Sturm: You Do Not Have To Talk Me Into Mike Zimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The only drawback to Belichick is if he demands full personnel control, and I guess if you're desiring our next HC to be the guy for the next 10-15 years.

All the other stuff is just bullshit narrative pushing.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The Patriots were a superbowl caliber team and Cassel was throwing to guys like Randy Moss and Wes Welker. Had guys like Wilfork, Bruschi, Seymore, Vrabel, etc... on his defense.

What did we have? a 34 year old Cassel by then and the only credible offensive talent with him was Dez and a 33 year old Witten. On defense, the only credible people were Lawrence and Leegro. Unless you want to call guys like Morris Claiborne and Greg Hardy difference makers.

And Jason Garrett.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Excellent points and he had some badass defenses several of those years too. It's not like Brady carried them every year.
Absolutely. Did he make a huge difference, fuck yes, but Belichick always had a prideful defense that would rise in key situations. Before this season when the O collapsed, you rarely if ever saw them outclassed.

Belichick the GM failed his HC. I’ve always been convinced you can’t perform both roles well for long. Brady really helped cover up deficiencies in talent.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The Patriots were a superbowl caliber team and Cassel was throwing to guys like Randy Moss and Wes Welker. Had guys like Wilfork, Bruschi, Seymore, Vrabel, etc... on his defense.

What did we have? a 34 year old Cassel by then and the only credible offensive talent with him was Dez and a 33 year old Witten. On defense, the only credible people were Lawrence and Leegro. Unless you want to call guys like Morris Claiborne and Greg Hardy difference makers.

And Jason Garrett.

Right but that's the point. For whatever flaws he may have with personnel, Belichick was the main architect of that super bowl caliber team.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Tom Brady the GOAT QB and Bill Belichick the GOAT coach covered for Bill Belichick the average GM. Belichick made some good trades and was very good at cutting bait and never doubling down on his own mistakes, but he did not draft good talent relative to the draft capital he expended.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Tom Brady the GOAT QB and Bill Belichick the GOAT coach covered for Bill Belichick the average GM. Belichick made some good trades and was very good at cutting bait and never doubling down on his own mistakes, but he did not draft good talent relative to the draft capital he expended.
Also, if I'm not mistaken, GM Belichick tried to move off of Brady a few years before Brady actually left for Tampa.

Brady won two more Super Bowls while Belichick was quietly looking for his replacement.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Also, if I'm not mistaken, GM Belichick tried to move off of Brady a few years before Brady actually left for Tampa.

Brady won two more Super Bowls while Belichick was quietly looking for his replacement.

Trying to move on from a 40+ year old QB isn't a crazy idea.

p1_

DCC 4Life
It's obviously going to be Zimmer, I'm guessing they're trying to butter up Durde into staying by making it seem like he's a strong contender.
Wonder if they hold off til after the game to announce.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's obviously going to be Zimmer, I'm guessing they're trying to butter up Durde into staying by making it seem like he's a strong contender.
I hate to admit it, that would be a relief.

That shows you what a turd hunt this whole DC process has been. And a lot of it has to do with how things have rolled out.

Honestly, it looks evident to me that Quinn was not the first choice in Washington and this made things difficult. We had a small glimmer of hope to bring it all back and go all in. Now they have staved off a raid or two on the staff and they probably feel proud of themselves.

All in all, the Joneses are the problem in the process. This is Plan B, which should really be Plan C.

That is what happens when things get difficult, this candy ass organization retreats to the past and the things they are comfortable with.

It would intrigue me to hear exactly what questions were asked in the interview process.

I can't see either Jerry nor his doltish son asking the questions that needed to be asked. If Fat Mike was on the panel, I am sure he asked only the questions that he wanted to hear, which would be solely crafted to sound like it would save his ass.

In a best case scenario, we are back to square one with Zimmer being what Nolan was thought to be and we may compete for the playoffs but be exposed again. In a worse case, it will be a true sinking ship on fire descending into the drink.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
In a best case scenario, we are back to square one with Zimmer being what Nolan was thought to be and we may compete for the playoffs but be exposed again. In a worse case, it will be a true sinking ship on fire descending into the drink.
That's your best case scenario? That Zimmer is a competent coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom