Sturm: You Do Not Have To Talk Me Into Mike Zimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
In theory, sure. But I'd bet a lot of owners don't exercise it on a regular basis let alone every single decision like Jerry does.
I don't think he does but to say, yeah, do what McClay says.

I'm not saying that has always been the case, we know it's not. But I don't think he has really exercised it since the Zach Martin incident. Jerry just loves telling the world he has that authority, so that he can take credit when a great player is picked. But it's a stupid point for him to make since every owner really has that authority. And they exercise it about as much as he does these days.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I don't think he does but to say, yeah, do what McClay says.

I'm not saying that has always been the case, we know it's not. But I don't think he has really exercised it since the Zach Martin incident. Jerry just loves telling the world he has that authority, so that he can take credit when a great player is picked. But it's a stupid point for him to make since every owner really has that authority. And they exercise it about as much as he does these days.

I really really don't think it's the same at all as other places.

I wouldn't say it's as bad as it used to be, but a lot of that is he stopped listening to idiots like Lacewell.

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
It was the 6th round. Basically an afterthought, throwaway pick for a QB. I’m not impressed. If they had actually thought there was something to him, they’d have taken him sooner. Same deal with Purdy.
Both Brady and Purdy are examples of the stars aligning just right. In other words, luck.

But it still takes a coaching staff to mold them and fit them in to a successful scheme. At some point, six SB wins ain't just luck.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
I'll say this about that, though.

Belichick drafted Brady, and he did so when they already thought they had a franchise QB in Bledsoe.

I can't blame Belichick for his draft failures without also giving him credit for drafting Brady. Yes it was luck, but every other team had an opportunity to get lucky drafting him for 5 rounds and no one else did it.

I also think it would be interesting to see Belichick coach a team with a QB like Dak.

You can say he never won without Brady and that's true, but it's a long way down from Brady to Mac Jones. A QB that is pretty good like Dak is might be enough for Belichick to win with.

We can talk all day about Jerry vs Belichick but the reality is that if Belichick came here he wouldn't have full control or Jerry wouldn't do it. So if he was here it'd be with the same basic structure we have now.

So Belichick plus our drafting prowess plus a good QB and a young Ceedee? Sure, I'd try that.

Excellent points and he had some badass defenses several of those years too. It's not like Brady carried them every year.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Both Brady and Purdy are examples of the stars aligning just right. In other words, luck.

But it still takes a coaching staff to mold them and fit them in to a successful scheme. At some point, six SB wins ain't just luck.
Nobody said it was. But there is no denying that Belichick’s track record as a HC sucked before and after Brady.

He’s a good coach. But he’s overrated because of that stroke of luck. Good thing Bledsoe got hurt, eh?

• Haha
Reactions: p1_

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
Belichick is the GOAT defensive coordinator for sure.

His HC track record is completely dependent on Tom Brady. Sucked before and after like someone said.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Belichick is the GOAT defensive coordinator for sure.

His HC track record is completely dependent on Tom Brady. Sucked before and after like someone said.
But the one year with Matt Castle or something, what do you say about that!!!!!

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
He actually was doing a good job at Cleveland, though, before Modell moved the team and sabotaged that year.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This whole talk about Belichick reminds me of this...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Laugh all you want but it does dispel the idea that he sucks without Brady. Heck he won 10 games with Mac Jones.
I think he is a great defensive coordinator and I think he is a great head coach. I just think he is awful at picking players. And awful at picking assistant coaches. I actually had Cassell pop into my head because on radio yesterday they were talking about how they couldn't believe Josh McDaniels didn't have a job, and pointed to that as the example. I found it a bit ridiculous in that instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom