The Coronavirus Thread...

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

lostxn

DCC 4Life
First of all he isn’t my President he is our President. And your description of depicting him a a little President paints you as an obvious political intolerant.
Do you read your posts? You are as partisan as the come. What's worse, you can't even see it.

Finally there is dialogue about the possibility of an outbreak but when can you say is the date and time that makes this a responsibility of only the President.
I never said that. In fact I specifically said there is blame to go around. But the President's primary job is protection of the American people. He has failed at that most basic of duties. You're the one who can't say anything bad about him. You've fully drunk the KoolAid.

I just post 15 minutes of stupidity by your guy.

Where was the medical community in this same time frame?
You mean, besides warning the people and the administration? Besides that?

Also, that's a fucking new low. Now you want to blame the caregivers. I'm done with you.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Do you read your posts? You are as partisan as the come. What's worse, you can't even see it.

I never said that. In fact I specifically said there is blame to go around. But the President's primary job is protection of the American people. He has failed at that most basic of duties. You're the one who can't say anything bad about him. You've fully drunk the KoolAid.

I just post 15 minutes of stupidity by your guy.

You mean, besides warning the people and the administration? Besides that?

Also, that's a fucking new low. Now you want to blame the caregivers. I'm done with you.

Being partisan is one thing and I don’t have a problem with that but you took it a step further and had to be disparaging about those who are differently partisan such as “your little President”which is simply a description of disdain. You can’t seem to level with partisan. You took it to the nest level.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
1. I bet most of those HCPs hated Trump before any of this.
2. What exactly would Obama/Biden/Hillary/anyone else have done differently that Trump didn't do?
3. I, for one, am conservative and like most of his policies, but I hate when Trump gets all third grade insult-y. Makes me cringe.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. I bet most of those HCPs hated Trump before any of this.
2. What exactly would Obama/Biden/Hillary/anyone else have done differently that Trump didn't do?
3. I, for one, am conservative and like most of his policies, but I hate when Trump gets all third grade insult-y. Makes me cringe.
Honestly it's a virus that spreads easier than the flu. There was no stopping this unless you literally shutdown everyone coming in and out of this country before it got here. Republican/Democrat, we would be in a similar position to now. It's crazy to think otherwise. Going forward though is where the President can have a real impact to save lives and the economy. I guess we will all wait and see the results.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
If anyone believes that China isn’t 10-15 times more infected and isn’t losing more people per day than the US and Italy combined, those people aren’t far off from running a big cat zoo.
If you want to be even more depressed, our confirmed positive cases are understated by at least a factor of 5. Minimum. Most mildly ill pts I send home without testing. We don't have the tests to use on people who aren't sick enough to stay in the hospital. I have sent people to the drive-through testing centers but they are generally turned away unless they presently have a fever at time of presentation. The health department refuses to test anyone and provides outdated information to people who call. The infinite loop of stupid as one Houston ED doctor called it.

This artificially drives up the mortality statistics but more concerning is that it contributes to further spread as people are less likely to stay home if they don't know for sure they have it. Even if you do test, the quickest you can get an answer back in 24 hours. There is a bedside serum test that takes ~ 30 minutes but nobody has it.

Oh also, the test we use is right 70% of the time. 30% of the time if gives you a false negative. If you are asymptomatic, you will likely test negative regardless of whether you have the virus. Very few false positives for what it's worth.

Don't get me started on reusing N95 masks over multiple ER shifts and different patients. ER doctors using trash bags for hoods and home depot paint respirators. Trying to use UV lights to re-use masks. 3D printing shit. People using homemade cloth masks which are actually dangerous.

It is a total shit show and we're not getting hit 1/20 as hard as NO, Seattle or NYC.

Last edited:

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
So let's assume 870,000 are actually infected in the US. Using the current death total of 1321, this would result in a fatality rate of 0.001518390804598% which isn't much higher than the flu. Here's hoping the fatality rate is more in line with this calculation than our worst case fears.
I made a similar post at my poker forum and they pointed out the following error:

the error above is that it takes 3-4 weeks for people to succomb to the virus; so if you just look at deaths today you aren't accounting for everyone that's currently infected that will die. So we would expect approximately 10k deaths cumulative approx by the end of April at 1% fatality rate.

Having said that we don't have any reason to expect we will fare better than S. Korea so a floor for the mortality rate should be more like 1.5%
it felt too good to be true 😥

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
There is a bedside serum test that takes ~ 30 minutes but nobody has it.
what do you mean by this?

hang in there bro, I hope the reduced fatality rate as a result of understated infections is a bit of a bright side if there is such a thing

lostxn

DCC 4Life
what do you mean by this?

The test is generally available. Heck the swab test isn't generally available as I already said. New tests generally take months to roll out. In our current predicament I hope it will be sooner.

hang in there bro, I hope the reduced fatality rate as a result of understated infections is a bit of a bright side if there is such a thing
Thanks. Honestly, I feel bad even complaining considering the shit the NYC and NO docs are facing.

Top Bottom