problem now, bros.

My phone is three years old, but obsolete in terms being on our network to receive company email.

It has been a sheer joy for three weeks to say "Uhhh, sorry haven't got a new phone yet!"

No emails all night. If it was something big, "Sorry, left my laptop in my office."

I don't know how long I can squeeze out of this state of bliss.

So I may have to get a new phone.

I have had Android products (all Samsung) almost exclusively since dropping Blackberry a long time ago.

But I see that the new Galaxy phones have bad reviews.

And errdamnbody at work is an Apple person.

But I am frightened. My primitive mind can’t grasp the idea of learning a new OS.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

My phone is three years old, but obsolete in terms being on our network to receive company email.

It has been a sheer joy for three weeks to say "Uhhh, sorry haven't got a new phone yet!"

No emails all night. If it was something big, "Sorry, left my laptop in my office."

I have had Android products (all Samsung) almost exclusively since dropping Blackberry a long time ago.

But I am frightened. My primitive mind can’t grasp the idea of learning a new OS.
Yeah I just can't do apple. My wife has an Iphone, bought my 9 year old step daughter a brand new iphone but I still have my Galaxy S20. I honestly think my phone is better in almost every way. But I hate apple and the way they force you to use an apple account. The way their products all link is a massive pain in the ass and rarely works smoothly. I find it to be trash.

As far as my phone is concerned the only issue I ever have had with it is I tend to get gunk in the charging port carrying it in my pocket and then I can't get the damn thing to charge plugging it in. So I usually just stick with wireless charging. Other than that the the camera and everything else on it is great. Good luck with an Iphone but something tells me you're really going to hate it.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I’m the same way. I can use my iPhone in my sleep, but if some old person asks me to turn up their ring volume on their Samsung galaxy note xpfghpd, they may as well ask me to build one from scratch.

I wouldn’t want to learn a new phone at this point.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
I always suggest Apple for older people. Because they limit what you can do through the App Store it is a little easier to learn.

Apple versus android is all about preference.

everyone I have talked to has their preference and for what ever reason the other always has issues. I have had few issues with my iPhones. Every Samsung I have had has given me a major issue within 6-8 months.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

I have an LG V60 Think and would recommend. Im pretty sure they have a newer model by now so should have even more features.

Top Bottom