The Coronavirus Thread...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Who even mentioned Trump? Seems you are suffering from some type of post-trump syndrome or something...
I was replying to a post about whether the country was prepared or not. If you haven't seen all the TDS-ites beating away on their pots and pans about how this is all Trump's fault I don't know what to tell you. Maybe remove head from ass?

Cotton

Staff member
It's almost as if..... they don't want the virus to be under control.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

This is a great interview from the Dr. Fauci of South Korea. It's long and in Korean so you have to read all the subtitles, which is tedious. Here are a few notes:

1. Unlike what Fauci said, they unfortunately are seeing some patients who have recovered and been released develop new symptoms later. :(

2. Breakdown of death by age groups is approximately:
80s, 11.6% (!)
70s, 6.3
60s, 1.5
50s 0.4

3. Masks are definitely effective and he doesn't understand why the West authorities aren't recommending them... except to keep the public from buying them up from the medical professionals. (Still extremely irritiating to me that I heard Sanjay Gupta say they wouldn't do any good and could even be a negative by trapping the virus inside. That's either a total lie or total incompetence. But SCIENCE!!!)

4. Korea is handling this the best because of the SARS epidemic in the early 2000s, and because they were the only non-Middle Eastern country to have a significant MERS outbreak. So the public understood these outbreaks, and the government started preparing years, even decades ago.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
ORANGE MAN BAD!!!!!

~monkey noises, scratching armpits~
You're so funny. Your guy literally can't get his facts straight and you're willing to give him a total pass on the whole thing. When we get through this thing, he's gonna get hung by all those misstatements. They're just gonna run ads of Trump calling the virus a hoax as the numbers increase exponentially. We lost weeks until somebody convinced him that it was a thing. All your Fox heroes downplayed the thing (except Tucker Carlson) until they realized it was a fucking thing. One of them got fired for that. Then they pivoted to blaming the media and China. Which is where you guys are I guess.

Let me tell you, you can not find an RN or MD who says anything nice about Trump at this time. Oh, and we live in Dallas TX. Liberal sanctum...:rolleyes:

It's so exasperating how you guys can so slavishly and irrationally fall in line with a guy who represents everything I teach my son not to be. Dishonest, prejudiced, ignorant, a bully, a philanderer, greedy, arrogant, and most of all, petty. Nobody can look at that list of qualities and not honestly say it applies to that guy. Even Schmitty is honest enough to admit he's a detestable human being.

But whatever, continue to condescend to those who feel our leaders should be intelligent and honest. The last Rep President who had a brain was Bush Sr and he did a ton of longterm good for the country. He was rewarded with a single term. Meanwhile the last 2 nitwits have wrecked the country. So thanks.

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
Just the opposite. The only people counted are the ones who have been tested. We don't have 100,000 cases in the US. It's probably more like 1/2 million. On the plus side, the kill rate is probably not as bad as 3.4%. But who knows? When people show up dead you don't always know why.
is there a protocol required where a test of some sort is immediately done with the deceased to determine COD? Or does that fall on the coroner who might be overwhelmed and behind on providing timely sats of deaths caused by C19?

My assumption has been that the death by C19 figure is far more accurate than the number of infections because deaths are easier to count and report since thankful they are a much smaller number so far

Cotton

Staff member
You're so funny. Your guy literally can't get his facts straight and you're willing to give him a total pass on the whole thing. When we get through this thing, he's gonna get hung by all those misstatements. They're just gonna run ads of Trump calling the virus a hoax as the numbers increase exponentially. We lost weeks until somebody convinced him that it was a thing. All your Fox heroes downplayed the thing (except Tucker Carlson) until they realized it was a fucking thing. One of them got fired for that. Then they pivoted to blaming the media and China. Which is where you guys are I guess.

Let me tell you, you can not find an RN or MD who says anything nice about Trump at this time. Oh, and we live in Dallas TX. Liberal sanctum...:rolleyes:

It's so exasperating how you guys can so slavishly and irrationally fall in line with a guy who represents everything I teach my son not to be. Dishonest, prejudiced, ignorant, a bully, a philanderer, greedy, arrogant, and most of all, petty. Nobody can look at that list of qualities and not honestly say it applies to that guy. Even Schmitty is honest enough to admit he's a detestable human being.

But whatever, continue to condescend to those who feel our leaders should be intelligent and honest. The last Rep President who had a brain was Bush Sr and he did a ton of longterm good for the country. He was rewarded with a single term. Meanwhile the last 2 nitwits have wrecked the country. So thanks.
My mom is a nurse of 30+ years and she is a huge supporter of Trump and how he has handled this.

