Sturm: You Do Not Have To Talk Me Into Mike Zimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
For the record, Bellichick said recently that he doesn't need total control.
I had not heard that. I'm not saying I want him, because I still hate the decisions he makes for assistant coaches but I'm surprised by this. It's smart on his part though, as a GM he is one of the worst in the NFL. So if your choice was, I get the best coach in the NFL but I also have to take the worst GM in the NFL, that's a tough pill to swallow.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Over Jerry? Yeah, I'd take my chances with that. :lol
I get the Jerry part of this but our team is worlds more talented than the Patriots right now. Probably because Jerry is more of an absent minded GM who lets other people do almost everything. The only benefit to Bill is you can fire him when he destroys the roster. You can't fire Jerry if he does that.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I had not heard that. I'm not saying I want him, because I still hate the decisions he makes for assistant coaches but I'm surprised by this. It's smart on his part though, as a GM he is one of the worst in the NFL. So if you're choice was, I get the best coach in the NFL but I also have to take the worst GM in the NFL, that's a tough pill to swallow.

January 8 - New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick said Monday he's still "under contract" and will continue to "do what I always do," adding that he's willing to abdicate personnel responsibilities if that's "the best thing to help our football team."

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Over Jerry? Yeah, I'd take my chances with that. :lol
I now it's en vogue to shit on anything regarding Jerry, but he's been in control for quite awhile. And while we haven't won what we all want, we have been a winning team that's competitive. Other than when he had one of the best QBs of all time, what has Belichick done without him? Take a look at the Patriots roster right now. One that he was in complete control over.

Genghis Khan

The only benefit to Bill is you can fire him when he destroys the roster. You can't fire Jerry if he does that.

That's an enormous benefit though, and one we trail just about the entire league on.

To be honest, if we are pointing to reasons why we haven't advanced further in the past almost 30 years, that might be number 1 by a country mile.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's an enormous benefit though, and one we trail just about the entire league on.

To be honest, if we are pointing to reasons why we haven't advanced further in the past almost 30 years, that might be number 1 by a country mile.
Yeah the problem is, if you then fire Bill, you're back to Jerry. So in our particular instance, no I wouldn't take Bill as our GM. I feel dirty for giving Jerry any sort of credit, but if we are calling Jerry the GM, his drafts run circles around Bill's drafts.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I dunno, we might draft guys like Bossman, Nashon, Golston, and Mazi. :tippytoe
Every team has draft busts. From top to bottom.

Even with those guys you mentioned, we've been one of the better drafting teams for some time now.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Every team has draft busts. From top to bottom.

Even with those guys you mentioned, we've been one of the better drafting teams for some time now.
I know it. We've drafted well for several years now, until this last one. I do think those second and third rounders that contribute next to nothing don't get talked about enough, though.

And for me, I wouldn't mind Belichick having a big say in drafting just because I think it would be weird to throw players at him that he didn't want. And it would take away from his gravitas if Jerry were picking the players. Part of being a legend is having that kind of control.

But like I said, I think the whole Belichick talk is academic anyway, because it won't happen.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And it would take away from his gravitas if Jerry were picking the players
I mean do you really give Jerry credit for drafting the players right now? Jerry might sit in the room, Jerry might have the ability to say no to a pick, but in reality Jerry isn't doing anything in the draft. He wants to pretend like he is. He wants to pretend like he is some big deal. But McClay, McCarthy and Quinn are the ones running the draft the last few years. Jerry is the kid brother that you let pretend like he is on the team, but it's just to make him feel important.

Genghis Khan

I mean do you really give Jerry credit for drafting the players right now? Jerry might sit in the room, Jerry might have the ability to say no to a pick, but in reality Jerry isn't doing anything in the draft. He wants to pretend like he is. He wants to pretend like he is some big deal. But McClay, McCarthy and Quinn are the ones running the draft the last few years. Jerry is the kid brother that you let pretend like he is on the team, but it's just to make him feel important.

I disagree with that.

I think he listens a lot to his assistants and mcclay and so forth, but he's still the final say and makes the call.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I know it. We've drafted well for several years now, until this last one. I do think those second and third rounders that contribute next to nothing don't get talked about enough, though.

And for me, I wouldn't mind Belichick having a big say in drafting just because I think it would be weird to throw players at him that he didn't want. And it would take away from his gravitas if Jerry were picking the players. Part of being a legend is having that kind of control.

But like I said, I think the whole Belichick talk is academic anyway, because it won't happen.
I think Belichick and McClay working together could yield excellent results but there's no scenario where you can give Belichick complete control over personnel, and if he demanded that it'd be a dealbreaker for me.

It didn't work in New England once Brady left and it sure as shit won't work here, but if he was fine simply having a "large voice" (whatever that means exactly) in personnel and worked hand in hand with McClay, I think it could be really good.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
The thing that gets me about drafting Bossman is that everyone and their fucking mother knew he was a moron, yet they drafted him anyway with a high pick based on whatever that fucking athletic testing method is called where the test numbers are green, yellow, or red. And I'm guessing the same thing was done with the fucktard Sam Williams.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I disagree with that.

I think he listens a lot to his assistants and mcclay and so forth, but he's still the final say and makes the call.
I mean technically isn't that the case with all owners? They all literally have "final say." Meaning every owner in the NFL can decide to pick or not pick a player. We see examples of this all the time.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
I also like the fact that Zimmer is a little bit of a hardass. I think Quinn was very much a players coach and I think that's why things began to slide. I think Zimmer would help to bring some discipline back to the defense.

That's what I like the most. Our entitled players are in desperate need of discipline.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Not me. Not even a little bit.

All timer talk or not, I'd rather have the format we have now picking players over Belichick. He is... not good.

And imo, Bill got his 'legend' status thanks to that once in a lifetime stroke of luck called Tom Brady. Not by his having control.

Ideally, we'd have neither scenario. But since we have zero chance of that happening, I'll just be happy with that last line there.

Genghis Khan

I mean technically isn't that the case with all owners? They all literally have "final say." Meaning every owner in the NFL can decide to pick or not pick a player. We see examples of this all the time.

In theory, sure. But I'd bet a lot of owners don't exercise it on a regular basis let alone every single decision like Jerry does.

Genghis Khan

And imo, Bill got his 'legend' status thanks to that once in a lifetime stroke of luck called Tom Brady. Not by his having control.

I'll say this about that, though.

Belichick drafted Brady, and he did so when they already thought they had a franchise QB in Bledsoe.

I can't blame Belichick for his draft failures without also giving him credit for drafting Brady. Yes it was luck, but every other team had an opportunity to get lucky drafting him for 5 rounds and no one else did it.

I also think it would be interesting to see Belichick coach a team with a QB like Dak.

You can say he never won without Brady and that's true, but it's a long way down from Brady to Mac Jones. A QB that is pretty good like Dak is might be enough for Belichick to win with.

We can talk all day about Jerry vs Belichick but the reality is that if Belichick came here he wouldn't have full control or Jerry wouldn't do it. So if he was here it'd be with the same basic structure we have now.

So Belichick plus our drafting prowess plus a good QB and a young Ceedee? Sure, I'd try that.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It was the 6th round. Basically an afterthought, throwaway pick for a QB. I’m not impressed. If they had actually thought there was something to him, they’d have taken him sooner. Same deal with Purdy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom