The Job Thread

Smitty

DCC 4Life
They want an advanced degree for that, but her father was a superintendent in a NJ school system and also did curriculum development, teaching and then beyond is in her family.

She could absolutely do that job but like I said she doesn’t have the degree. I should insist she go back and get one.

Plus that job should get us into the 1% :hattip

edit j/k, the 1% would still be way above us

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
They want an advanced degree for that, but her father was a superintendent in a NJ school system and also did curriculum development, teaching and then beyond is in her family.

She could absolutely do that job but like I said she doesn’t have the degree. I should insist she go back and get one.

Degrees don't always mean shit. It annoys me.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

edit j/k, the 1% would still be way above us
What's the cutoff for 1%?

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
What's the cutoff for 1%?
In 2021, the top 1% earned more than twice the income of the top 5% nationwide. While the top 1% earned almost $600,000, you only needed to pull in $240,712 to crack the top 5% of U.S. earners, according to SmartAsset. But the bar for the highest income bracket varies from state to state.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
In 2021, the top 1% earned more than twice the income of the top 5% nationwide. While the top 1% earned almost $600,000, you only needed to pull in $240,712 to crack the top 5% of U.S. earners, according to SmartAsset. But the bar for the highest income bracket varies from state to state.
Yeah my guess is 1% in Missouri is far different than 1% in New York. But $600,000 still seems high. I wonder if they are doing their math right. I have a hard time believe one in every hundred people make $600,000 a year.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Maybe look into getting a cpa?
This is a really good suggestion. There is nothing stopping her from getting into finance somewhere. With those reasoning skills I bet she’d kill it.

Education is a stand up job and it takes special people to do that.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Yeah my guess is 1% in Missouri is far different than 1% in New York. But $600,000 still seems high. I wonder if they are doing their math right. I have a hard time believe one in every hundred people make $600,000 a year.
That one is probably by household, not individual

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Who are the top one percent by income?
$504,420 is the cutoff for a top 1% household income in the United States in 2021. For a single earner, the cutoff is $357,552.

The top 1% household income is not the final word, so pick your favorite. Households might have multiple people working – it is often more appropriate to break down the 1% for individual workers. (Or, even by state or city).

Let's look at some of the other ways to measure the top one percent by income.

Income of the Top 10% and Top 1% Household and Worker
Percentile Threshold 10.00% 1.00%
Individual Income $129,181.00 $357,552.00
Household Income $201,052.00 $504,420.00

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
We must be in the top 1% according to those charts, but why the fuck am I broke all the time?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah I think less, I think more like 450k. Which would make sense because that’s two 225k earners. I could see that in every hundred households.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Earning stats are always interesting.

I do my best to keep a good balance between investing back into my business, tapping all perks and benefits while staying under the 35% tax bracket. I loath taxes so much that I’d do anything legal to not pay them. Guess I’m a greedy white guy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Earning stats are always interesting.

I do my best to keep a good balance between investing back into my business, tapping all perks and benefits while staying under the 35% tax bracket. I loath taxes so much that I’d do anything legal to not pay them. Guess I’m a greedy white guy.
Yeah I'm the same way. Really pisses me off and sometimes I really wonder if there is a path to getting further ahead than I am. I work my tail off and know I could probably make even more money. But if the government is going to fuck me that much harder part of me doesn't see it as being worth it. I already have most everything a person could want. I'd like to save more money and all that good stuff. But at some point earning more just feels like I give most of it away to the government in the end.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Yeah I'm the same way. Really pisses me off and sometimes I really wonder if there is a path to getting further ahead than I am. I work my tail off and know I could probably make even more money. But if the government is going to fuck me that much harder part of me doesn't see it as being worth it. I already have most everything a person could want. I'd like to save more money and all that good stuff. But at some point earning more just feels like I give most of it away to the government in the end.
I’m positioning myself to sell in 5 years or so. Don’t know if I will but I want that option. So building assets in the business is a good way to delay taxes. I supposed I’ll get one giant screwing at some point down the road.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m positioning myself to sell in 5 years or so. Don’t know if I will but I want that option. So building assets in the business is a good way to delay taxes. I supposed I’ll get one giant screwing at some point down the road.
Yeah you will but at least by then maybe the number will be so big that the taxes don't hurt as much. It's the yearly massive tax bill I pay in on every year that kills me. But then again it's better than getting only half my money upfront. Unfortunately with a law firm there aren't a lot of things you can buy to balance it out.

I'd like to buy an office building but it's not easy to find exactly what I want.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Yeah you will but at least by then maybe the number will be so big that the taxes don't hurt as much. It's the yearly massive tax bill I pay in on every year that kills me. But then again it's better than getting only half my money upfront. Unfortunately with a law firm there aren't a lot of things you can buy to balance it out.

I'd like to buy an office building but it's not easy to find exactly what I want.
Real estate has really nice built-in tax advantages.

Top Bottom