The Coronavirus Thread...

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I don't agree with the restrictions but people are dumb as shit and most of these videos are staged to be funny. It's not funny though, it's just dumb.
I agree with them because people in general are too irresponsible to properly police themselves.

And as @1bigfan13 pointed out, you also have the crowd of "You can't take my rights" people who also don't list for one reason or another.

So the only way we can truly hope to limit the spread is to force people to stay away from other people, because otherwise, too many people will go out due to being stupid, bold, spiteful, or ignorant.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Of course. We have the most confirmed cases in the world. Inaction and stupidity early on are going to cost us dearly in lives and treasure. You can't find a HCW in the ED who doesn't despise Trump right now. You put people's lives and families at risk and they stop listening to Fox News pundits.

Of course, the consequences will occur at the polls, or they won't.
No offense but I think there are other countries with more cases. The numbers just aren't reliable. Especially from other countries.

But New York does look like it's becoming a total mess. I'm glad I live nowhere close to there.

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
Todays update, total infected falling way behind predicted, total deaths exceeding predicted:

Here's some more data on how many tests have occurred in the US

courtesy of this site

Something to consider is the testing in the US right now is not random so its overstating the infection rate due to the fact that the people getting tested are exhibiting symptoms and more likely to have C19. It seems we can deduce from this that FAR more people are already infected with the virus in the US that are either asymptomatic or didn't feel bad enough to go to the doctor &/or get tested.

If we can safely assume the death count is likely to be accurate because its small, easy to track and doesn't require massive testing to determine what it is, ie....a death is a death, test to see if the person had C19 and if it was the cause of the death they add to the total count accordingly. The total number could be understated by deaths that haven't been tested for C19 because they would correctly fall in priority behind that of the living. It could also be overstating C19 death totals for lack of post mortem testing as well. Still, it seems the total deaths as reported is likely to be fairly accurate, certainly much moreso than total infected.

The US currently shows approx 87,000 infected and could potentially be 10x that amount for the aforementioned reasons.

So let's assume 870,000 are actually infected in the US. Using the current death total of 1321, this would result in a fatality rate of 0.001518390804598% which isn't much higher than the flu. Here's hoping the fatality rate is more in line with this calculation than our worst case fears.

Just spitballing while attempting to play armchair mathematician, so let'r rip fellas on any errors in logic, etc you see

Last edited:

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Of course. We have the most confirmed cases in the world. Inaction and stupidity early on are going to cost us dearly in lives and treasure. You can't find a HCW in the ED who doesn't despise Trump right now. You put people's lives and families at risk and they stop listening to Fox News pundits.

You mention China and this administration in the same breath as far as being held responsible...?

And nobody in their right mind would trust the numbers being floated around regarding this pandemic. Especially the ones coming out of China.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

I will take this as a political statement rather than an expert response since I am not aware you have actual inside information from the White House and Congress about what and when they had information that will empirically show that our government should have acted and specifically when evidence will support that the President is negligent.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I will take this as a political statement rather than an expert response since I am not aware you have actual inside information from the White House and Congress about what and when they had information that will empirically show that our government should have acted and specifically when evidence will support that the President is negligent.
This is an empirical fact based on public statements and total lack of preparation of the country. Look I understand you want to protect your little President. He can lie and misstate and have to be corrected repeatedly and you will continue to deflect, deflect, deflect. You hold everyone responsible but you're guy. It's actually pathetic. But now the wolf's at the door. Some of the things being done are good but we're very, very late.

Last edited:

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This is an empirical fact based on public statements and total lack of preparation of the country. Look I understand you want to protect your little President. He can lie and misstate and have to be corrected repeatedly and you will continue to deflect, deflect, deflect. You hold everyone responsible but you're guy. It's actually pathetic. But now the wolf's at the door. Some of the things being done are good but we're very, very late.

First of all he isn’t my President he is our President. And your description of depicting him a a little President paints you as an obvious political intolerant. Finally there is dialogue about the possibility of an outbreak but when can you say is the date and time that makes this a responsibility of only the President. Where was the medical community in this same time frame?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
That's a very tacky comment by Hillary Clinton but please spare us all from the faux anger. Especially when Trump on multiple occasions has mocked the sick, disabled, and dead. And most on the right have had no problems with those comments.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a very tacky comment by Hillary Clinton but please spare us all from the faux anger. Especially when Trump on multiple occasions has mocked the sick, disabled, and dead. And most on the right have had no problems with those comments.
I mean it doesn't really make her comments any less ignorant. What is it they say, two wrongs don't make a right? But then again, who really gives a shit what Hilary says. She isn't relevant anymore.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Why all the political bantering about a national emergency that can kill you and it doesn’t care whether you are a Democrat or Republican or even a Whig? This is not the time to be blame placing or political pussy footing. This is the time to become concerned about your family and friends and not what kind of punches you can sneak in. I’m as bias as the norm but there is a time to lay it down and prioritize our values which should be family neighbors friends and relatives.

Top Bottom