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
3. Masks are definitely effective and he doesn't understand why the West authorities aren't recommending them... except to keep the public from buying them up from the medical professionals. (Still extremely irritiating to me that I heard Sanjay Gupta say they wouldn't do any good and could even be a negative by trapping the virus inside. That's either a total lie or total incompetence. But SCIENCE!!!)
I heard another heath care person come straight out say say dismissively "dont wear masks"

see the 14:10 mark of this video:

gawd damn it, we better come out of this thing with a plan for the future. I like Bill Gates idea of doing "war game" scenarios like the military does for the threat of war. We need to take advantage of this moment when we get past this and implement a coordinated nationwide plan that all 50 states adhere to immediately when this inevitably happens again.

I have little faith it will happen though as folks will go back to their heated and divisive parties lines while this idea withers on the vine

lostxn

DCC 4Life
is there a protocol required where a test of some sort is immediately done with the deceased to determine COD? Or does that fall on the coroner who might be overwhelmed and behind on providing timely sats of deaths caused by C19?

My assumption has been that the death by C19 figure is far more accurate than the number of infections because deaths are easier to count and report since thankful they are a much smaller number so far
Sorry, I don't know. I haven't had anybody come in dead where I thought it was COVID19. We've had one death in the hospital of COVID19 as far as I know but I haven't been there for a few days. Hopefully we haven't had more but we've put more people on vents. My guess is most people die of COVID19 in hospitals. We take full precautions on all out of hospital deaths though. You never know.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
They're just gonna run ads of Trump calling the virus a hoax
Even fucking snopes admits he didn't call it a hoax but keep parroting that lie
Oh, and we live in Dallas TX. Liberal sanctum...:rolleyes:
I live just outside of Dallas and it's absolutely majority liberal

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
Sorry, I don't know. I haven't had anybody come in dead where I thought it was COVID19. We've had one death in the hospital of COVID19 as far as I know but I haven't been there for a few days. Hopefully we haven't had more but we've put more people on vents. My guess is most people die of COVID19 in hospitals. We take full precautions on all out of hospital deaths though. You never know.
thx for your thoughts, forgive me but I have a barrage of more questions if you dont mind

I forgot to ask, what's your take on masks? Should or shouldn't the average person wear them and if so, how and when?

What do you think about these masks someone is selling on a Facebook page I follow and are they good masks to recommend and buy?

Do you have a enough supplies in your hospital?

I shared the link on my FB timeline where people can buy the masks and even offered to buy masks for anyone who needed them and its been crickets

Seems like if masks were in such short supply someone would have taken me up on my offer

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Even fucking snopes admits he didn't call it a hoax but keep parroting that lie
You're right, the coronavirus is a Democratic hoax, not generally a hoax. My bad. He absolutely took it seriously. Cause he shut off China and stuff after the airlines said they weren't flying there anymore.

I live just outside of Dallas and it's absolutely majority liberal
True, but it's not a liberal city by any means. 55/45 at best. I know loads of Reps. Most Dems are moderate Dems (DINOs if you will).

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

lostxn

DCC 4Life
thx for your thoughts, forgive me but I have a barrage of more questions if you dont mind

I forgot to ask, what's your take on masks? Should or shouldn't the average person wear them and if so, how and when?
If you have one, I don't think it's unreasonable to wear one when you go shopping or what-not. Probably more important is gloves and washing your hands. But it someone is coughing, masks are a good idea.

What do you think about these masks someone is selling on a Facebook page I follow and are they good masks to recommend and buy?

No idea about this particular product but KN95 mask would be very much better than open air. A simple surgical mask is probably sufficient unless someone is literally coughing in your face. I suspect most infections are from droplets which get on your hands, then hands > face but that's just a guess. The disease is not really airborne unless you aerosolize it (coughing to a limited extent, nebulizer treatments, intubations). It is contained within droplets.

Do you have a enough supplies in your hospital?
We's conserving to stretch out our supply. I'm currently working on building a UV box to clean masks to stretch their use across multiple shifts. We are not out yet and have a $3 million PPE buy in the works. No arrival date. In a sane world, our buy is probably headed to NYC or NO.

I shared the link on my FB timeline where people can buy the masks and even offered to buy masks for anyone who needed them and its been crickets

Seems like if masks were in such short supply someone would have taken me up on my offer
That's nice of you. People are probably just very nervous about using untested stuff. People have ordered stuff off of Amazon and Ebay to find that it's some sort of Chinese scam. By the way, Chinese scams abounded on those platforms way before the Coronavirus. Doubt it's some Chinese government plot though I suppose I can't rule it out. They just don't seem to have the same controls we do.

Top Bottom