The Job Thread

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
If I see a blue background in a text, I just assume you're poor.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I was in a similar circumstance, boozer. Had an android I was unhappy with because it did all kinds of crazy things, so I seriously considered Apple. Didn't do it for the reasons people mention on here -- basically, didn't want to totally re-do everything in a new ecosystem.

I looked and tried a lot of phones and ended up with a Motorola Edge, which I'm very happy with. It's basically fixed all the issues my old phone had, so the problem was the phone (mid-level Nokia, not a cheapo junk phone) and not the OS.

I was surprised when I talked to all the salespeople at different stores. I was leaning to switching to Apple and expected them to steer me that way, but if anything it was the opposite. Most told me Apple wasn't any better like they used to be.

FWIW, my dad has had Samsung Galaxy phones for years and I've never liked them. I read about some of the bad reviews you're talking about also and some of the salespeople even admitted them. I know Samsung advertise and sell the most but that doesn't mean others don't make phones just as good.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I was in a similar circumstance, boozer. Had an android I was unhappy with because it did all kinds of crazy things, so I seriously considered Apple. Didn't do it for the reasons people mention on here -- basically, didn't want to totally re-do everything in a new ecosystem.

I looked and tried a lot of phones and ended up with a Motorola Edge, which I'm very happy with. It's basically fixed all the issues my old phone had, so the problem was the phone (mid-level Nokia, not a cheapo junk phone) and not the OS.

I was surprised when I talked to all the salespeople at different stores. I was leaning to switching to Apple and expected them to steer me that way, but if anything it was the opposite. Most told me Apple wasn't any better like they used to be.

FWIW, my dad has had Samsung Galaxy phones for years and I've never liked them. I read about some of the bad reviews you're talking about also and some of the salespeople even admitted them. I know Samsung advertise and sell the most but that doesn't mean others don't make phones just as good.

I have a Motorola as well and love it.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I've jumped from Samsung to Motorola to Apple, they're all pretty much the same. It takes about a month to adapt to the new phone/OS, don't fret about it. Though I must admit I probably only use my phones to 20-30% of their capabilities...

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I am now intrigued.

Explain.
Motorola has these "gestures" where you activate certain functions without having to open the phone. If you make two chops, the flashlight comes on, even if the phone is locked. Very handy for when your hands are full. Same thing with the camera -- if you just rotate the phone back and forth a couple of times the camera comes on. Much quicker than unlocking the phone and finding the camera button. And there are some other ones also.

There's also a pretty cool feature called "peek" where when you get a notification, a little icon pops up on your lock screen. If you touch it, a little preview comes up to show you more details. Basically it lets you see if you need to unlock the phone and read the full thing or just ignore it. Or with shorter texts, you are seeing the whole thing.

But those are nice perks. I'd like my phone without them because it's a good, solid, fast phone that doesn't give me any problems.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Motorola has these "gestures" where you activate certain functions without having to open the phone. If you make two chops, the flashlight comes on, even if the phone is locked. Very handy for when your hands are full. Same thing with the camera -- if you just rotate the phone back and forth a couple of times the camera comes on. Much quicker than unlocking the phone and finding the camera button. And there are some other ones also.

There's also a pretty cool feature called "peek" where when you get a notification, a little icon pops up on your lock screen. If you touch it, a little preview comes up to show you more details. Basically it lets you see if you need to unlock the phone and read the full thing or just ignore it. Or with shorter texts, you are seeing the whole thing.

But those are nice perks. I'd like my phone without them because it's a good, solid, fast phone that doesn't give me any problems.
Two chops... like a judy chop?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
@boozeman

Stick to Android.

Try the Pixel out. It's got all of the cool features you like about Android but it's very simplistic in its UI design.

I had the Pixel 1-3 and I loved them all.

I currently have the Samsung Galaxy s21. And while there are certainly some cool things about it that I like, I miss the simple functionality of the Pixel and I think I will be going back to it later in the Fall when the newer one comes out.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
@boozeman

Stick to Android.

Try the Pixel out. It's got all of the cool features you like about Android but it's very simplistic in its UI design.

I had the Pixel 1-3 and I loved them all.

I currently have the Samsung Galaxy s21. And while there are certainly some cool things about it that I like, I miss the simple functionality of the Pixel and I think I will be going back to it later in the Fall when the newer one comes out.
That's a good one, too. Not to be a total Moto pimp :unsure , but that's another thing I like about it -- the simple, almost pure Android setup without a bunch of added bloatware. There are some small added twists but nothing like what Samsung does.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I have an iPhone and it’s not hard to use at all. A Mac is hard but an iPhone isn’t.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I guess I am going to have to go to store or something and get to Judy-choppin'.

Thank you guys. You have eased my fright and confusion.

Now I get to look forward to see what kind of dork tries to sell me outside my plan.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Today set a first for me.

A goddamn five hour revival conducted on a Zoom Call.

Top Bottom