The Coronavirus Thread...

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
Yeah that is bullshit. There was a tax cut to real estate owners which was retroactive. So weird, I wonder why they wanted a tax cut for real estate people...who would benefit?

alright, now were in my wheelhouse so I can confidently comment on this issue as I am a CPA and real estate investor for the last 30 years

first of all, as I suspected, the republicans are pulling the same BS as dems by sneaking in whatever they can into this massive document, gawd only knows what else is in this huge document, per the article:

Senate Republicans inserted an easy-to-overlook provision on page 203 of the 880-page bill
I suspect there isn't one single congressman person who has read all 880 pages. Amazing how they have this shit on the ready to run out the minute a crisis arises which will allow them to cram as much through on the back of the legitimate issue(s)

Having said that, I don't think its accurate to call this a "cost". Its actually a way of reporting your taxes that reduces the net taxable income now versus future years which in essence will be a wash, from the article again:

Senate Republicans inserted an easy-to-overlook provision on page 203 of the 880-page bill that would permit wealthy investors to use losses generated by real estate to minimize their taxes on profits from things like investments in the stock market. The estimated cost of the change over 10 years is $170 billion.

Under the existing tax code, when real estate investors generate losses from gradually writing down the value of their properties, a process known as depreciation, they can use some of those losses to offset other taxes. The result is that people can enjoy big tax breaks stemming from only-on-paper losses, even if they enjoy big cash profits in the real world.

But the use of those losses was limited by the 2017 tax-cut package. The losses could be used only to shelter the first $500,000 of a married couple’s nonbusiness income, such as capital gains from investments. Any leftover losses got rolled over to future years.
depreciation can be a non cash expense that eventually becomes an actual expense or was a valid expense that is forced to be spread over the life of the use of that expense versus taking the entire cost in the year it was incurred. So, its really a way of spreading those expenses over the life of their use versus expensing them all in a single year. In fact, when I do huge capital improvement, I have to depreciate them over time. And surprise, surprise, over time the building depreciates in real life too. It has to be painted every 5 or so years, new roofs every 20 or so years, new AC units every 8-10 years, etc, etc, etc. so why wouldn't these expenses be allowed to be deducted from total revenues to arrive at taxable profit?

Further, if I lose money on my duplex say I lost $10,000 in one year, so I sold some stock to help make up for my loss and the profit on the stock I sold was $15,000. Why shouldn't I (or anyone else) be able to deduct the loss on one investment from the gain of another to arrive at a net taxable profit of $5,000?

If I ran a t-shirt business and one shirt made a profit of $15,000 and the other shirt lost $10,000, there would be no question that the two should be combined to arrive at the actual net profit.

Every other business would do the same damn thing. No one would ever suggest that a restaurant owner cant deduct the price of their hamburger meat from their total revenues to determine taxable profit, but because real estate requires the ability to have lots of cash or access to debt, people like to demonize property owners as "rich real estate investors" to justify all manner of illogical nonsense.

As an aside, I'm noticing a rising tide of tenants making comments on Facebook that are having a similar sentiment where they demonize the landlord as some sort of slime that has screwed them over. Nevermind the fact they chose the place they live, the gestapo didn't come in the middle of the night and force them to reside in their current space. But I guess when you're a lazy piece of shit, the best thing you got going for you is to attack folks that aren't so you can justify not paying your rent, check these comments out:

Anyway, back to the point. If a person has a variety of business they're involved in and some make money and some don't, I don't understand why you shouldn't be allowed to aggregate them altogether to arrive at net taxable income so as a real estate investor, I would welcome this change and it will help folks, especially the smaller investors. And because this bill is an attempt to give economic relief to all business effected during this crisis, I can understand how it became part of the package.

Its really nothing more than a timing issue because prior to this revision, you had to carry forward losses against future gains which ultimately does the same thing in the future that this bill allows for happening now.

But as a person who is concerned about the virus getting addressed ASAP and helping the economy suffer the least, I can see how some people who dont understand how all this works would feel this is some sort of sneaky thing for so called "rich people".

Sure the wealthy will benefit from this now but so will all the other small property owners who have worked their asses off to acquire a property or two they hope to have paid off in 20+ years so they can have something when they're older to live off of.

My plumber is a great example. He came here from Mexico, didn't speak the language & realized he needed to understand English to succeed here and learned it. He also learned how to be a plumber and he's a great one. Over the last 15 years he bought a house for himself that he lived in and then eventually bought another one and moved into it and rented his old one and is now building a new house where he plans to keep the other two and rent those out as well.

And this is a guy not born here, didn't know the language yet busted his ass and found a way to be successful. So if he loses money in his plumbing business this year because of the slow down, your damn right he should be able to deduct those losses against any gains he makes on real estate. (and vice versa).

And so should everyone else who is in business, even if they fall under the dreaded category of "the rich"

And PS..my plumber just proves what a person can still do in this country with a great work ethic, an excellent attitude and a willingness to make sacrifices now for long term benefit

/rant

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
I have to say, these Trump briefings are entertaining as hell. I cant help but chuckle when he starts chastising the reporter for loaded questions, "fake news", etc

I know I'm supposed to be outraged but I just cant seem to get there

PS..I have almost no faith in anything he claims, not because I hate him, etc but because I know he exaggerates and misrepresents the facts (to put it nicely) without shame. Hopefully he's more accurate than not

Last edited:

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

But sure let's put govt in charge of healthcare, what could go wrong

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

That's funny right there, I don't care who you are.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Link to site-

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
Yeah that is bullshit. There was a tax cut to real estate owners which was retroactive. So weird, I wonder why they wanted a tax cut for real estate people...who would benefit?

further, per the article:

Mr. Trump has also reported significant losses on his tax return. Portions of a 1995 tax return published by The Times showed nearly $916 million in losses, which could have permitted him to avoid paying any federal income taxes for almost two decades.

The 2017 law restricted both men’s abilities to reap tax savings through only-on-paper losses; now, with those limits likely to be lifted, Mr. Trump and Mr. Kushner, as well as other wealthy real estate developers, have the potential to score big tax savings.
So Trump loses $917 million in 1995. Lets say he makes exactly $917 million over the next 10 years?

1. How much do you believe Trump should be taxed over the cumulative 11 year period?

2. Would the answer change if it was you that lost $917 million in year 1 of your business and then made $917 million (total of all 10 years) in years 2 through 11?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Doing good, thanks.

I don’t know who or how, but someone is pimping us on a local radio station.

I think it may have something to do with an act of kindness we took part in, maybe someone is paying it back to us through a connection of theirs?

Idk, but yeah, things are still going well.
Cool, it's awesome when local communities support their own. We've been getting take out a lot the last couple weeks from our fav local restaurants to try and help.

Top Bottom